Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Games of Interest

Conference:

ECU continues to be the leader and nothing about that changed this weekend. They hosted a Rider program that went to the NCAAs last season and more than held their own there. ECU shut them out twice in sweeping the series 16-2, 7-0, 7-0. JJC leads the Pirates but the cupboard is full in Greenville.

Charlotte struggled with Virginia Tech in Charlotte. They lost the first 2 games 0-10, 5-10 before salvaging the Sunday game 10-5. I didn't see a lot of it, but they didn't look competitive Friday, at all. Va. Tech was picked in the bottom 4 of the ACC but obviously it's one of the best conferences.

UTSA hosted UTA and split the 4 game series, 9-10, 7-2, 2-1, 4-5. In that 2-1 win, the Roadrunners beat former Shocker Austin Wallace who came on in relief for UTA in the 9th with the game tied at 1.

Florida Atlantic gave #6 Vanderbilt all they wanted. Vandy could be suffering a PattyBeamer-lag this season. FAU had at least 3 chances to win the first game before dropping a heartbreaker when the Vandyboys scored 3 times with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th to win game one 12-11. FAU came back to win the Saturday matchup 5-4 and Vandy took the series on Sunday convincingly 11-1.

South Florida struggled to get games in this weekend because of weather, and when they did play, they struggled to score runs against very good competition. They lost 1-2 to Uconn on Friday, had games rained out vs Louisville and ISUb on Saturday and Sunday then were shutout by the Trees today 0-5. They only got 2 runners to 2nd and none to 3rd today. Both opponents are receiving votes and picked to win their respective conferences (Big East and MVC).

Memphis lost 2 of 3 on the road at Jacksonville State. JSU was picked 7 of 9 CUSA teams, so not a great start for the Tigers. 5-6 (13 innings) 7-4, 9-13 (10 innings). I caught the end of the last game, kind of cool. JSU had 1st and 2nd, 1 out in the bottom of the 10th, singled to center, and Memphis threw out the runner trying to score. then, with 2 outs, a walk loaded the bases and JSU walked off the Tigers with a grand salami.

Rice, to be frank, looked bad at home against Notre Dame. The Irish are picked in the bottom 4 of the ACC. Rice lost all 3 games, 1-3, 5-9, 10-13. Former Shocker Kyte McDonald struggled the first 2 games in the leadoff position going 0-8 but had a good Sunday lower in the lineup going 2-3 with 2 BB, 1SB, 1 HR & 2 RBI.

Tulane hosted Northwestern out of the Big10. For some reason the Big10 only released the top 6 in the poll. I'm sure NU was picked 13th & last (Wisconsin does not have a baseball team) as they are coming off a bizarre season where they went 10-40. Tulane won 2 of 3. The tiny bit I saw of Tulane on Friday reminded me of Kenny's game yesterday.....disinterested and uninspired. Tulane lost the first game 0-9 but came back to take the Saturday game 6-2 and won the series yesterday 12-9. NU is likely horrible, so not much can be garnered from these results.

UAB hosted Kennesaw State, picked 5th in the very competitive ASUN. UAB led early Friday but gave up a big inning late and lost 7-12. They came back to win Saturday 12-4 and then clinched the series Sunday 3-0. A nice result against a solid team. UAB travels to Auburn tomorrow.

Future opponents results:

Virginia hosted Hofstra picked near the bottom of the CAA 10-8, 21-3, 11-9. They'll try to play a mid week vs ODU before heading to Jax to take on the Shocks. Virginia is picked to win the ACC.

Auburn pummeled Eastern Kentucky over the weekend 17-6, 6-1, 9-1. As mentioned above, they'll take on UAB mid week. Auburn is picked lower half of the SEC but still a likely tourney team.

Iowa won the first 2 games this last weekend, beating Seton Hall 5-2 & Ball State 5-0 before falling to Lehigh 4-8 on Sunday. Iowa is picked to win the B1G.

ORU hosted Evansville and dropped 2 of 3. 12-10, 3-14, 6-7. Former Shocker David Herring starts at SS for ORU and went 3-9 over the weekend. ORU is well coached but they lost a ton from last season's CWS team.

Utah Tech hosted HCBG's former Washington State team at Bruce Hurst Field and dropped 3 of 4 to the Cougars who were picked dead last in the PAC12. 6-12, 6-8, 7-4, 1-5.

Oklahoma lost to Oregon on Friday 2-4. They beat #5 Tennessee on Saturday 5-1 in 10 innings and beat Nebraska 7-6 on Sunday. Former Shocker Jace Minor pitched to one batter in the Nebraska game. Former Shocker Austin Henry has not pitched yet and may (I have no idea) not be healthy.

Long Beach State has a new coach and is picked 8th in the very tough Big West. I'm guessing that's going to be a mistake. LBSU hosted Washington and won 2 of 3 vs the Huskies 10-5, 3-2 and then Sunday's game was halted after 17 tied at 3.

Nebraska, picked in the top 5 of the B1G, opened the season Friday in that Arlington tournament and beat Baylor 4-1. Saturday they lost to Texas Tech 4-6 and on Sunday lost to OU 6-7.

Gonzaga were swept at #22 UCLA over the weekend 7-8, 3-10, 0-6. The Zags were picked 6th in the WCC.

KState travelled to Scottsdale and lost to Cal on Friday 3-6. They bounced back to beat Boston College 6-4 and Georgetown 7-6. Not a great weekend for the #24 Wildcats. Former Shocker Chuck Ingram is hitting 2nd for the Cats, was 5-12 over the weekend with 2 walks and 4 Ks.

Oklahoma State had a rough start to the season. They travelled to Sam Houston State and lost 2 of 3. They lost Friday 2-7, Saturday 1-2 before exacting some revenge Sunday 19-2. Former Shocker Robert Cranz took the loss in Saturday's game. Cranzy pitched 1 and a third, gave up 2 hits and walked 2 and gave up the game winner.

Kansas was terrible in dropping 2 of 3 against Valley bottom dweller UIC. 9-11, 6-13 before getting one Sunday 8-2. Former Shocker Grant Adler pitched 2 and two thirds in relief on Saturday, giving up 3 hits, 2 runs, walked 3 and struck out 4.

Other former Shockers of note....Nate Snead picked up the win vs Baylor for Tennessee pitching 5 innings out of the bullpen. Sneader was mid to high 90s all night.

Payton Tolle hit a 3 run bomb to give TCU the lead late vs FGCU. On the weekend Payton was 4-13 with 5 RBI and pitched 3 innings. He was great for 2 innings then ran into trouble in the 3rd giving up 4 runs on 3 hits, a walk and 2 HBPs. He did strike out 7 in the 3 innings.

Garrett Pennington was 4-13 hitting in the middle of the NC State lineup.

I'm sure I missed some guys.

Clark Candiotti was the Saturday starter for Arizona. Clark gave up 2 earned in 5 innings, striking out 5 and walked none (1 HBP) in a no decision.

Last edited by WuDrWu; February 20, 2024, 12:36 AM.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Former Shocker Chuck Ingram is hitting 2nd for the Cats, was 5-12 over the weekend with 2 walks and 4 Ks.
    He be swingin'...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

He be swingin'...

If Chuck thinks for one second that I'm letting him slide when he shows up here wearing those light Urple Easter egg unis, he's in for a big surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

He be swingin'...

Wow. How long has it been since I heard that Anderson oldie. We're just a swingin'!

Comment

ORU lost at home to Missouri State, giving up 10 straight before scoring 6 to make it mildly interesting, 10-6 MSU final.

Utah Tech scored 3 in the top of the 1st at Arizona...it was not nearly enough. 24-4 Arizona, final.

Memphis went to Little Rock and was smoked by the Trojans 10-4. Memphis only managed 4 hits vs 2 pitchers the Shocks saw over the weekend. The Tigers gave up 16 hits.

Charlotte scored 7 in the first and 11 more in the second and destroyed 1-3 Davidson 24-1.

Tarleton State walked off UTSA on a granny 14-10.

ECU lost a tough game at Campbell 7-6.

UAB 2 Auburn 7. Auburn only had 3 hits, but 10 walks, 4 more free passes via HBP, 5 stolen bases and an error accounted for 6 of the 9 Tiger runs. Can't give runs away. Oh, and keep 2 time grad transfer Cooper Weiss off the basepaths. He's a menace. No relation to Walt.

Rice picked up their first win of the season beating a good Sam Houston State team 7-3.

Tulane handed Nicholls their first loss of the season, winning 3-2 at home. Green Wave are 3-1.

Iowa defeated Loras 20-6. Kind of UNI-like scheduling from the Hawkeyes.

Kansas defeated TA&M-CC 13-7.

#1 Wake Forrest lost at UNCG 4-3.

Dayton 8 #6 Vanderbilt 5 in Nashville.

OU lost at DBU 11-7.

KState trails ASU 5-4. I will update tomorrow.

Last edited by WuDrWu; February 20, 2024, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Wow. How long has it been since I heard that Anderson oldie. We're just a swingin'!
            That and "baby's got her bluejeans on" will always remind me of gramps!!
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Conference:

ECU continues to be the leader and nothing about that changed this weekend. They hosted a Rider program that went to the NCAAs last season and more than held their own there. ECU shut them out twice in sweeping the series 16-2, 7-0, 7-0. JJC leads the Pirates but the cupboard is full in Greenville.

Charlotte struggled with Virginia Tech in Charlotte. They lost the first 2 games 0-10, 5-10 before salvaging the Sunday game 10-5. I didn't see a lot of it, but they didn't look competitive Friday, at all. Va. Tech was picked in the bottom 4 of the ACC but obviously it's one of the best conferences.

UTSA hosted UTA and split the 4 game series, 9-10, 7-2, 2-1, 4-5. In that 2-1 win, the Roadrunners beat former Shocker Austin Wallace who came on in relief for UTA in the 9th with the game tied at 1.

Florida Atlantic gave #6 Vanderbilt all they wanted. Vandy could be suffering a PattyBeamer-lag this season. FAU had at least 3 chances to win the first game before dropping a heartbreaker when the Vandyboys scored 3 times with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th to win game one 12-11. FAU came back to win the Saturday matchup 5-4 and Vandy took the series on Sunday convincingly 11-1.

South Florida struggled to get games in this weekend because of weather, and when they did play, they struggled to score runs against very good competition. They lost 1-2 to Uconn on Friday, had games rained out vs Louisville and ISUb on Saturday and Sunday then were shutout by the Trees today 0-5. They only got 2 runners to 2nd and none to 3rd today. Both opponents are receiving votes and picked to win their respective conferences (Big East and MVC).

Memphis lost 2 of 3 on the road at Jacksonville State. JSU was picked 7 of 9 CUSA teams, so not a great start for the Tigers. 5-6 (13 innings) 7-4, 9-13 (10 innings). I caught the end of the last game, kind of cool. JSU had 1st and 2nd, 1 out in the bottom of the 10th, singled to center, and Memphis threw out the runner trying to score. then, with 2 outs, a walk loaded the bases and JSU walked off the Tigers with a grand salami.

Rice, to be frank, looked bad at home against Notre Dame. The Irish are picked in the bottom 4 of the ACC. Rice lost all 3 games, 1-3, 5-9, 10-13. Former Shocker Kyte McDonald struggled the first 2 games in the leadoff position going 0-8 but had a good Sunday lower in the lineup going 2-3 with 2 BB, 1SB, 1 HR & 2 RBI.

Tulane hosted Northwestern out of the Big10. For some reason the Big10 only released the top 6 in the poll. I'm sure NU was picked 13th & last (Wisconsin does not have a baseball team) as they are coming off a bizarre season where they went 10-40. Tulane won 2 of 3. The tiny bit I saw of Tulane on Friday reminded me of Kenny's game yesterday.....disinterested and uninspired. Tulane lost the first game 0-9 but came back to take the Saturday game 6-2 and won the series yesterday 12-9. NU is likely horrible, so not much can be garnered from these results.

UAB hosted Kennesaw State, picked 5th in the very competitive ASUN. UAB led early Friday but gave up a big inning late and lost 7-12. They came back to win Saturday 12-4 and then clinched the series Sunday 3-0. A nice result against a solid team. UAB travels to Auburn tomorrow.

Virginia hosted Hofstra picked near the bottom of the CAA 10-8, 21-3, 11-9. They'll try to play a mid week vs ODU before heading to Jax to take on the Shocks. Virginia is picked to win the ACC.

Auburn pummeled Eastern Kentucky over the weekend 17-6, 6-1, 9-1. As mentioned above, they'll take on UAB mid week. Auburn is picked lower half of the SEC but still a likely tourney team.

Iowa won the first 2 games this last weekend, beating Seton Hall 5-2 & Ball State 5-0 before falling to Lehigh 4-8 on Sunday. Iowa is picked to win the B1G.

ORU hosted Evansville and dropped 2 of 3. 12-10, 3-14, 6-7. Former Shocker David Herring starts at SS for ORU and went 3-9 over the weekend. ORU is well coached but they lost a ton from last season's CWS team.

Utah Tech hosted HCBG's former Washington State team at Bruce Hurst Field and dropped 3 of 4 to the Cougars who were picked dead last in the PAC12. 6-12, 6-8, 7-4, 1-5.

Oklahoma lost to Oregon on Friday 2-4. They beat #5 Tennessee on Saturday 5-1 in 10 innings and beat Nebraska 7-6 on Sunday. Former Shocker Jace Minor pitched to one batter in the Nebraska game. Former Shocker Austin Henry has not pitched yet and may (I have no idea) not be healthy.

Long Beach State has a new coach and is picked 8th in the very tough Big West. I'm guessing that's going to be a mistake. LBSU hosted Washington and won 2 of 3 vs the Huskies 10-5, 3-2 and then Sunday's game was halted after 17 tied at 3.

Nebraska, picked in the top 5 of the B1G, opened the season Friday in that Arlington tournament and beat Baylor 4-1. Saturday they lost to Texas Tech 4-6 and on Sunday lost to OU 6-7.

Gonzaga were swept at #22 UCLA over the weekend 7-8, 3-10, 0-6. The Zags were picked 6th in the WCC.

KState travelled to Scottsdale and lost to Cal on Friday 3-6. They bounced back to beat Boston College 6-4 and Georgetown 7-6. Not a great weekend for the #24 Wildcats. Former Shocker Chuck Ingram is hitting 2nd for the Cats, was 5-12 over the weekend with 2 walks and 4 Ks.

Oklahoma State had a rough start to the season. They travelled to Sam Houston State and lost 2 of 3. They lost Friday 2-7, Saturday 1-2 before exacting some revenge Sunday 19-2. Former Shocker Robert Cranz took the loss in Saturday's game. Cranzy pitched 1 and a third, gave up 2 hits and walked 2 and gave up the game winner.

Kansas was terrible in dropping 2 of 3 against Valley bottom dweller UIC. 9-11, 6-13 before getting one Sunday 8-2. Former Shocker Grant Adler pitched 2 and two thirds in relief on Saturday, giving up 3 hits, 2 runs, walked 3 and struck out 4.

Other former Shockers of note....Nate Snead picked up the win vs Baylor for Tennessee pitching 5 innings out of the bullpen. Sneader was mid to high 90s all night.

Payton Tolle hit a 3 run bomb to give TCU the lead late vs FGCU. On the weekend Payton was 4-13 with 5 RBI and pitched 3 innings. He was great for 2 innings then ran into trouble in the 3rd giving up 4 runs on 3 hits, a walk and 2 HBPs. He did strike out 7 in the 3 innings.

Clark Candiotti was the Saturday starter for Arizona. Clark gave up 2 earned in 5 innings, striking out 5 and walked none (1 HBP) in a no decision.

Curious...Has there ever been an Austin Henry sighting?

Comment

He has yet to appear in a game, if that's what you mean. He was on schedule to throw in mid May last season. The staff knew his talent, he was coming along great and they were going to find out how good good could be under the pressure. Unfortunately, there was a setback in his progress and they shut him down. He has a little animal shelter NIL thing at OU. I promise you, when he's healthy and ready, he's going out there.

Wednesday's games:

ODU 0 Virginia 8 Hoos will be 4-0 and ranked in the top 15 when they play the Shocks tomorrow.

Central Arkansas 4 Memphis 14 Tigers are 2-3

USC 3 Loyola Marymount 5 The Trojans are 0-4. Fight On.

Comment

Conference:

As someone who pays some attention to Husker baseball as well, their bullpen let them down in their two losses....that ALWAYS stinks....

Comment

Conference Updates with games of note:

ECU is 6-3, took 2 of 3 against ranked UNC (A-N-H). ECU is loaded and their weekend rotation is ridiculous so far. Ace Trey Yesavage's ERA of 1.00 is the highest of the 3 starters. The entire team has a combined WHIP of 1.00 ECU lost to SELA today 11-9.

Charlotte moved to 6-4 (4 game winning streak) with a 4-2 win at ODU tonight. This was their 1st road game. They've played a solid schedule, splitting 4 with West Virginia and dropping 2 of 3 to open the season with Virginia Tech. They lost the last 2 games of the series to ODU 4-1 and 3-0. The 49rs are struggling to score runs.

Tulane is 5-4 having not left the friendly confines of Greer Field at Turchin Stadium in New Orleans. The Green Wave don't leave Louisiana until they open AAC play at Rice and 15 of their first 20 games are at home. They were swept by (as of March 1 undefeated) Cal Irvine. They swept winless Yale over the weekend.

FAU is 5-4. They got 1 of 3 at ranked Vanderbilt (PattysBoys) and lost at home to UCF (who remains undefeated as of March 1). They also stay at or close to home. After that 3 game series to open the season at Nashville, 20 of the next 23 games are home, and all 23 are in Florida. The Owls won 2 of 3 vs Stonehill. They were gifted 10 unearned runs today.

Memphis is 6-5 against a pretty crappy schedule. They lost 10-4 to Little Rock, unquestionably the best game so far on their schedule. They are hitting just .263 and the staff ERA is north of 6 again, against pedestrian competition. They took 2 of 3 vs Wright State. 6-3, 13-12 (10) and 7-17 today. Seems about right.

UTSA is 5-5 and frankly has struggled out of the gate. However, their last 2 games, an 8-7 win at top 50 Houston and then a 12-0 whitewash over a decent Grand Canyon team tonight may be a sign of them getting on track. They split the final 2 games of the GCU series losing 9-7 yesterday and winning 10-9 today.

USF is 4-4. The Bulls have played an odd schedule so far. They easily swept 4 games vs a terrible Marist team and they've lost 4 games vs UConn, Indiana State, Florida State and UCF, all top 50 teams with a combined record (as of today) of 23-6. They're getting great pitching so far, with a team ERA just over 3.5 and an opponent batting average of just .218 17 of their first 25 games are home, and ALL of the 25 are in Florida. They lost 2 of 3 very tough games at UCF. They won Saturday 7-5 and lost Friday 3-2 (10) and today 1-0. UCF is 8-1.

UAB is 3-5 They lost to Auburn 7-2 and a tough extra inning game to Alabama on Tuesday 9-7. They need to win most if not all of their next 11 games before hosting the Shocks to open AAC play in Birmingham. And they should. They took 2 of 3 at North Alabama in games that were closer than they should have been. 8-9 10-8 8-3

Rice is 3-6 and has struggled, albeit against really good competition. They lost all 3 to Notre Dame in Houston. They beat a decent Sam Houston State team (that beat Oklahoma State 2 of 3) and then beat a decent Louisiana team 2 of 3 in Lafayette. Back home to get spanked by LSU and then lost the first of 3 hosting Stanford tonight. The Owls have been mostly punchless, batting just north of the Mendoza line so far (.206). They lost all 3 to Stanford 6-2 8-2 4-3

I've seen every team play some. Memphis appears to be the worst of the teams I've seen. Rough pitching and limited hitting and fielding (so far). Rice can't hit at all but the competition has been really good. Still, they don't look the part. I'm not sold on Tulane but they haven't been terrible.

And everyone is going to struggle with ECU. Sheesh.

Non Con Update:

Little Rock has been meh. 5-4 beat Memphis, lost to Ole Miss. 3-1 vs the Valley (not the worst conference). Took 2 of 3 at Belmont.

Virginia needed 1 in the 8th to tie and 1 in the 9th to win vs hapless UMASS and remain undefeated at 9-0. The Hoos are #13 in the polls and 1 in the RPI. Virginia lost their first game of the year to UMASS Saturday 10-5. They are 10-1.

Auburn is 7-1 with their only loss to Virginia. The Tigers are ranked #23. They have 3 big games with UConn tomorrow and Sunday. They took 2 of 3 from UConn and are 9-2.

Iowa spanked Ole Miss 13-7 tonight in Oxford to move to 4-4. Ole Miss administered the paddling yesterday and today. Iowa is 4-6.

ORU headed down I-35 to play Baylor tonight in their first roadie of the season. It did not go well. 11-2 Bears. ORU is 4-5. ORU was swept at Baylor. They are 4-7.

Utah Tech is 1-9 and better be 1-11 when they leave Wichita. And they are.

Oklahoma is 5-4 having played a challenging schedule. They handed #8 Tennessee their only loss so far. But Pittsburgh run ruled them 19-9 in Vegas tonight. OU is struggling a bit with us coming to town Tuesday. They lost to Ohio State 4-3 in Vegas. Won't be at all surprised to see Jace Minor Tuesday. He's struggling a bit so far for the Sooners.

Long Beach State is 5-1-1 so far. They took 2 from Washington before the 3rd game had to stopped on getaway day tied. They lost a tough extra inning game at ranked UCLA 12-11. And tonight they're in extras with 0-6 Milwaukee. Mixed results so far for the Dirtbags. EDIT the Beach moved to 6-1-1 with 2 in the bottom of the 11th to beat 0-7 Milwaukee 5-4. They swept 0-9 Milwaukee and are 8-1-1.

Nebraska is 5-3 and have mostly played well as their first 11 scheduled games are outside of NE (no surprise this time of year). The Huskers are 7-3 after sweeping 3 from Charleston at Charleston (their first 3 losses of the season) 6-5, 5-4, 5-3.

Gonzaga is 1-9 but that's misleading. They dropped 3 at ranked UCLA (lost game one of the series 8-7) then 2 of 3 at ranked Vanderbilt (losing the second game 4-3 and winning the last one 9-8) and lost both halves of a twin bill at BYU today. No easy ones on the Zags schedule so far.

Oklahoma State is 5-4 with again, mixed results. They lost 2 of 3 at home to Sam Houston State to open the season. They did beat #2 Arkansas 2-1 and then lost to #8 Oregon State 8-1. #25 (and as of this post still undefeated at 9-0) DBU thumped the Pokes 14-4 midweek. Utah Tech will leave Wichita and travel to O'Brate Stadium for 2 midweek games. The Pokes swept Central Michigan as you would have expected this weekend 7-4, 8-1, 19-0. Looks like OSU is getting things figured out.

Kansas State is 5-3 but the Cats have been less than impressive so far. They were fortunate to win 2 of 3 at home vs Holy Cross. Their pitching has been a little suspect early. They swept a horrible UMASS-Lowell team over the weekend 10-1, 17-3, 10-1 Chuck Ingram leads the Cats in hits (14), Doubles (5) and Strikeouts (13).

Kansas is 4-4 having lost 2 of 3 vs a terrible UIC team, 5-4 to Wazzu and 8-5 to Kentucky all in Texas tournaments. They have other wins vs Texas Southern, Texas State and Texas A&M CC. The swept Texas Southern in 4 this weekend, outscoring them 41-7.
                    Last edited by WuDrWu; March 3, 2024, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Conference records and current RPI:

WSU 7-3 67
                      ECU 7-4 35
                      Tulane 7-4 87
                      FAU 6-5 151
                      Memphis 7-6 259
                      Charlotte 6-6 58
                      UTSA 6-6 159
                      USF 5-5 127
                      UAB 5-6 109
                      Rice 3-8 169

Comment

Conference records and current RPI:

WSU 7-3 67
                        ECU 7-4 35
                        Tulane 7-4 87
                        FAU 6-5 151
                        Memphis 7-6 259
                        Charlotte 6-6 58
                        UTSA 6-6 159
                        USF 5-5 127
                        UAB 5-6 109
                        Rice 3-8 169
                        Maybe I've missed it...it seems FORMER Shockers are having great impacts elsewhere...correct?

Comment

LBSU moved to 9-1 with a 2-0 win over UCLA last night, avenging their only loss so far this season at UCLA (last night was at Blair Field in Long Beach).

As to former Shockers having great impacts elsewhere....I'd say it's a mixed bag so far this season. There are certainly many former Shockers that are playing regular roles at other programs. I think it's fair to say there are varying levels of success. Great is relative. There's little doubt we lost some dudes.

Payton Tolle is the bell cow of the players that transferred out. He's been the Friday guy for the #5 team in the country. At times he's been dominant but he's also been a little wild. In 3 starts his ERA is 6.57 He is 1-0 with a 22-9 K/BB ratio and he's holding opponents to a .227 BA but he's also hit 4 batters with 1 WP and 1 balk. He's hitting just .235 with 2 HRs and 10 RBI hitting mostly in the middle of the order, but he's also missed 4 games (not sure why). He's certainly one of the better players on one of the better teams in the country. He's a major cog of a TCU team that has aspirations of Omaha, but he's not tearing it up either.

Clark Candiotti is the Saturday guy for a 5-6 Arizona team that's played a brutal schedule where 7 of their 11 games so far are against ranked teams. In 3 starts Clark has no decisions, 4.50 ERA, .305 BA, a 17-3 K/BB ratio but also leads his team in home runs surrendered.

Grant Adler is the third member of our weekend rotation in 2023 that transferred out. He's at KU and has struggled so far. He's 0-1 in 4 appearances, 1 start with an ERA north of 7 and a BA over .275. He's not part of their rotation any longer.

Other pitchers:

Nate Snead - Tennessee - Nate's been damned good so far for the top 10 Vols. In 4 appearances, he's 3-0 with a save, 2.57 ERA and that's against solid competition. It could be argued he's the best pitcher on one of the best teams in the country (UT is #7 and 11-1 so far) while sitting 97-102 with his FB.

Austin Wallace - UTA Austin is the type of kid I hate to see leave. Fantastic young man. Will be a huge success in life. Hurt his shoulder out of high school when at UT and spent 2 years trying to rehab. Totally understand why he left. He's found a place to be productive. 6 appearances for UTA so far, 1 start, 4.55 ERA and kind of a tough luck 0-3 record.

Jace Miner - Oklahoma Jace benefitted from a strike zone twice the size of WSU's last night. All kidding aside, he'll be a big part of the OU pen this season. So far he's 1-1 for the Sooners with an elevated ERA of 7.36

Robert Cranz - Oklahoma State Cranzy is 0-1 with a 3.27 ERA in six appearances for the Pokes. Certainly a big bullpen piece for OSU.

Austin Henry - Oklahoma Has not yet seen action. I can only speculate that he's not 100%. EDIT: Austin had a setback injury wise.

Parker Dillhoff - Northwest Florida College (Juco) 0-1 in 3 appearances with a 9.00 ERA, a 3.00 WHIP and 14Ks/9innings.

Patrick Dunn - Georgia State University Hard throwing (93-98 FB) transfer originally from UH is having a decent season so far. 4 appearances with a 2.45 ERA.

Matt Boyer - Pepperdine University Matt has struggled at Pepperdine so far. 0-3 in 3 starts, 11.57 ERA and opponents batting average of .377.

Cameron Bye - Florida Gulf Coast University Cam hasn't given up a run yet in 3 situational appearances for FGCU.

Carter Rost - Cumberland University (DII) Looks to be finding himself. 2-2 in 5 starts with a sub 3.00 ERA and a 6-1 K/BB ratio. Look for him back at a D1 school in '25

Position Players:

Kyte McDonald Rice offered to pay for Kyte's Masters. Hard to pass that up. He's the Owls everyday CF and is off to a grinding start, hitting just .208 but is great with his speed and glove.

Charlie Rogan Charlie is the type of kid that needs to play to get better. Probably should have gone juco but he transferred to GW where he's playing sparingly with no success batting .000 in 11 ABs so far.

David Herring David is the everyday Shortstop for a struggling (so far) Oral Roberts team that's coming off a CWS appearance. He's hitting .302 and fielding .976...the same solid numbers his entire career.

Chuck Ingram Is an everyday starter for Kansas State either at DH or somewhere in the OF. He's leading the Cats in hitting .354 and Ks 14.

Cooper Harris landed at Pitt State (DII) and seems to be their backup catcher hitting .154 in limited appearances. Another fantastic young man, I hope he finds the field regularly.

Jack Little Jack landed at Baylor but hasn't seen the field yet. I can only speculate he's hurt, otherwise he should be out there every day. EDIT: Confirmed that Jack has a labrum injury.

Hogan Shelby The freshman shortstop landed at San Jacinto (Juco) but statistics are unavailable.

Jarrett Flaggert High upside 3B guy got stuck behind Jack Little last season. He's at Cowley (Juco) hitting about .300 and also seeing if he can throw a bit. This guy has a very high ceiling.

Gage Williams Northeastern State (DII) Catching at least half the time and seems to be doing ok (stats not available).

Garrett Pennington has been a bit of a surprise I think at NC State. Not that he's been worse or better than expected, just different. He's their starting 1B and a team leader, but he's leading the team in BA at .429 but isn't hitting a lot of EBH. Only 5 doubles and 1 HR so far. Nevertheless, he's the guy at first for a top 25 team and their leading hitter.

I think it's safe to say that there aren't more than a tiny handful of teams that wouldn't kill for Tolle and Snead. (I know for a fact that basically every power 5 team reached out to offer Tolle) And the vast majority would take Pennington & Ingram as every day players.

These are just the transfers from last year. I don't think there are many from previous seasons that are having impacts of note at other schools.
                          Last edited by WuDrWu; March 6, 2024, 11:29 PM. Reason: Updated injuries for Little and Henry

Comment

I sure wish I knew how this lineup with the current leadership would have done:

Camden Johnson SS
                            Chuck Ingram RF
                            Garrett Pennington 1B
                            Payton Tolle DH
                            Dayvin Johnson CF
                            Mauricio Millan C
                            Derek Williams LF
                            David Herring 2B
                            Jack Little 3B

Rotation of:

Tolle
                            Favors