WSU @ KSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
    I agree, I don't think Gene's philosophy of recruiting 'athletes' is working anymore. Because obviously, we aren't getting the best ones and it shows. I wouldn't have a problem with getting the athletes if they played with a chip on their shoulder and showed some damn emotion. If a UFC cage match had to go down with the '88, '91, '93, Shox (hell any team circa '78 to '99) versus the current team, it would be an obliteration of ginormous proportions.
    Gene's philosophy is: Steal bases, move runners, hit up the middle. He plays small ball and that doesn't work anymore in college baseball. Plus, every single player on the team has nearly the exact same body type: they're all 6'1" kids who are fast and hit line drives. Heck, I don't think we've even had a kid with any sort of scary power since Drew Moffitt. Maybe that's due to the MVC being bad and no good recruits want to come here anymore and would rather go BCS. Maybe that's due to other colleges throwing money at baseball now. Maybe it's due to Gene and the gang not recruiting outside of about 3 states. Probably all of them. But whatever it is, it isn't working.
    Last edited by XManCometh; April 10, 2013, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
      Gene's philosophy is: Steal bases, move runners, hit up the middle. He plays small ball and that doesn't work anymore in college baseball.
      Not sure I'm buying that. In this day and age of BBCOR bats you better be able to play small ball. Something we do not do well at all.

We stole 79 bases last year in 113 attemtps which according to Shane Dennis is far and away the lowest total in the Stephenson era. Of course, you have to get on base to steal a base.

Gene hates using a straight sacrifice and apparently they don't work on it much because when they do try it they usually screw it up. A good straight sacrifice by a Shocker player is usually good for a standing ovation.

We don't seem to hit and run very well either and I am not sure Gene even calls for it as much as he used to.

Bottom line is the Shocks have been very poor in recent years in moving runners and playing small ball IMHO. Heck one of our big issues in recent years is that we strike-out a lot. Not a characteristic of a small ball team.

You have to be able to play small ball in today's college game. There simply are not that many teams that can overpower you with the bats currently being used. You have to be able to take walks, move runners, steal a base, hit and run. And the Shocks really don't do that well.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 10, 2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Not sure I'm buying that. In this day and age of BBCOR bats you better be able to play small ball. Something we do not do well at all.

We stole 79 bases last year in 113 attemtps which according to Shane Dennis is far and away the lowest total in the Stephenson era. Of course, you have to get on base to steal a base.

Gene hates using a straight sacrifice and apparently they don't work on it much because when they do try it they usually screw it up. A good straight sacrifice by a Shocker player is usually god for a standing ovation.

We don't seem to hit and run very well either and I am not sure Gene even calls for it as much as he used to.

Bottom line is the Shocks have been very poor in recent years in moving runners and playing small ball IMHO. Heck one of our big issues in recent years is that we strike-out a lot. Not a characteristic of a small ball team.

You have to be able to play small ball in today's college game. There simply or not that many teams that can overpower you with the bats currently being used. You have to be able to take walks, move runners, steal a base, hit and run. And that Shocks really don't do that well.
        This is the absolute truth.In this era of BBCOR bats Genes philosophy does not work.He despises the sacrifice bunt and if you have ever watched a Gene coached team you would know this.He hates small ball and playes the game like we have Pat Magness and Joe Carter still playing with the old rocket launcher bats they used to have.

Comment

The problems is not the BBCOR bats with this team - it is because they no longer have elite talent for hitters, they have AVERAGE HITTERS. WSU is averaging 5.35 runs/game and College baseball average is 5.25 runs per game. Top 25 teams average 6.5 runs per game and CWS caliber teams (Top 10) average 7.1 runs per game.

2nd problem is WSU pitching is not as good. With scoring down some in college baseball, you would think that scoring on a WSU pitching staff would even be tougher - but it is not. WSU pitching used to be able to close out 1 runs games. Now a 6 run lead in the 8th is not safe.

If you have average players, you have average results.

Comment

I agree on BBCOR bats not being the issue. If you know how to hit then the bats are not an issue. I've watched 11 year kids hit with BBCOR bats who show more power that the Shox. In the games that I have watched we just dont look good at the plate period. Gillespie is about the only one who looks decent up there.

now granted these kids grew up using your standard composite/aluminum bats and have gotten by with crazy numbers so there is some getting used to them. But at what point does the coaching staff "coughjimthomascough" say "this isnt working"?

Im speaking to the choir here but you know....

Comment

We have a small team.... little to no power and no power pitching.

Long season cometh.

I look at the other team I like, UNC, and it's just not even close. WSU is about a decade behind the top programs right now.

Comment

Whats that say about the downfall of WSU pitching if the bats are the hitters problem?

Comment

Working...
                X