Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 34 man roster limit plus full schollys coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 34 man roster limit plus full schollys coming?

Kendall Rogers is reporting that D1 Baseball going to a 34 man roster limit in 2025. In addition , it is likely to move to a head count sport with 34 available scholarships. Maybe there is a thread on here about this but if so I missed it.

We're in the middle of college baseball's Golden Age, and the sport's situation is about to get even better with a move to allowing programs to offer full scholarships.

I am glad they are making the move. It has been ridiculous that they could not give to every player on the roster. Now, it will be interesting to see if WSU finds a way to give their full allotment of scholarships.

Comment

This wasn't done to help American, MVC, Sunbelt, or other non-power 3 schools who don't have big time football money. It was done to help those schools monopolize the best baseball players.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        This wasn't done to help American, MVC, Sunbelt, or other non-power 3 schools who don't have big time football money. It was done to help those schools monopolize the best baseball players.
        I don't disagree but your missing the part that roster limits are shrinking from 40 to 34. At the P4 level, all 40 of those players were getting $$$. It definitely makes it significantly more expensive for the Shox to play at the highest level though. It's not going to stop our best talent from being bought up by the SEC and Big XII, but it might stop some guys from transferring out to non power schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post

I don't disagree but your missing the part that roster limits are shrinking from 40 to 34. At the P4 level, all 40 of those players were getting $$$. It definitely makes it significantly more expensive for the Shox to play at the highest level though. It's not going to stop our best talent from being bought up by the SEC and Big XII, but it might stop some guys from transferring out to non power schools.
          Actually, I think you missed the point. The only schools who probably will be able to afford 34 full baseball scholarships, full Volleyball scholarships, the T&F scholarships that are coming, etc. are the P3 schools who receive money for football, and some of the P3 schools won't even be able to fund all of their sports with Scholarship/NIL monies.

Comment

Actually, I think you missed the point. The only schools who probably will be able to afford 34 full baseball scholarships, full Volleyball scholarships, the T&F scholarships that are coming, etc. are the P3 schools who receive money for football, and some of the P3 schools won't even be able to fund all of their sports with Scholarship/NIL monies.
            You are correct. I didn't realize until over the weekend that scholarships for all sports are ballooning. I thought it was just baseball. By my count, to max out scholarships in Mens Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Volleyball, and bowling (the headliner sports at WSU) it would require us to add about 50 full rides. That doesn't include Women's Soccer and it's 28 scholarships which I assume is now DOA.

Comment

Had an opportunity to talk with The Voice of the Shockers last week. I did get the chance to ask him what he thought of the then proposed changes in scholarships. He agreed with me that if and when it happened WSU would find itself in some what of a bind to fund all the additional scholarships. We talked a little about the NIL and SASO donations and the response to raising money "AT This Level" and what it will take to fund the Next Level. He thought that the whole NIL situation and college athletics was "all messed up". I asked him what he thought of the premise that people have said they would give money when the product improved. His answer was it was like the Chicken and the egg question. Interesting response and one you can think hard about as probably many have. My thoughts are money is needed to at least stay competitive with the rest of the conference so my thinking is the money needs to be available for the product to improve. One must also trust the people involved to handle the money in a reasonable manner which kind of puts ADKS as the man to trust. In my own case I do trust him to mange the money and our program. Go Shocks

Comment

You are correct. I didn't realize until over the weekend that scholarships for all sports are ballooning. I thought it was just baseball. By my count, to max out scholarships in Mens Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Volleyball, and bowling (the headliner sports at WSU) it would require us to add about 50 full rides. That doesn't include Women's Soccer and it's 28 scholarships which I assume is now DOA.

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-college...210542040.html
                While 50 more full rides means 50 less people paying tuition, I struggle to see how that affect COSTS too much. Overall attendance number fluctuate more than that every year. You aren't going to hire additional staff for teaching for 50 students. So really no additional cost outlays from the tuition part.

There would be cost if you are providing lodging, extra expenses, books (though a lot are all digital now anyways) etc etc.

Maybe its just an accounting requirement for the athletic department to fund them back to the university, but from a true "come up with dollars" standpoint, I don't see how it is insurmountable. NIL is a whole different ballgame though.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

While 50 more full rides means 50 less people paying tuition, I struggle to see how that affect COSTS too much. Overall attendance number fluctuate more than that every year. You aren't going to hire additional staff for teaching for 50 students. So really no additional cost outlays from the tuition part.

There would be cost if you are providing lodging, extra expenses, books (though a lot are all digital now anyways) etc etc.

Maybe its just an accounting requirement for the athletic department to fund them back to the university, but from a true "come up with dollars" standpoint, I don't see how it is insurmountable. NIL is a whole different ballgame though.
                  We could probably find out that number real quick. Does anyone on here know what an in State full ride is worth for a student athlete at WSU?

Comment

We could probably find out that number real quick. Does anyone on here know what an in State full ride is worth for a student athlete at WSU?
                    In state Tuition only is approximately 15K and Out of state is app. 25K Tuition only. Room and Board would balloon it another 15K so my approximation is 35-40K per athlete, and I think 50 is a very low number. Plus to compete for the best athletes, NIL will be on top of that. The best athletes are receiving million dollar offers and corvettes as an NIL sweetners on top of the costs we are talking about. A 30K dollar car won't do it anymore.

I don't see WSU competing with the lowest of the Big 12 athletes that are highly sought after by even (TCU, Baylor, KSU, etc.) low level Big 12 schools and that takes us off of the lists of the Upper level Big 12, Big 10, SEC, etc. We probably would be on the level of lower Big East schools like Creighton for some athletes.

Comment

SASO pays the University the 30-40K per athlete every year. NIL groups pay the high level and elite (for the highest national) athletes. Most likely, we are talking about 2 Million (maybe double that) for these athletes depending on the exact numbers, and with NIL, much more, and this isn’t counting the facilities race dollars from the athletic department, necessary to be competitive.
                      Last edited by Shockm; August 1, 2024, 02:39 PM.

Comment

SASO pays the University the 30-40K per athlete every year. NIL groups pay the high level and elite (for the highest national) athletes. Most likely, we are talking about 2 Million (maybe double that) for these athletes depending on the exact numbers, and with NIL, much more, and this isn’t counting the facilities race dollars from the athletic department, necessary to be competitive.
                        So sounds like its all an accounting shortfall on the scholarship part moreso than a cash outlay shortfall.

Now I agree with NIL and facilities .. that's a whole different ballgame

Comment

So sounds like its all an accounting shortfall on the scholarship part moreso than a cash outlay shortfall.

Now I agree with NIL and facilities .. that's a whole different ballgame
                          The monies are all interconnected.

Comment

The monies are all interconnected.
                            Yup. It's all a shell game with a slush fund.

Comment

Is there an actual cost to the university as far as classes go? It seems to me that classes are a sunk cost anyway. Why can't the university wave tuition for scholarship athletes? Does it really add a cost to the university? Now that the schools can pay athletes directly it seems to me this would be the way. I admit I could be naive, but if it is all a shell game anyway, then why not?
                              Go Shocks!

Comment

Working...
                              X