Recruiting Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiting Question

I was listening to the announcers during the UCLA baseball game today. Peterson was talking about the main problem with bringing stars back to coach at the colleges where they were stars is that they just can’t get “dudes” to play for them. Said they have to have an ace recruiter because they just don’t have any recruiting connections. I know Coach Wedge and Coach Pelphrey we’re great at WSU, but seem to be learning how to coach the college game. Recruiting seems to be going well right now, but who is the ace recruiter for us?

Siri. But Pelf, imho, is way ahead of where I would expect him to be at this point in his coaching career.

Comment

Originally posted by wyatt View Post
      I was listening to the announcers during the UCLA baseball game today. Peterson was talking about the main problem with bringing stars back to coach at the colleges where they were stars is that they just can’t get “dudes” to play for them. Said they have to have an ace recruiter because they just don’t have any recruiting connections. I know Coach Wedge and Coach Pelphrey we’re great at WSU, but seem to be learning how to coach the college game. Recruiting seems to be going well right now, but who is the ace recruiter for us?
      Our coach before Wedge was supposed to have all kinds of recruiting contacts and that didn’t end or even happen well.

Comment

Wedge and Pelfrey hopefully are utilizing Loren Hibbs (or maybe should do so more). He probably is the best overall college coach/recruiter since Gene. Butler did have good recruiting contacts as witnessed by some success in the Bigs from some of his players. He just didn't know how to coach/manage IMHO.

Comment

I am a huge fan of Coach Wedge and feel that this year’s disappointing season will not happen again. The comment just had me curious.

Comment

There are a lot of career progressions, and you just can't put 'em all in the same category. Off the cuff here is my level of risk (7 being the highest risk, 1 being lowest risk):

Level 7: Star college player --> never went pro --> no coaching experience (very high risk recruiter, very high risk manager, very high risk xo)

Level 6: Star college player --> non-star pro career --> no coaching experience (high risk recruiter, very high risk manager, high risk xo)

Level 5: Star college player --> star pro career --> no coaching experience (med risk recruiter, very high risk manager, med risk xo)

Level 4: Star college player --> star pro career --> Juco/NAIA/D3/D2 coaching experience (med risk recruiter, high risk manager, med risk xo)

Level 3: Star college player --> star pro career --> D1 coaching experience (low risk recruiter, med risk manager, low risk xo)

Level 2: Star college player --> star pro career --> MLB coach (very low risk recruiter, very low risk manager, low risk xo)

Level 1: Star college player --> star pro career --> D1 coaching experience --> MLB coach (very low risk recruiter, very low risk manager, very low risk xo)

There are certainly lots of other combinations, but most are obvious where they would fall here.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Not sure on Level 2 that MLB coach = very low risk college recruiter or manager. They're used to "coaching" a different breed of cat and have zero college recruiting experience.

Likewise, Level 3 that D1 coaching experience equals med risk manager. Depends on whether they "managed" a college team or was just a coach/recruiter.

Also, "pro star player" might not mean jack in the college ranks.

Your examples may also give too little credit for having college coaching/"managing" experience for players that never played pro or non-star pro player.

Comment

There are definitely some “dudes” in the 22, 23, and 24 classes, so I think they’re doing a nice job recruiting. But the real key to recruiting is winning. And to do that, they’ve got to find a core of studs who are committed to the process and not heading for the portal every time there’s a challenge. And that commitment needs to be inspired by the head coach, IMHO. Next season is going to be VERY important to this program. There will be a bunch of new faces. But the million dollar question(s) is/are: Can they play and will they stay?

Comment

Side note.Johnny Coy’s nephew Chris Coy commits to Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by tru2thaduce View Post
                    Side note.Johnny Coy’s nephew Chris Coy commits to Kansas.
                    Only coming in to his SO season at Benton (Missouri) HS so he obviously had his eyes on KU. Johnny is his coach at Benton.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      There are a lot of career progressions, and you just can't put 'em all in the same category. Off the cuff here is my level of risk (7 being the highest risk, 1 being lowest risk):

Level 7: Star college player --> never went pro --> no coaching experience (very high risk recruiter, very high risk manager, very high risk xo)

Level 6: Star college player --> non-star pro career --> no coaching experience (high risk recruiter, very high risk manager, high risk xo)

Level 5: Star college player --> star pro career --> no coaching experience (med risk recruiter, very high risk manager, med risk xo)

Level 4: Star college player --> star pro career --> Juco/NAIA/D3/D2 coaching experience (med risk recruiter, high risk manager, med risk xo)

Level 3: Star college player --> star pro career --> D1 coaching experience (low risk recruiter, med risk manager, low risk xo)

Level 2: Star college player --> star pro career --> MLB coach (very low risk recruiter, very low risk manager, low risk xo)

Level 1: Star college player --> star pro career --> D1 coaching experience --> MLB coach (very low risk recruiter, very low risk manager, very low risk xo)

There are certainly lots of other combinations, but most are obvious where they would fall here.
                      You have too much time on your hands. Now do one for college soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

You have too much time on your hands. Now do one for college soccer.
                        Level 7: Star college player --> Doesn't dive and writhe on the floor when a guy insults his mother --> ...
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                        X