X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Schedule

Baseball Announces 2024 Schedule

https://goshockers.com/news/2023/12/...-schedule.aspx

Wichita State baseball announced the 56-game 2024 regular season schedule on Friday.

The slate is loaded with quality opponents, highlighted by a trip to the Jax College Baseball Classic to battle Virginia, Auburn and Iowa, home series against Long Beach State, Nebraska and Gonzaga, plus midweek matchups with Oral Roberts, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. 30 of Wichita State's 56 games are against teams that finished last season in the top 100 of the RPI.

The American Athletic Conference schedule consists of 27 games divided into nine three-game series. The Shockers host new conference members Rice (March 28-30), Florida Atlantic (April 12-14) and Charlotte (May 10-12) at Eck Stadium, along with a home series against Tulane (April 26-28). WSU hits the road for conference sets against UAB (March 22-24), South Florida (April 5-7), East Carolina (April 19-21), UTSA (May 3-5) and Memphis (May 16-18).

The midweek schedule is filled with familiar opponents. The Shockers play Oral Roberts, Kansas, and Kansas State twice, with three matchups scheduled against both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

The American Athletic Conference tournament is scheduled for May 21-26 in Clearwater, Florida. The tournament will once again be held at BayCare Ballpark, spring training home of the Philadelphia Phillies.

View Schedule
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 15, 2023, 10:11 AM.

Strong schedule! Win 35 and it’s probably an at-large bid.

Comment

Originally posted by JayPak View Post
      Strong schedule! Win 35 and it’s probably an at-large bid.
      I should hope 35 wins gets an at-large bid, but I don't see how we can get to that number without several surprises on the mound. There does appear to be some talent, but outside of Favors it's mostly unproven. We'll have to grow up quickly on the bump to be that competitive (fingers crossed).

Comment

So no game at Riverfront anymore?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
          So no game at Riverfront anymore?
          Was disappointed to see that
          Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

We open in 25 days at Arkansas Little Rock.

Then to Florida for 3 games, #14 Virginia, #19 Iowa and RV Auburn.

I went to see where A-LR was picked preseason. I found they have a 1st pitch banquet, like we have:

Purchase Tickets Please join us for a great evening as we kick-off the 2024 baseball season with our ninth annual First Pitch Banquet. Hear from Head Coach Chris Curry and […]

I couldn't remember about our 1st pitch banquet...maybe they are passing since it's a new staff. I checked, not passing:

Little Rock wants $50 per ticket. WSU $25.

Not sure where our heads are located right now.......but if I needed to find them, I have an idea where to look.

Comment

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                  Go figure
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Baseball Announces 2024 Promotional Schedule

Comment

I have been pleasantly surprised with the play of the Shocks to this point in the season. But looking at our remaining schedule and considering our 5-1
                      AAC record has come against what looks likely to be the two teams at the bottom of the AAC standings I am going to tray and reel in my expectations flor the 2nd half of the season.to some degree.

The Shocks are 27 games into the season at 18-9 (5-1 in AAC play) and have 29 games remaining on the Schedule. I see the next 5 weeks as being particularly challenging with 5 game schedules in 3 of those weeks and 4 game schedules in 2 of those weeks.

1. vs Oklahoma, vs Kansas, @ South Florida x 3
                      2. vs Oklahoma State, @ Kansas State, vs FAU x 3
                      3. vs Oral Roberts, @ East Caroline x 3
                      4. @ Oklahoma, vs Tulane x 3
                      5. @ Oklahoma State, @ Kansas, @ UTSA x 3

The final 2 weeks of the regular series a limited to 3 AAC series vs Charlotte and Memphis.

I think i would be quite satisfied if we finish 16-13 in these 29 games (assuming we get them all in) going 12-9 in AAC play and 4-4 in the remaining mid-week games. That would put us at 34-22 overall and 17-10 in AAC play. I am assuming no injuries to key players. Hopefully, Cam Johnson is okay.

Thoughts? Too pessimistic? Too optimistic? About right?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        I have been pleasantly surprised with the play of the Shocks to this point in the season. But looking at our remaining schedule and considering our 5-1
                        AAC record has come against what looks likely to be the two teams at the bottom of the AAC standings I am going to tray and reel in my expectations flor the 2nd half of the season.to some degree.

The Shocks are 27 games into the season at 18-9 (5-1 in AAC play) and have 29 games remaining on the Schedule. I see the next 5 weeks as being particularly challenging with 5 game schedules in 3 of those weeks and 4 game schedules in 2 of those weeks.

1. vs Oklahoma, vs Kansas, @ South Florida x 3
                        2. vs Oklahoma State, @ Kansas State, vs FAU x 3
                        3. vs Oral Roberts, @ East Caroline x 3
                        4. @ Oklahoma, vs Tulane x 3
                        5. @ Oklahoma State, @ Kansas, @ UTSA x 3

The final 2 weeks of the regular series a limited to 3 AAC series vs Charlotte and Memphis.

I think i would be quite satisfied if we finish 16-13 in these 29 games (assuming we get them all in) going 12-9 in AAC play and 4-4 in the remaining mid-week games. That would put us at 34-22 overall and 17-10 in AAC play. I am assuming no injuries to key players. Hopefully, Cam Johnson is okay.

Thoughts? Too pessimistic? Too optimistic? About right?
                        Yeah I think that’s decently realistic, IMO. Hoping for something special. But agreed we have a grind ahead of us.

Comment

Just my opinion, but I'd say about right to a shade too optimistic. If we had won one of Virginia, OU, KSU, OSU so far, I'd probably buy the 4-4. Ku is playing better and we only have 1 with ORU. The other 7 will be rock fights and ORU is no gimmie. 12-9 is winning every series but ECU and UTSA. I absolutely believe we can do better.

I'm kind of like last week when I said sweep Rice and let's see where we're at. Win at least 2 in Tampa. Go 4 and 1 or better and I'll jump on just about any train you want me to. After seasons upon seasons of disappointment, when it matters to me as much or more than almost any fan here, I'm trying to remain objective and controlled.

Comment

I'm hoping for it, but that feels a little too optimistic to me. Currently 2-6 against Q1&Q2 teams. Using current rankings, there are 15 of those games remaining. At current win%, that'd be 3 or 4 wins. That leaves needing at least 12 wins against the other 14 Q3&Q4 games. Which I suppose is possible.

My concern is if you have a group of games you're going 3-12 in, your season has a pretty good chance to tailspin. Next 2 weeks should tell the tale. Unless the team just goes on a tear not seen since the 90s, at-large is currently not on the table. But conference race IS. I think the key to keeping things on track is to stay competitive and fighting for the conference championship.

UTSA could be hard to unseat. They own a road sweep of a likely middle-pack team (Tulane) and a series win against the prohibitive favorite (ECU). But the REAL kicker is they have a TOTAL of 2 midweek games remaining the entire rest of the season. WSU has 8, and they are basically all Q1 games.

I should mention that 34-22 (17-10), while not exactly a successful season, would definitely surpass my expectations for this team. Maybe also worth pointing out that the same way 3-12 against Q1&Q2 teams can tailspin your whole season, it IS possible for things to snowball the other way if you win a couple big games in the next 2 weeks and remain right there atop the league standings.
                            Last edited by Cdizzle; April 2, 2024, 09:38 AM.

Comment

If they win the league, I think that would likely earn them a regional spot, if nothing else, it meant they probably did enough body of work in winning the league to making a regional. But they need to start winning against good teams. Like now. Like today.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X