In time Dofo, in time.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Don't see a firing in the cards. Gene will retire no later than June 30, 2014. Hopefully, sooner but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Here are a couple of threads from this same disucussion about Gene from last year:

Here is the link to the site that has Gene's contract (among others):

The most current information I can find was that Gene's total salary for FY 2010 was $433,561.

Just by comparison Don Begg's FY 2011 salary was around $277,000.

Gene's current contract has been extended numerous times. The two most recent extensions:

In 2007 Jim Schaus extended Gene's contract for two years from 06/30/10 to 06/30/12.

In 2009 Eric Sexton extended Gene's contract for two years from 06/30/12 to 06/30/14.

If the same pattern was to hold they would have extended the contract for two years at the end of the 2011 season. Thankfully, that was not done. Whether or not Gene asked for it I could not say. If he did, that request was obviously denied. How Gene would react to that, in terms of his drive to put a winning product on the field, is hard to say.

As I have stated previously I think Gene may be coasting to the finish line at this point.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 28, 2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

You are right in that if the pattern held true that GS contract would have been extended and that didn't happen so it looks like the message was sent. One would have to think that GS can see the writing on the wall that he has to produce or no new contract. The way the team is playing this year it looks like his pile of chips keeps getting smaller.

Comment

Who do we hire when Gene is gone?

Comment

We scored 4 runs in the 1st! I say Gene just earned that extension!

Comment

Originally posted by tru2thaduce View Post
                  I'm a big fan of Jim Thomas taking over the reigns.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
                    I'm a big fan of Jim Thomas taking over the reigns.
                    Well, that makes one...

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                      Well, that makes one...
                      Mayne three if you count GS and JT.

Comment

Originally posted by tru2thaduce View Post
                        I doubt that there would be a shortage of quality candidates considering our facilities and fan support. Ironically, much to the credit of Gene himself. It would be nice if Gene could admit that it is time to retire and get behind helping with finding and grooming his replacement so that his legacy can continue to be built upon and not be allowed to die on the vine.

Kevin Hooper's name is one of the more popular that is usually tossed into the hopper (the Hooper hooper I guess). What I don't know is if Kevin has an interest or if he may prefer to try to move up through the pro ranks eventually.

Mark Standiford is another famous and favorite Shocker who might be considered. Interestingly, Mark did make a move into college coaching, abeit at a lower level, as he has been the coach at Tabor College since 2008 I believe.

Travis Wycoff is another former Shocker who would be a candidate I believe and he is versatile, just like he was in college. He could probably be a head coach or a pitching coach (or hanlde both duties as many college coaches do).

That said, it may still be a couple of years before we are seriously dealing with this issue.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 29, 2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          I doubt that there would be a shortage of quality candidates considering our facilities and fan support. Ironically, much to the credit of Gene himself. It would be nice if Gene could admit that it is time to retire and get behind helping with finding and grooming his replacement so that his legacy can continue to be built upon and not be allowed to die on the vine.

Kevin Hooper's name is one of the more popular that is usually tossed into the hopper (the Hooper hooper I guess). What I don't know is if Kevin has an interest or if he may prefer to try to move up through the pro ranks eventually.

Mark Standiford is another famous and favorite Shocker who might be considered. Interestingly, Mark did make a move into college coaching, abeit at a lower level, as he has been the coach at Tabor College since 2008 I believe.

Travis Wycoff is another former Shocker who would be a candidate I believe and he is versatile, just like he was in college. He could probably be a head coach or a pitching coach (or hanlde both duties as many college coaches do).

That said, it may still be a couple of years before we are seriously dealing with this issue.
                          As much as I love me some former Shockers, there is a difference between being a good skipper, and being a good college skipper. IMO, we need to go after a proven College head coach. One that knows how to recruit, and knows how to recruit to the midwest. You can be the best manager in baseball, but if you can't recruit, you're going nowhere fast in college baseball.
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Pretty sure Travis Wycoff is out of baseball. Last I knew he took a profession, non-sport related job in the Dallas area.

I'd like to know Shane Dennis' interest in being more involved in the program.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                              As much as I love me some former Shockers, there is a difference between being a good skipper, and being a good college skipper. IMO, we need to go after a proven College head coach. One that knows how to recruit, and knows how to recruit to the midwest. You can be the best manager in baseball, but if you can't recruit, you're going nowhere fast in college baseball.
                              I can't imagine Mark Staniford with his history of sluggers teams doesn't know how to recruit.

Comment

Working...
                              X