Pittsburgh vs WSU Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pittsburgh vs WSU Preview

Pittsburgh is coached by Joe Jordano (who is their winningest coach in their program) and was inducted into the Erie Hall of fame. I believe this is Pittsburgh last year in the Big East before going to the ACC. Pittsburgh program is not fully funded. Scholarships are underfunded by 5 scholarships as of 2011, but he is hoping with their move to the ACC the administration will commit additional funds so he can recruit 3-5 more players.

Pittsburgh finished 28-28 last year with RPI of 174 which was good enough for 8th in the Big East. They were 2-3 versus Top 50, 4-13 versus Top 100. Their best wins were against Coastal Carolina, Louisville, St. Johns and Mich. St.

For 2013 their are predicted to finish 7th in the the Big East by the league coaches. They have no players projected on the All-Conference team. Only player on BA top prospects for the league is their catcher Elvin Soto (7 HR, 0.250/0.314/0.398) - he did throw out 38% of the runners attempting to steal.

They are returning 6 positions layers and 6 pitchers, losing 3 position and 1 pitcher.

Top Returning position players:

OF Boo Vazquez 1 HR, 0.327/0.401/0.440
    OF Case Roche 3 HR, 0.323/0.427/0.483
    3B Sam Parente 0 HR, 0.302/0.378/0.358
    SS Evan Oswald 0 HR, 0.299/0.391/0.344

Top Returning Pitchers
    Ethan Midren 3.76, 95 IP, 72 K
    Alex Caravella, 4.07, 55 IP, 39 K
    Tanner Wilt 4.08, 17 IP, 14 K (6 saves)
    Matt Wotherspoon 5.03, 91 IP, 86 K

Pittsburgh 2012 stats (WSU comparable numbers in "( )"
    Avg: 0.290 (0.277)
    OBP: 0.376 (0.353)
    SLG: 0.399 (0.385)
    SB: 49 (79)
    HR: 24 (31)
    SAC: 31 (35)
    Fielding: 0.967 (0.974)

ERA: 4.50 (3.45)
    Opp Avg: 0.281 (0.250)
    K/9 7.3 (6.2)
    BB/9 2.9 (3.1)
    HR: 19 (31)

There is usually a big difference in baseball between the Big East and the ACC. Pittsburgh is really going to have to go through a tough transition.

Comment

A snapshot of their upcoming season states;

"The Panthers bring back a solid squad in 2013 which features six returning position starters and two pitchers who were part of the weekend rotation. Returnees in 2013 accounted for 74 percent of the team's RBI and 72 percent of the team's runs scored in 2012. Additionally, returning pitchers accounted for 79 percent of innings pitched and 80 percent of total strikeouts."

In addition, their site states their 2013 recruiting class as being ranked nationally (40th). Looks like the move to the ACC is already providing dividends to them.

I'm going to make my first prediction of the year. If we sweep these guys and score 15 plus in each game, we're going to the NCAA's and will win 40 plus games.

Comment

I don't think pittsburgh is a great team but I don't think they are Howard either. Their pitching staff numbers are respectable so I think they will give wsu hitters a challenge and will give us an idea of how this team has progressed over the offseason hitting wise. I would hope wsu offense could score 6-8 runs.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          I don't think pittsburgh is a great team but I don't think they are Howard either. Their pitching staff numbers are respectable so I think they will give wsu hitters a challenge and will give us an idea of how this team has progressed over the offseason hitting wise. I would hope wsu offense could score 6-8 runs.
          That is 6-8 runs per game, not for the series.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post

"The Panthers bring back a solid squad in 2013 which features six returning position starters and two pitchers who were part of the weekend rotation. Returnees in 2013 accounted for 74 percent of the team's RBI and 72 percent of the team's runs scored in 2012. Additionally, returning pitchers accounted for 79 percent of innings pitched and 80 percent of total strikeouts."

In addition, their site states their 2013 recruiting class as being ranked nationally (40th). Looks like the move to the ACC is already providing dividends to them.

I'm going to make my first prediction of the year. If we sweep these guys and score 15 plus in each game, we're going to the NCAA's and will win 40 plus games.
            Expect much? 15 runs each game? Three one run wins and I will be happy.

Comment

This is as close to you can get to a must sweep series to start the year. With the overall lack of strength of your nonconference schedule you really have to run the table to be in the at large discussion in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post

Wow. I guess you're reverting back to 1989 for your expectations?

Kind of interesting that this season's fate, in your eyes, is determined by the first weekend.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
                  This is as close to you can get to a must sweep series to start the year. With the overall lack of strength of your nonconference schedule you really have to run the table to be in the at large discussion in my opinion.
                  No one cares what you think.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
                    At large?

What the **** are you smoking?

This is not an at large program any longer, they have to win the MVC post season to get to the NCAA.
                    An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Wow. I guess you're reverting back to 1989 for your expectations?

Kind of interesting that this season's fate, in your eyes, is determined by the first weekend.
                      C'mon Fever. We were still scoring in the 20's in the late 90's (when we were still going good). I just decided to be overzealous and would take it as a good sign if we can score 15 plus, then we just might be a 40 game winning team again.

Comment

Unfortunately, to score 15, you need home run hitters. Does this team have more than maybe 1 that would be considered that?

And to be the defending 8th place finisher in the Big East means you were TERRIBLE! That would most likely be good for last place in the MVC right behind UNI.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                          Unfortunately, to score 15, you need home run hitters. Does this team have more than maybe 1 that would be considered that?

And to be the defending 8th place finisher in the Big East means you were TERRIBLE! That would most likely be good for last place in the MVC right behind UNI.
                          I see what you did there.

Comment

Working...
                          X