8. EU

Pre-Season Coaches All Conference Team
      Johnny Coy (only WSU player)

BU x2
      ISUR x 3
      ISUB x 2
      MSU x 4
      SIU x1
      No surprise to see MSU picked to win. They're returning most a very good pitching staff anchored by Petree who is a stud and Burgess is a good closer. Their staff ERA was a SICK 2.57, which is almost unbelievable for a college pitching staff. If they can score just 3-4 runs, they'll win most games.

Ths Shox have a lot to prove this year coming off a 35-25 season. A WHOLE lot.

--'85.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Coy hit the nail on the head last night by saying what they need to do this year is play consistently. The team has shown glimmers of being a very good program, but would shoot that down their leg with a complete letdown (or several) following what had been some nice performances.
        Last edited by SPEShockAlum; January 31, 2013, 12:28 PM. Reason: Bone-headed grammatical errors.

Comment

I thought sCUm, with the move to their new fancy off-campus digs, was gonna be the next best thing in college baseball since sliced bread?

Looks like they're on the same heading as MSU, with their flash in the pan success.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            I thought sCUm, with the move to their new fancy off-campus digs, was gonna be the next best thing in college baseball since sliced bread?

Looks like they're on the same heading as MSU, with their flash in the pan success.

MSU? Flash in the pan? Its only been 8 years since the power moved to the ozarks.

Comment

MSU is the clear pick to win the league this year with 60 votes.

OTOH, you can throw a blanket over the Shocks (47), Illlinois State (45) and Indiana State (45) for 2nd through 4th.

If the Shocks repeat last year's performance we could easily be looking at a 4th place finish.

I really have no idea what to expect from the Shocks this year. I think we can finish anywhere from 1st to 5th.

Hopefully the move of Cale Elam into a starting role will work out well and we get another outstanding year from Kris Gardner and we can find someone capable of closing games consistently. On offense we, of course, need big years from Johnny and Casey and hope a few other guys step up their production significantly this year.

We have a few nice pieces on this team but do we have enough pieces overall to put together a strong year? Time will tell.

Good luck Shocks.

Comment

Despite getting a lot of love in the preseason polls, I expect us to have a tough road to a title this season. There is a lot of quality in this conference.

Our pitching certainly will garner plenty of headlines and rightfully so but I am really stoked about our lineup. I had the opportunity to watch the team go through some drills in the fall and spoke to Coach Evans for quite a while. We talked a lot of pitching of course, but he was really gushing about the defense and baserunning. He said the speed and athleticism are off the charts. He also felt like we would be the best looking team in the conference. He was speaking of size and physique. These kids definitely do look the part. Now is the hard part actually winning games. 16 days.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
                  Despite getting a lot of love in the preseason polls, I expect us to have a tough road to a title this season. There is a lot of quality in this conference.

Our pitching certainly will garner plenty of headlines and rightfully so but I am really stoked about our lineup. I had the opportunity to watch the team go through some drills in the fall and spoke to Coach Evans for quite a while. We talked a lot of pitching of course, but he was really gushing about the defense and baserunning. He said the speed and athleticism are off the charts. He also felt like we would be the best looking team in the conference. He was speaking of size and physique. These kids definitely do look the part. Now is the hard part actually winning games. 16 days.
                  Hey, looking for a shirt for my kids in a small shop in Baton Rouge, I came across a Southwest Missouri State hat in a bin. I asked how much it was. He said if I bought a shirt I could have it. I bought the shirt said no thanks to the hat, but if anyone you know might be interested in it let me know. I'm sure we could work out something.

Comment

I think Coy hit the nail on the head. The Shox need more consistency in their play.

I am looking forward to this season. I like what I saw of the Shox this fall.

Comment

Any guesses on the starting rotation opening weekend?

Comment

Kris Gardner, Cale Elam and A.J. Ladwig.

I am cheating a little bit because these were the names that Brent threw out on this past Tuesday's Sports Daily show. He didn't say this was necessarily locked-in but he didn't really throw anyone else out their either that I recall.

Kris was great last year and had a good summer. Cale has the arsenal if he can adjust to be a starter. Cale had a so-so summer at best. A.J. is a strike-thrower (maybe pitching too much in the strike zone). A.J. had a terrible summer and was shut down early. Hopefully, his arm was just tired and needed some time off.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                          I think Coy hit the nail on the head. The Shox need more consistency in their play.
                          Now if he could just hit a D1 breaking ball with consistency. ;)
                          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                            Now if he could just hit a D1 breaking ball with consistency. ;)
                            Is that you JJ? (I know its not)

Comment

The preseason poll isn't too bad. Hopefully the Shox will come in with a little chip on their shoulder. I love seeing Cu picked for 7th.

Comment

Working...
                              X