Next Years Lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
    I posted something similar to this in another thread but it seems more appropriate here. Everyone is talking about how bad our record was and how we finished 3rd in the MVC. The thing we haven't factored in is that the MVC is gaining ground on Conference USA and poised to take over as the 5th best conference in the nation (now only .0002 behind and gaining). We all know the team is loaded with Fr. and So. and finished 3rd (2 games out of 1st) in the 5th/6th best conference in the country. How does that compare to going 43-17 and finishing 1st in the 12th or 15th ranked conference? It may be about the same, heck it could even be better...

To me the biggest negative was laying an egg in the MVC Tournament when we need 1 or 2 wins to grab an at-large bid. This team probably could have easily won 7-9 more games this year had they just executed and not made stupid mistakes. What if they had won half that many? We would be talking about a 40 win season with one of the best SOS we have ever had...
    According to Warren Nolan, the Valley has now passed up C-USA and has moved into 5th place by .0003.
    Last edited by shox1989; May 26, 2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

The point is there is so little difference its almost meaningless. I want to know what people think. Is finishing 2 games out of 1st in the 5th/6th best conference better than 1st in the 12th best conference?

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
        The point is there is so little difference its almost meaningless. I want to know what people think. Is finishing 2 games out of 1st in the 5th/6th best conference better than 1st in the 12th best conference?
        Yes finishing 2 games first out of the 5th best conference IS better than 1st in the 12th best.
        Last edited by shox1989; May 26, 2012, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Warren Nolan now has the Valley in 5th place, .0006 ahead of C-USA.
          Last edited by shox1989; May 27, 2012, 12:26 AM.

Comment

and WSU is back up to #43 and Indy St is at #44, MoST is @ #38.

The Shox SOS is @ #33 right now.
            Last edited by shox1989; May 27, 2012, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
              Yes finishing 2 games first out of the 6th best conference (or 5th) IS better than 1st in the 12th best.
              Do you know where to find conference baseball RPI histories? I believe the NCAA has been doing it for baseball since 1984.

Comment

Warren nolan goes back to 2005.

Comment

I believe Boydsworld goes back to 1997.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                    Warren Nolan now has the Valley in 5th place, .0003 ahead of C-USA.
                    Very impressive -- I didn't see that coming. The margin was big enough a few days ago that I thought there was no way the Valley could possibly move ahead. Maybe they'll stay 5th, maybe not; maybe Nolan's version of the RPI matches the NCAA's and maybe not, but the bottom line is that in the current version of college baseball, this was a good league . And the keys were two things -- playing decent schedules (greatly helped by the Dallas Baptist contribution), and not having any really awful teams. Even Creighton, by far the league's biggest regular season disappointment, worked its way into the RPI top 150 by getting hot at the right time.

Getting back to the topic -- how is it so easy to get distracted around here? -- there's certainly plenty of reason to believe that Bayliff will be an excellent offensive player if he stays healthy; Gillaspie got better and showed more power as the season progressed before running out of gas a bit at the end; Doggett is already a better offensive player than Kevin Hall was, despite also fading a bit late; and Parker, Green, and Mucha all showed considerable promise. Josh Halbert also came on strong late. Gillaspie, Parker, and Halbert also had very respectable K/W ratios for newcomers.

So, yes, there is no Coy -- but I expect the offense next year to be improved, not weaker.
                    Last edited by WSUwatcher; May 26, 2012, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      Do you know where to find conference baseball RPI histories? I believe the NCAA has been doing it for baseball since 1984.
                      Baseball didn't start using rpi until 1988. Men's Basketball started using it in 1981 and women's basketball in 1984.

Other Division I sports committees now using the RPI are men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s volleyball, field hockey, men’s and women’s lacrosse, softball, and women’s water polo.

Men's hockey uses their own rating system but it is also based on the rpi and then they make some adjustments to it. The interesting thing about hockey, is that they only use their rating system to pick the at large teams. There is no human factor anymore. It is based soley on the numbers.

Comment

You left out Johnny Coy and Cale Elam
                        Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
                        Why not?

Doggett CF
                        Harbutz SS
                        Gillespie 1b
                        Bayliff DH
                        Green RF
                        Parker 2b
                        Muka LF
                        Baker C
                        Halbert 3b

Gardner
                        Ladwig
                        Minnis
                        Mcgreevy
                        Berringer

Vielock
                        Mataycheck
                        Bouman
                        Labrie
                        First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Starting Lineup:

38 JR Eric Harbutz SS
                          11 JR Dayne Parker 2B
                          25 SR Johnny Coy 1B
                          16 SO Casey Gillaspie RF
                          28 JR Garrett Bayliff DH
                          32 JR Micah Green LF
                          8 SO Mikel Mucha CF
                          17 SO Tyler Baker C
                          9 JR Josh Halbert 3B

Bench:

31 JR Bob Arens C
                          3 JR Sean Moore INF
                          21 SO Taylor Doggett OF
                          7 SO Connor Knight OF
                          6 SO Cody Bobbitt INF
                          35 FR Parker Zimmerman C
                          2 FR Tanner Kirk INF
                          1 FR Tanner Dearman INF
                          18 FR Daniel Kihle OF
                          36 FR Joe Haddox OF
                          41 JR Chase Simpson INF*

Weekend:

15 JR Tobin Mateychick RHP
                          4 JR Cale Elam RHP
                          13 SO Kris Gardner LHP
                          23 SO A J Ladwig RHP

Mid Week:

42 FR Austin Sanders LHP
                          12 JR Brandon Peterson RHP
                          26 FR Garrett Brummett RHP

Bull Pen:

40 SR T J McGreevy RHP
                          33 JR Albert Minnis LHP
                          14 JR Foster Vielock RHP
                          19 JR Aaron LaBrie LHP
                          22 JR Drew Palmer LHP
                          27 SO Zach Beringer RHP
                          7 SO Connor Knight RHP
                          18 FR Daniel Kihle LHP

*Chase Simpson may not play this year*
                          Last edited by shock10; February 10, 2013, 05:13 PM.
                          First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Albert Minnis might work his way back into the starting rotation although he was certainly much more effective in long-relief his year.

Comment

Well, shock10, it's probably a little overreach to count Knight, Baker, Bayliff, and Matuszak as pitchers too, but that's 35, so you've covered the entire roster except for surprise departures and possible late replacement pickups.

Comment

As you can see I left a space between the 4 and the bull pen but in fall ball last year they were listed as possible pitchers and Matuszak is listed as a 1B/LHP. Just playing.
                                Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                                Well, shock10, it's probably a little overreach to count Knight, Baker, Bayliff, and Matuszak as pitchers too, but that's 35, so you've covered the entire roster except for surprise departures and possible late replacement pickups.

Comment

Working...
                                X