X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Rankings

As of 3/17/2023

RPI - 146
    Predictive RPI - 66 (36-19) [The 2-1 vs Stetson and 1-0 vs OU, improved WSU Predictive from 76 to 66].
    ISR - 125

CU, Oral Roberts, OSU - WSU is projected to go 1-3. If they can reverse that and Go 3-1, they can push the Predictive RPI down.

Data taken from

NCAA Division I Baseball -- Iterative Strength Ratings (boydsworld.com)

Wichita State Shockers RPI Team Sheet 2023 Baseball | WarrenNolan.com

I was thinking this morning...to now, for me at least, the goal was 11-5 (1-2 LBSU, 4-0 UT, 3-0 Oakland, 2-1 Stetson, 1-2 ORU, KU, OU combo). 2 games behind schedule. This would have been a rough expectation week. 2-3 at best for a goal, maybe even 1-4. 3-1 would be close to being back on track. IF (big if) we can have multiple wins over ECU, OU & OSU (there are 9 games there so at least 4 wins) and total 38 or more wins, I think that's in the mix for an at large. That's kind of where I am right now. But at 9-7 there's not much room for error. Even if you figure winning every conference series but one (say ECU) and one of those is a sweep, that's 6 series 2-1, one 3-0 and one 1-2, for a 16-8 record. That makes 25-15 with 15 non con games remaining. 13-2 is a high water mark.

Anyway, I am just rambling. Finishing the non-con with a split vs CU, a sweep of UMass, 1-1 vs ORU, 1-0 vs KS, 1-1 vs KSU, 1-1 vs OU, and 0-3 vs OSU is probably a fair goal. 8-7 and 14-10 in conference are reasonable goals. This group, if healthy, is capable of much more than 31-24.

Comment

As of 3/26

Predictive RPI - 100 (33-22)
      ISR - 125

Overall, regardless of the sweep of UMASS it was a bad week for WSU baseball. If the team goal is to be NCAA tournament caliber team you actually need to win Q1/Q2 games and not lose Q4.

Comment

No help at all with ISR, RPI, ELO this week, from our guys or anyone else frankly.

Have to go 4-0 this week to have really any realistic hope to get back on track with those numbers.

All the while our team metrics are better than they've been in a decade, both raw and rankings.

It's honestly a little hard to believe...of our 13 wins, 8 have been run rule or would have been run rule had the agreement been in place. Only 1 of the wins was really in doubt (first win at Utah Tech). On the other side though, I count 3 games we should have won (LBSU #2, CU #1 & ORU #1) and 4 more that we certainly could have won (LBSU #1, ORU #2, Stetson #3 & KU). That's ignoring the 2 shithole games vs Oakland and UTT. Even if you ignore the KU game, there's 7 games either way and we got 1. A little unlucky and things don't go your way and this team should be 15-8. These guys should be 16-7 to 18-5, at least. It's so frustrating.
        Last edited by WuDrWu; March 26, 2023, 10:12 PM.

Comment

One thing to remember about baseball RPI is that NO weight is given for road games. So when they talk about "tricking" the RPI it's the SEC playing 95% non conference home games that you are even more likely to win that skews the numbers in your favor, big time. Quad 1 games are home, away, neutral 1-50. You get no bump going on the road and beating anyone. OU ain't coming to Wichita when they move to the SEC I promise you, and we shouldn't go there if that's the case.

Also in the Fake News discussion that is the NCAA, the nonsense with identifying them as Quadrants, which clearly connotes some kind of even breakdown of the whole group, is poppycock.

It should be:

Power 5 teams that play only home games and protect each other. 1-50
          The few remaining P5s that can't get their **** together and some decent others. 50-100
          Bizarre worthless grouping so we can have 4 and not 3 groups that don't matter anyway 100-150
          Group that might as well not exist because you can't get out of this quadrant. 150-305

There are more Q4s that 1,2 and 3 combined.
          Last edited by WuDrWu; March 29, 2023, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            One thing to remember about baseball RPI is that NO weight is given for road games. So when they talk about "tricking" the RPI it's the SEC playing 95% non conference home games that you are even more likely to win that skews the numbers in your favor, big time. Quad 1 games are home, away, neutral 1-50. You get no bump going on the road and beating anyone.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              One thing to remember about baseball RPI is that NO weight is given for road games. So when they talk about "tricking" the RPI it's the SEC playing 95% non conference home games that you are even more likely to win that skews the numbers in your favor, big time. Quad 1 games are home, away, neutral 1-50. You get no bump going on the road and beating anyone. OU ain't coming to Wichita when they move to the SEC I promise you, and we shouldn't go there if that's the case.

Also in the Fake News discussion that is the NCAA, the nonsense with identifying them as Quadrants, which clearly connotes some kind of even breakdown of the whole group, is poppycock.

It should be:

Power 5 teams that play only home games and protect each other. 1-50
              The few remaining P5s that can't get their **** together and some decent others. 50-100
              Bizarre worthless grouping so we can have 4 and not 3 groups that don't matter anyway 100-150
              Group that might as well not exist because you can't get out of this quadrant. 150-305

There are more Q4s that 1,2 and 3 combined.
              If Skip is smart, and WSU can get back where it needs to be, he will come. He will want to prepare his teams for playing on the road in SEC. Not weekend series, but mid-week should continue and would benefit WSU as well.

Comment

Working...
              X