WSU vs Stetson (Mar 10-12)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    He's toughin' it out. Woulda made a good soccer player.
    Except he isn't faking it.

Comment

A decent, grind it out win for the Shocks against a highly regarded pitcher. Candiotti was very workmanlike. He is definitely a finesse guy. He will give up some hits but he seems to be a bit of a bulldog.

Pennington, Millan and Herring are nice additions to the roster. A D-II transfer and 2 Juco guys.

First time in 4 series this year that the Shocks have won Game 1. Hopefully, they will take care of business in Games 2 and 3 and get themselves a sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Except he isn't faking it.
        Only the prima donnas, hispanics, asians, middle easterners, europeans, north americans, central americans, south americans, africans, eskimos, and australians do that.

The rest of us tough it out.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Candiotti was pretty darned good today. Worked ahead and didn't make too many mistakes. Defense let him down to the tune of 2 unearned runs. But the offense picked him up for a change and he got the win.

Jack Little was professional at third. He'll do nicely while Thornhill is out. I think this is the lineup for the most part. Stetson CF made an unreal catch to rob Mo of a double or triple that would have broken the game wide open. Shocks hit several balls hard and I thought competed well at the plate all things considered. Mulhollon came in to relieve Clark and wasn't particularly sharp although his stuff looked ok. Snead came on to try and clean it up but surrendered a couple of hits allowing Mullhollon's runners to score.

Snead's stuff was electric. First FB was at 98 and he was living 96-98 on the fastball and the cutter at 90. I kind of wondered why we had a couple of pull shifts on when I didn't think they would ever catch up to Nate....2 of the hits were to the opposite field. This kid is going to hit 100 when it warms up. And you'll see guns everywhere when he takes the mound. Fun stuff.

Winning is better than losing. Now the trick is to finish the weekend. I like most of the aggressiveness but there were still a lot of things to clean up.

Comment

Stats I like so far:

5 regulars hitting over .300 (Rodden, Pennington, Herring, Tolle, Millan)

31 doubles shows we're being aggressive and driving the ball into the gaps

.290 team BA is .047 better than opponents and the highest in a decade for a WSU team.

ERA is 4.65 which is better than a lot of recent years, and 4.12 if you throw out Bye's numbers. Toss out Bye, Nadler & Boyer and it drops to a paltry 3.65

3.3/1 K/BB is excellent.

98 Ks for our own batters is too high a number, BUT it's an improvement over recent years. And walks are up a bit.

Things I don't like:

Losing games we should win. (At least 2 so far).

Can't get a bunt down (VERY disappointing).

Fielding .965 (at least .008 from being a good solid defensive team)

Refusing to hold runners on resulting in opponents being 21-23 on stolen bases.

I like the aggressiveness on the base paths, but we haven't quite found the sweet spot yet. Too many mistakes.

Comment

Good win, Stetson is projected to be Quad 2 victory.

Anything said why Shane wasn't doing the radio?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                Good win, Stetson is projected to be Quad 2 victory.

Anything said why Shane wasn't doing the radio?
                I didn't hear anything, but I believe he's back today so perhaps he will provide some clarity.

Comment

Game 2 is still a go at 1pm today?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Game 2 is still a go at 1pm today?
                    You betcha. Feels like 52 degrees out there. We should play two!

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

You betcha. Feels like 52 degrees out there. We should play two!
                      Was cold out there watching my kid's soccer game. But came back west and wasn't sure if started raining out east.

Comment

Holy moly Tolle!!!!! 2 run bomb!!

Comment

Stetson graciously spotting us 2 runs to get the game started.

Comment

Come on Tolle, sneak out of this with one run!

Comment

Dang. Stetson up 3-2 in the second.

Comment

Thornhill hurt or struggling with the bat so they’re searching and giving others chances?

Comment

Working...
                                X