more MVC and DBU news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more MVC and DBU news

hola WSU fans, our ISU reporter Todd Golden has traded e-mails with the DBU AD today, posted on twitter

Have traded email with Dallas Baptist AD Ryan Erwin. He saw my DBU item on 6/5. (Its the 2nd part of a too-long column)

Erwin said via email that DBU and MVC, "... have talked and I can say there is mutual interest, but there has not been an offer from MVC."

Hopefully, that baseball-only offer will come. DBU was great for MVC baseball in 2012 and would strengthen the league in that sport.

here is a link and the DBU info from the article Todd wrote a week ago, as you can see Indiana State is totally in favor of adding DBU, it appears other eastern bloc schools are worried.

"• MVC should see light on DBU – In the credit where credit is due department, the MVC owes Dallas Baptist’s baseball team a big thank you.

Without DBU on the schedule, it’s unlikely the league would have been the fifth-best in the nation RPI-wise. DBU’s RPI was in the 20s and ISU benefited more than most. Winning its series against DBU in April might have been the tipping point that helped the Sycamores to be chosen for the NCAA Tournament.

DBU showed interest in joining the league in the late 2000s. The league and the Patriots agreed to a two-year probationary period where DBU was added to the MVC essentially as a shadow school.

DBU played most league opponents – Illinois State was a notable exception – home-and-home during the 2011 and 2012 seasons. DBU played some teams in a one-year agreement. ISU played in Dallas in 2011 and hosted the Patriots this season.

During the probationary period, however, the winds of college realignment pushed DBU towards membership with other Texas schools in the Western Athletic Conference. It appeared the MVC’s flirtation with DBU would amount to a short-lived affair rather than a long-term relationship.

But since then, the WAC has imploded. The Texas schools that made the WAC attractive to DBU have all gone elsewhere thanks to their established or burgeoning football programs. The football-less Patriots need a home and the MVC should make a run at them again.

Why is DBU attractive? Put simply, it’s been one of the better college baseball teams in the last five years. The Patriots played in a Super Regional in 2011 and were on the cusp again as of this writing as they were to play TCU in a regional championship game on Monday night.

To solidify the quality of baseball in the MVC, it would seem that DBU’s addition would be a no-brainer. But in the Byzantine political world of the MVC with its coaches, administrators and presidents often at cross-purposes, nothing is that simple.

Despite DBU’s track record and its benefit to the MVC in 2012, there is still resistance to their membership. I’ve talked to a lot of league sources about the topic and the amount of stories put out there as to who’s for or against what boggles the mind. It’s often portrayed as an East (against DBU) vs. West (for DBU) school divide, but it’s not that simple.

Few want to talk specifics on the record, but the reasons cited for not including DBU are many.

Some cite financial burden of travel, some have to do with competitive balance (with a few coaches allegedly concerned that the bar will be raised in the league, thus jeopardizing their jobs), some have to do with geography, some cite the short period of DBU success, some involve agendas that have nothing to do with athletics at all – such as DBU’s religious affiliation.

There are allegedly schools that have professed support of DBU membership publicly via coach and administrator, but have opposed membership at the presidential level.

It’s messy, and for the good of the league, it’s time to cut through the bull and see what’s mutually beneficial for every league member.

If DBU is still interested, the proof is in the pudding as to how it benefited the MVC in 2012. DBU’s participation in the league schedule raised everyone’s ship with its tide. At-large bids for the MVC didn’t become a possibility in 2012, they became reality.

ISU coach Rick Heller and Prettyman both saw the benefit and both told me they’re in favor of DBU’s addition. Heller has been an advocate from the beginning.

It’s time for the league’s schools to stop worrying about their own fiefdoms for a moment and realize that they and the league overall is better with DBU in it.

Go get ‘em."

Hopefully UNI or DRAKE do not find a need to vote on this one.

Comment

UNI and Drake can go suck a wrestler's jockstrap.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think WSU wants DBU in the valley but more vote's are needed. Like schools that don't even have baseball maybe?
        First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by shock10 View Post
          I think WSU wants DBU in the valley but more vote's are needed. Like schools that don't even have baseball maybe?
          uh no....UNI and Drake shouldn't vote, they can apparently but they shouldn't vote, it's really none of their business.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            UNI and Drake can go suck a wrestler's jockstrap.
            Hey! Lets not get down on wrestlers. There were plenty of "team sport" players that didn't do due diligence in washing their jocks.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
              Hey! Lets not get down on wrestlers. There were plenty of "team sport" players that didn't do due diligence in washing their jocks.
              One good case of Jock Rash usually cured the lack of due diligence.

Comment

I am really going to be upset if the Valley blows this again. They are very lucky to get a second chance at DBU.

Comment

Valley coaches have unanimously voted to approve DBU into the MVC for baseball in 2014. The AD's then voted 7-1 (Bradley opposed). There will be a vote later by school presidents whether to officially invite Dallas Baptist.
                  site: www.MVCfans.com
                  twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/MVCfans

Comment

Originally posted by MVCFans View Post
                    Valley coaches have unanimously voted to approve DBU into the MVC for baseball in 2014. The AD's then voted 7-1 (Bradley opposed). There will be a vote later by school presidents whether to officially invite Dallas Baptist.
                    Thanks for the info. That is great news!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      One good case of Jock Rash usually cured the lack of due diligence.
                      I thought Jock Rash played opposite Chest Rockwell......no?

Comment

Sounds like they are voting today according to Kansas.com

Comment

Valley likely to add Dallas Baptist for baseball
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                            Sounds like they are voting today according to Kansas.com
                            It sounds like just a formality this time. I am glad the Valley didn't blow its second chance.

Comment

I'm glad the Valley got a 2nd chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X