Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Hoop doesn't have his diploma, does he?
    Is that a requirement for just the head coach or does it include assistants? I know JT did not get his degree until 1993, but was hired full-time in July of 1992.

Comment

Now that he's been away from it for about 3 years, I wonder if Travis Wyckoff would reconsider coaching? If not head coach, certainly as the pitching coach. I would imagine WSU would be better from a security and financial stand point than CU or DB.

I might add, as far as the money issue goes, WSU would not be out what they would pay our current staff. We are on the hook for that regardless, here or not. Well, as far as Gene and BK are concerned. JT is on a year to year. Therefore, WSU would have JT's salary to apply. So, we would only be out the difference between the current staff's salary vs the new staff minus JT's salary.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        Is that a requirement for just the head coach or does it include assistants? I know JT did not get his degree until 1993, but was hired full-time in July of 1992.
        I believe your head coach has to have a college degree.

Comment

Watched ULL play LSU last year. Seemed like a well coached team, was just over matched talent wise. I think it was 4-0 LSU.

Definitely played well defensively, and saying that Deggs is feiry is an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
            A couple of current assistants who I think will be future stars are Matt Deggs of Louisiana-Lafayette and Tony Vitello of TCU.

Deggs was the Associate HC at Texas A&M and was widely regarded as the brains behind the operation when Childress got to Aggieland. Before that he was an assistant and chief recruiter for DVH at Arkansas. The man has big time connections and is fiery. He would do great.

Tony Vitello has been at TCU for about three years. Before that he was at Mizzou where he played a huge hand in reviving a very mediocre program. And hey since he left, they have reverted back to mediocrity. Coincidence? He recruited and then as pitching coach molded Max Scherzer, Aaron Crow, and a kid by the name of Kyle Gibson who could be in the Twins rotation to start the year this season. Worth a look.
            That was an intelligent contributory post. I think in the future you should stick solely to baseball on this forum.

Comment

Hoop doesn't have his diploma, does he?
              In fact he does. I have a hard time thinking that he would not take the job if offered. There is a lot more room for him to grow at WSU then with the Wingnuts.
              although the best things in life are free, upgrades are usually available

Comment

PJ Forbes

Comment

If we can't get Hooper (and Wedge is out of the question, trust me) then I think we go outside the family and get the best person available. There are many qualified candidates out there.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    If we can't get Hooper (and Wedge is out of the question, trust me) then I think we go outside the family and get the best person available. There are many qualified candidates out there.
                    This. Hoop may or may not be a qualified hire, and I think a person could make the same argument for Mark Standiford. Everyone else in the "family" coaching tree is super underwhelming as a candidate.

A program with the 20th best attendance (not happening this year obvz) and comparable salary can do better than hiring retired assistant coaches from DBU or minor league hitting coaches.

Comment

Personally I like Standiford. After what he has done by bringing Tabor back into the national picture in the KCAC, I think he at least deserves a look. Whether he would take it is another story. On a side note, haven't been on these boards for a long, long time. Feels good to be back

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
                        Personally I like Standiford. After what he has done by bringing Tabor back into the national picture in the KCAC
                        Tabor College records under coach Standiford

2009 - 22-31
                        2010 - 33-19 - 2nd in conference
                        2011 - 45-14 - 2nd in conference, 2nd in tournament Ranked in top 25, for 6 straight weeks
                        2012 - 44-15 - 1st in conference, 2nd in tournament, 2nd in regional, Ranked as high as 17 in the country

Individual accomplishments under coach Standiford:

3 - All Americans
                        1 - Draft choice
                        4 - players played professionally
                        23 - All-Conference. players
                        2 - male athletes of the year at Tabor

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                          Tabor College records under coach Standiford

2009 - 22-31
                          2010 - 33-19 - 2nd in conference
                          2011 - 45-14 - 2nd in conference, 2nd in tournament Ranked in top 25, for 6 straight weeks
                          2012 - 44-15 - 1st in conference, 2nd in tournament, 2nd in regional, Ranked as high as 17 in the country

Individual accomplishments under coach Standiford:

3 - All Americans
                          1 - Draft choice
                          4 - players played professionally
                          23 - All-Conference. players
                          2 - male athletes of the year at Tabor
                          I agree that he should be looked at, but many are going to question whether a guy can make the jump from NAIA II to D1 and be successful. Having 3 AAs at Tabor is impressive as well as the 2 male atheltes of the year, considering they have a very good basketball program and football there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                            I agree that he should be looked at, but many are going to question whether a guy can make the jump from NAIA II to D1 and be successful. Having 3 AAs at Tabor is impressive as well as the 2 male atheltes of the year, considering they have a very good basketball program and football there as well.
                            Let's keep in mind, Hooper to make the jump from the Wingnuts to D-1 ball may not be that smooth either. Different kind of "recruiting", a lot of managing more than instructional, dealing with pro players and not HS kids.

Comment

Hooper.......has to get........his diploma.........before he can be...........head coach at WSU.

Comment

Hooper.......has to get........his diploma.........before he can be...........head coach at WSU.
                                I thought he got it finally.

Comment

Working...
                                X