Weekend rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
    Boyd's RPI Needs Report has fluctuated pretty wildly in the last 10 days, adjusting our number of required wins (to reach an RPI of 45) by as many as 3.

This isn't necessarily a knock on the reliability of his metrics- rather, it's reflective of how projections are adjusted to catch up with actual (unexpected) results.

I am sure they will continue to change. Hanging our hat on getting to 36 (or 37, or 38) wins may not produce the expected results.

I have a gut feeling (nothing else) that 40 wins (MVC Tournament included)will allow us to squeeze in this year. Getting there is a longshot at this point. Not impossible, but a longshot.
    You are right about Boyd's Needs report. It has always been like that. It is a dynamic tool. As teams around us do well our number of wins required may go up and if they don't do as well our number of wins required may go down. All of the teams on the report are moving parts, it is a snapshot of what a team has to do on any given day.

We have 9 games left against teams ranked 53 or better in the RPI. If we can get 13 or 14 regular season wins against that schedule and win 2 or 3 games in the Valley tournament (remember most of the Valley teams have decent RPIs this year) we should be in good shape to finish with a RPI in the top 50.

That will be a very tough task, but it is still possible. Every game here on out is very important. Keep winning and our chances get much better. It starts with getting a couple of wins this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      Yah, and Boyd's World isn't the Gospel either. Sometimes you need just a little common sense. A 36-23 team from the Valley will NOT make the postseason. NO way. NO how. Who are these great teams WSU has padded on their resume? Have they even won a series against anybody worth a damn? I bet you're gonna throw Illinois State at me. Yeah, there's a real eye popper.

An RPI of 45 doesn't guarantee anybody anything. Going 13-6 doesn't do anything either.

This is a prime example of major league grasping.
      Boyds World has been quoted on this site and other college baseball sites as being a good source. I think he is kind of known as being a college baseball guru.

And I seem to recall some Valley teams in the past that have gotten an at large bid to the ncaa tournament with 35 or 36 wins maybe even less before. If our rpi ends up around 45, I like our chances regardless of our actual record.

Comment

Working...
      X