Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shane Dennis Interview with Mike Pelfrey (State of WSU Baseball)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shane Dennis Interview with Mike Pelfrey (State of WSU Baseball)

I believe the Shane Dennis interview with Mike Pelfrey should have a thread of it own. Very informative and would be lost in all the noise in the other thread.

Here are two ways to listen, maybe other.

Those with apple podcasts

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000615756571

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000615773997

Alternative location via website (two segments with)

I have listened to almost all the first one, then will start on the 2nd.

The interview did make me feel better.

Hope he sticks around. He has the passion that every supporter wants.
    The Assman

Comment

It was fascinating look into the current collage sports landscape.

Comment

I hope Pelf stays around. But this talk makes me feel like we are doomed. I feel like the whole college sports scene has changed so much, and we haven't kept up.

I will say I have always been supportive of bringing back football, but this NIL thing makes me think we may be better off without football right now. That would be 85 more NILs we would have to support. Right now I feel like we are so far behind that it will be easier to catch up with fewer mouths to feed.

Comment

We can’t catch up with everyone sitting around saying “if the product gets better.”

The bus has left, and we can still catch up, but it’s gotta start now.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
            It was fascinating look into the current collage sports landscape.
            ... and it sucks a big donkey dong...
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
              We can’t catch up with everyone sitting around saying “if the product gets better.”

There's little doubt this is 'wake-up' time for Shocker fans and supporters... time to put on our big boy pants. I still have faith that the community will answer the call.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                I hope Pelf stays around. But this talk makes me feel like we are doomed. I feel like the whole college sports scene has changed so much, and we haven't kept up.

I will say I have always been supportive of bringing back football, but this NIL thing makes me think we may be better off without football right now. That would be 85 more NILs we would have to support. Right now I feel like we are so far behind that it will be easier to catch up with fewer mouths to feed.
                It goes both ways though too. Football attracts money. It drives marketing. Had we brought it back 15-20 years ago when we should have, things could be a lot different.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Like I said, we will not catch up absent grabbing lightning in a bottle without the help from our alumni. They built the program, have the clout and dollars to make the biggest difference.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Like I said, we will not catch up absent grabbing lightning in a bottle without the help from our alumni. They built the program, have the clout and dollars to make the biggest difference.
                    I'm not convinced it will ever matter so long as we're outside the P5. All these kids wants are NIL money and play in the P5. Even if we have a good year, our players will be getting recruited to P5 year after year.

Comment

Very good interview with MP.

I find it interesting and confusing how a lot of the players said the reason they hit the portal was because the coaching staff was fired. Yet, MP said that a player told him towards the end of the season, that all but 6 were going into the portal at the end of the season.

Doesn’t add up.

Clearly a culture/unity problem with last years team, problems that the softball program doesn’t apparently have. A head coaching change had to happen.

Comment

Not all of them. Most of them want to be able to get a degree in the subject they desire, at the best school that provides that without going hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

Many also would rather play at a competitive school vs sit the bench at a top 10 program.

I say these things over and over again, and everyone is still so spoiled by what Gene did, they don’t realize these facts. Maybe they will believe Mike Pelphrey? We live in a world where to 65% of the baseball world, Wichita State and the 80’s and 90’s is the same as San Francisco in the NCAA basketball Tournament in the 50’s or Oakland Raiders in the NFL in the 60’s-70’s.

It has been 15 years since our last NCAA Tournament game win. None of the kids these days remembers a thing about the old days. And nobody will remember Shocker baseball at all if we don’t get the stands back full of fans cheering and supporting our Shockers.

11.7 scholarships doesn’t go very far. We need to expand In-State to include a few more Regional States (KS, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, and Colorado). Then we don’t have to have as much NIL. That helps close the gap.

We also need more dinners hosted by Shocker fans. Make them feel at home.

We can still close this gap, but damn if it doesn’t seem the SN Faithful would rather just sit around and b!tch about what used to be.

Comment

Per TE article: “…many cited on social media, WSU’s decision to change coaches as their reason for entering the portal.”

That’s where I got that. At the end, it may indeed be something else, as you stated. The coaching change might be just a convenient excuse…or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

I'm not convinced it will ever matter so long as we're outside the P5. All these kids wants are NIL money and play in the P5. Even if we have a good year, our players will be getting recruited to P5 year after year.
                            I don't disagree but ORU, Southern Miss, and Indiana State are playing in Super Regional's this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

It goes both ways though too. Football attracts money. It drives marketing. Had we brought it back 15-20 years ago when we should have, things could be a lot different.
                              I remember Tom VanDerhoofen pushing, “Shocker Football Alive in 95”, that horse has been beaten to a bloody pulp.
                              An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Working...
                              X