Stephenson Stadium - it's time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephenson Stadium - it's time

As JJ has called for, it is time for Eck to be renamed after Gene Stephenson
    Media people must start asking why this is not being done. Start with Sports Daily when they do their weekly talks with the AD.

gene2.jpg

I agree but there are generally written contracts that deal with naming rights that have to be dealt with. Ironically, one Gene may even had been involved with. They could probably name the overall baseball complex to encompass the stadium, field, practice facility and parking facilities the Gene Stephenson Baseball Complex.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 5, 2024, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      I agree but there are generally written contracts that deal with naming rights that have to be dealt with. Ironically, one Gene may even had been involved with. They could probably name the overall baseball complex to encompass the stadium, field, practice facility and parking facilities the Gene Stephenson Baseball Complex.
      Great idea!

Comment

I’m torn on this topic. We probably don’t have a stadium at all if not for Rusty Eck funding a significant portion of Phase I. And the Tyler family donations I believe totally funded Phase II.

I do like the whole complex including the practice facility being called the Gene Stephenson Baseball Complex. Allows all those who made the 1990’s so special to be recognized and open doors for the new facilities to come like the Bohm Locker Rooms and the Ridder/Rodden/Dirks Performance Center.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I am sure the naming rights are an issue and while Rusty was a big booster he was also a dirtbag that liked young teen girls. He was on trial for having sex with a 15 year old when he died. That stadium bearing his name is an embarrassment to the University and should be removed.
          An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Ya, if the name didn't come down after the teen Filipino sex allegations, then it's not coming down. I'm guessing Gene would rather see Eck's kid match his $600,000 donation and $20k NIL commitment then have it renamed. I'm good with the Gene Stephenson Baseball complex.

Comment

It’s time for eck to be razed and something much more suitable for the attendance is built in its place. Not the new stuff, just the stadium itself. 3k or so would be max, maybe 2500.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxing Me Softly View Post
                It’s time for eck to be razed and something much more suitable for the attendance is built in its place. Not the new stuff, just the stadium itself. 3k or so would be max, maybe 2500.
                This is how we kill the program.

Yes, upgrades are needed. But can be done without razing what’s there, build a concourse above the lower walkways, seating up to there with platforms where you can sit and comfortably eat while watching the game.

Comment

We have the "Kosich Korner"...

Eck Stadium Outfield Deck Renamed “Kosich Korner” (ksal.com)

Remove the left field bleachers and build a "Carter's Corner"... he used to bomb them over that area and often completely over 21st street.

We don't have a bronze statue of Joe Carter at the entrance of the Eck Stadium? It's been a long time since I've attended a WSU baseball game, but I don't recall one.

. ​
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

This is how we kill the program.

Yes, upgrades are needed. But can be done without razing what’s there, build a concourse above the lower walkways, seating up to there with platforms where you can sit and comfortably eat while watching the game.
                    Yeah just swap out all the poorly chosen wrong colored seating with black or yellow. That's all we need right now. There will be plenty of resources to upgrade other stuff when the team gets cranking and attendance blows up again.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Turn the high metal bleachers above first base into some kind of table setup and it would be a fun place to sit!
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Also, League 42 for sure, maybe all little league teams, should be given season tickets in the bleachers. Maybe show a good grade card, I don't know. Something. Also some kind of kids package they can buy for a minimal price or somehow earn (bat boy duties, dragging the infield....shagging flies....again, something) that gets them an NIL type t shirt of favorite player, Shocker yeti, flying W baseball hat....again, IDK but something at a reasonable price for those kids (or again, earn it somehow).

Maybe a couple of levels of kids packages. Something free, and something more that costs a bit. Get creative.

I LOVE the idea where the 1B bleachers are turned into some kind of party deck. When they replace the seats, a small group needs to be a different color for the kids. I'd have NO problem with a section for active military as well. Camo seats.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                          Turn the high metal bleachers above first base into some kind of table setup and it would be a fun place to sit!

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxing Me Softly View Post
                            f$@&ing monumentally terrible idea! Congrats!

Comment

If we're changing seats, change them all back to aluminum. I really miss that noise. The Shox quality plus the crescendo that sounded like the stadium itself was rooting against you had to be so intimidating.

The biggest problem with the stadium right now is that it's empty. That needs fixed before anything else. They made progress this year by fixing the hill so that it could be the hill again. Which is great but doesn't really help the 'in-stadium' atmosphere. That just needs butts.

Comment

Working...
                              X