No announcement yet.

Shox vs. Hawks Game 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work by Tobin Mateychick giving us 6 solid innings after last night. Kudos to Ryan Hege for talking Gene into letting him finish the 6th inning. Maybe this will get Tobin going. I believe this was our last 5-game week which may help our pitching depth the rest of the way.

Much better hitting performance tonight going 12-33 = 0.364 vs last night's 10-52 = 0.192.

Shocks did a pretty good job of moving guys around the bases tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      No matter how far the program has fallen, it's always nice to sweep the inferior underlings of the state. Eat it, indeed.
      I couldn't watch last night's game, but either KU is really bad or they were just going through the motions tonight. I didn't see much resembling good baseball from them other than the RF.

Oh, and what's up with the short guy? 5' 6" 160#? On stilts maybe.

Nice game by the Shox after last night's marathon. Mateychick was focused and the hitters took advantage of very mediocre pitchers all night. I really like the progress of the younger guys. Doggett, Parker and Gillaspie are looking very solid. Gillaspie flagged a ball tonight that looked like it was already by him. His footwork isn't polished yet at 1B, but he's night and day from 6 weeks ago both at the plate and in the field.

I wasn't angry when I left tonight, and that's progress.

--'85.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

It felt real good to watch the Shox pound the Jayhawks 10-2. The world seems right again.

Comment

Ku is now 0-5 against the Valley this year. Besides losing twice to WSU they have also lost to Indy State, Creighton and MoST.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            And he is coming on lately after a very poor start. Way to hang in there Casey.
            I truly admire the patience he shows at the plate for a freshman. His on-base skills (and he's walked more than he's struck out), combined with his big time power, are going to be very attractive to teams at the next level. Hope he can continue getting better and better, because his continued improvement only makes us that much better.

Comment

What an enjoyable evening. This kind of game is much easier on my old ticker. I love it when we beat anyone 10-2, but it is even nicer when it is KU.

I know KU is not very good this year, but it is still nice to sweep them. And it is especially nice to pound them like we did tonight.

Many times in the past even when KU wasn't very good they have played us hard and they occasionally beat us even when they shouldn't. Last year they swept us. Order seems to have been restored.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town View Post
                His two Nebraska buddies are pretty good too. (Ladwig, Doggett). I hoping Tanner Kirk is just as good next season.
                I really liked these guys (Gillaspie, Ladwig, Doggett) along with the other freshman (Baker, Sam Hall, Mikel Mucha, Conor Knight) when I watched them play during fall ball. I said then that I thought several of them would get a lot of playing time this season.

It has been great watching them progress and improve as the season has unfolded.

Comment

Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
                  Tobin was solid.

5-1, bottom 6th
                  He certainly was solid. I was very pleased with his performance tonight. I also thought AJ did well tonight too.

Comment

Originally posted by tru2thaduce View Post
                    Felt good.Felt real good to see the Jayhawk ''fans'' hit the exits early.
                    They exited early yesterday too even though the game was tied and in extra innings.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerofandover0943 View Post
                      I truly admire the patience he shows at the plate for a freshman. His on-base skills (and he's walked more than he's struck out), combined with his big time power, are going to be very attractive to teams at the next level. Hope he can continue getting better and better, because his continued improvement only makes us that much better.
                      Watching Casey at the plate I think he is going to be a very, very good hitter. His patience along with his power is a combination you don't see very much. The last Shocker hitter I can think of that had that combination was Pat Magness.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                        I couldn't watch last night's game, but either KU is really bad or they were just going through the motions tonight. I didn't see much resembling good baseball from them other than the RF.

Oh, and what's up with the short guy? 5' 6" 160#? On stilts maybe.

Nice game by the Shox after last night's marathon. Mateychick was focused and the hitters took advantage of very mediocre pitchers all night. I really like the progress of the younger guys. Doggett, Parker and Gillaspie are looking very solid. Gillaspie flagged a ball tonight that looked like it was already by him. His footwork isn't polished yet at 1B, but he's night and day from 6 weeks ago both at the plate and in the field.

I wasn't angry when I left tonight, and that's progress.

--'85.
                        I thought he looked like a midget out there. I don't think I have ever seen a shorter college baseball player.

Comment

Mateychick

For anyone who has followed the career of Tobin Mateychick, his showing last night was very encouraging! As you may recall, he had Tommy John surgery last year, & is being brought along slowly so far this year. Being able to go 6 innings while giving up only one run had to be great for his self confidence on the mound. Gene went out to the mound with 2 outs and guys on base, but cather, Ryan Hege, convinced Gene that Tobin could get the 3rd out and he did.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                            I thought he looked like a midget out there. I don't think I have ever seen a shorter college baseball player.
                            You never got to see Bruce Haertle play?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              You never got to see Bruce Haertle play?
                              No I didn't, but I am sure this guy is even shorter than Bruce.

Comment

Mark Staniford wasn't tall

Comment

Working...
                                X