Shox vs. Bluejays, Game 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shox vs. Bluejays, Game 1

The Shox close out the regular season in Omaha against the Creighton Bluejays. It will be Josh Smith vs. Ty Blach in game 1.

This is a huge series for the Shox. A chance to finish the conference in 2nd or 3rd place. A chance to keep the rpi in the top 45. And a chance to improve the road record. Also a chance to build on the momentum going into the Valley tourney.

Game 1 is at 7pm on Thursday and will be televised on COX KANSAS 22. :poster_wu:
    Last edited by shox1989; May 17, 2012, 09:25 AM.

Creighton's pitching appears to be solid and capable of keeping them in and winning games.

The matchup's for this weekend are:
    May 17 — Josh Smith (LHP, 6-3, 2.84) vs. Ty Blach (LHP, 5-5, 2.80)
    May 18 — Kris Gardner (LHP, 4-1, 2.24) vs. Shane Liska (RHP, 1-3, 3.89)
    May 19 — A.J. Ladwig (RHP, 4-1, 3.22) vs. Erik Mattingly (RHP, 1-3, 2.98)

Overall Creighton's team ERA is 3.50 vs 3.38 for the Shocks. In conference play Creighton's ERA is 3.63 vs 3.83 for the Shocks.

Creighton's issues appear to be on offense. Overall the are hitting 0.236 as a team with an OPS of .658 while averaging 4.36 runs per game. The Shocks are hitting .281 with an OPS of .753 while averaging 5.75 runs per game.

In conference only play Creighton is hitting .202 with an OPS of .557 while averagin only 3.06 runs per game.
    The Shockers are hitting .251 with an OPS of .674 and averaging 4.67 runs per game.

Statistically it appears the teams are pretty evenly matched on the mound with the Shocks having a slight edge offensively. However, that edge is not enough to expect an easy time of it in Omaha.

Comment

CU's coach loves small ball, if the shox take the outs given to them and play solid D I feel pretty confident.

Comment

One of the keys for the Shockers could very well be our Omaha boys Gillaspie and Ladwig.

With Johnny Coy on fire, but with a bad wheel, I would guess Creighton will be perfectly happy to pitch around him if they have a base open. If so, Casey needs to make them pay.

Hopefully, it doesn't come down to Game 3 to win the series but, in any case, we need A.J. to step up an give us 5 or 6 solid innings.

Comment

Creighton officials are expecting crowds of more than 10,000 for tonight and Friday fueled by promotions for Special Olympics and military appreciation night.

Comment

Not a rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Not a rivalry.
              Not at all

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Not a rivalry.
                Most definitely not.

World Series weekend in Omaha
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Absolutely. Their 3 biggest games of the year...by FAR.

Comment

They are giving a lot of free tickets away for Thursday and Friday night's games. My Brother in law picked up a FREE FAMILY PASS that is good for up to 6 free tickets for Friday night's game.

Comment

If @C0ldBl00ded were ever to make it to the baseball forum, I have little doubt he'd enjoy that.

Comment

SWOMO is bubble team now...

Go Shox

Comment

One run may be enough to beat us.

Comment

Four hits in 2 innigns is a good sign, but hope it is not one of those nights where we simply do not cash in our scoring opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              One run may be enough to beat us.
                              Normally I would completely agree. While I think we're 50/50 to win, I think we'll figure this guy out 2nd or 3rd time through...will we still be in the game? Gotta come up with a big 2 out hit sometime. Would have scored in both the 1st and 2nd with one. CU got one, and scored. 1-0 bottom 2. A little buggy tonight.

How in the world are live stats ahead of the HD Cox feed?

Comment

Working...
                              X