Shox vs. DBU Game 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    Ah, when people are calling for champagne toasts because WSU didn't strike out a lot today. That's when you know you're bad.

Looks like no posting rampages today. How funny. Where's shockfan89 at today? .... Figures.
    I was posting updates from the game until my phone died. Not sure what you want out of me? If we go 9-3 the rest of the way and have an RPI of 45 of less and don't get an at large bid I will come on here and say you were right. My only issue with you is that you were calling out the "sunshine pumpers" for quoting a well respected publication that said the Shockers have to go 9-4 to have an RPI of 45 or less. We might do it and we might not. If we play 75% of our remaining games like we played Friday and Saturday I think we will get an at-large bid. If we don't, we won't.

Comment

Mormann should have gone pro. He might have commanded more money, this season may cost him some. If it's a mental thing he's dealing with against college baseball hitters, then he will go mad and institutionalized in the pros.

Comment

It's kind of interesting that if DBU was in the MVC this year they would be in 4th place right now at 7-5 with an RPI of 37.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
          It's kind of interesting that if DBU was in the MVC this year they would be in 4th place right now at 7-5 with an RPI of 37.
          That is interesting. But if Dallas Baptist were in the Valley, it would probably be the 4th or 5th ranked RPI conference and we would be talking about the possiblitiy of 3 or 4 bids instead of being the 7th or 8th ranked conference and the possiblity of maybe 2 or 3 possible bids.

I am still irritated at the Valley leadership for dragging their heals and allowing Dallas Baptist to get away. It was a very stupid move on their part (the Valley).
          Last edited by shocker3; April 30, 2012, 12:16 AM.

Comment

When I came home after a family Sunday this evening and checked the score I was disappointed -- four whole hits? --but was pleasantly surprised to see from Warren Nolan that WSU's RPI stood at .5524 (ranked 54th), exactly where it was after the win Friday. So a split at home (which means the home-road bonus was working against the Shocks) Sat-Sun against a quality opponent left WSU's RPI completely unchanged, and up .0044 and 11 spots overall for the full weekend.

That makes this a big, big week. If the Shocks can take care of business against KSU Tuesday and then manage to win two of three at Indiana State with their excellent record (road bonus working for the Shocks this time), they may be knocking on the door of that top-45 RPI rank Boyd says is so important, as such a week would probably boost their RPI to around .558-.559, which is currently good for 46th-48th (#46 Stetson is at .5596, #47 Sam Houston at .5584 and #48 Auburn at .5581).

Of course, looking at winning two of three at Terre Haute as a big accomplishment (and really not even considering the possibility of a sweep) doesn't quite feel right, but that's another issue. They are where they are, so at this point let's just hope WSU can make the most of the situation they're in.

For what it's worth, Warren Nolan now picks the Shocks to finish ranked 48th (up from 50th after Friday's win) by going 9-4 the rest of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
              -
              It really surprises me. I really expected them to dominate this conference. They still have 9 games left and they are against 3 of the weaker teams in the Valley- Evansville, Bradley, Creighton- so they could finish something like 16-5 or 15-6.

Comment

Some of the tournament projections I have read has dbu as one of the last 10 teams left out. Their weekend in Wichita did not help their resume. They are particularly hurt by their top 50 performance to this point.

Comment

You all can jump around and slap each other on the fanny about how well the Shox competed at the plate, but I felt quite the opposite Sunday. There were a crazy number of pop-ups and easy fly balls hit by Shox hitters. A few hard-hit line-outs, but not that many. About the only guy who hit the ball better than his line indicates is Micah Green who had a couple of hard line-outs. The DBU pitcher rarely had to work under much stress.

I have to say, however, that there are some talented young players on the Shox roster. The infield is stacked, and there at least a couple or three guys who can step in as improvements over departing seniors and be at least as good and mostly better.

The pitching has been inconsistent as hell, but again, good arms, good pitchers who with maturity will get better. Ladwig and Gardner are worth singling out. These guys are WSU-caliber pitchers, for sure, and others are right there or close.

I'm not holding on to any delusion about post season. This team is too inconsistent to 1) win the tourney and 2) win 80% of their games to get in any kind of RPI shape for at-large consideration.

With a different coaching staff, IMO this team could be really good the next two years.

--'85.
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    Some of the tournament projections I have read has dbu as one of the last 10 teams left out. Their weekend in Wichita did not help their resume. They are particularly hurt by their top 50 performance to this point.
                    SB - I would be curious to know if Texas is also on that list of one of the last 10 teams left out? They have an RPI of 42 and DBU is 37. Both teams have the exact same record against top 50 teams.

Comment

Working...
                    X