2022 AAC Tournament - Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

CF with a badl wig? RF with a much better arm? RF having his momentum going towards the infield? or????????? Does create another chance for a mishandle.
    Dunno. Just never seen that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Dunno. Just never seen that before.
      Yeah, who knows but I have seen once before, maybe twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Alright, I’m checking out for the year. Hate to say it, but this program ain’t going anywhere with the current pitching coach. NOTHING has improved since he has taken over.

You put up 7 runs in your opening tournament game and it ain’t enough to sniff a win. Effing embarrassing.
        I don’t agree with most of your takes but I cant hate this one. Wasn’t sure why Pelfrey didn’t make a mound visit with the bases juiced in the 7th. And not sure how we don’t have the arms to be more competitive with the staff we have, especially with the juco route and transfer portal being a target.

Comment

Not much in the way of expectations coming in to the the tournament but to the extent their may have been a little hope was probably dashed by losing on Day 1. The Shocks teased us a couple of times in today's game only to give us the Lucy treatment again.

I guess it's appropriate that Charlie Brown was wearing a black and gold shirt.

With Memphis knocking off UCF the Shocks will now face the 2nd seeded Knights tomorrow in an elimination game.

Comment

You guys that want Pelfrey gone do realize there is a bullpen named after him? Whether he deserves to be our pitching coach is one issue, but him leaving involuntarily when he was a part of the upgrades to the stadium would be more than uncomfortable for the school, the program, and Wedge himself wouldn’t it?

Just trying to look at all sides of the equation.
            Last edited by shoxlax; May 25, 2022, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
              You guys that want Pelfrey gone do realize there is a bullpen named after him? Whether he deserves to be our pitching coach is one issue, but him leaving involuntarily when he was a part of the upgrades to the stadium would be more than uncomfortable for the school, the program, and Wedge himself wouldn’t it?

On the other hand you shouldn't be able to buy a tenured coaching position by making a donation and I don't think that as Pelfrey's intention or goal. The head coaches have or should have pretty much total control over who their assistants are (subject to any conduct clauses in their contracts). That wasn't the case with Butler and Kemnitz and then when that didn't work out that became an excuse for Butler.

Personally I don't think I have enough information to really evaluate MP's job performance as a pitching coach from a technical and strategic standpoint. Ultimately, the decision on who to start and when to make pitching changes lies with HCEW. And while MP no doubt has input and some responsibilities in recruiting the recruiting coordinator is Siriani and, again HCEW no doubt has final approval on whether to make an offer or not.

Since the buck ultimately stops with HCEW and since HCEW has the ability to pick and chose his assistants I will leave it up his judgement as to whether MP should stay or go. If HCEW is keeping MP around only because he donates money to the program, which I doubt is even remotely the situation, then HCEW isn't doing his job.

If HCEW thinks MP can do the job then I'm fine with that. If HCEW doesn't thing MP can do the job then he should make a change. If HCEW is true to his word that he is not here to make friends then I trust that he will make a much more informed decision about MP than I could possibly make.

Not saying the performance of the pitching staff is where it should be. But if MP is the problem and HCEW keeps him around then the blame belongs on HCEW.

Comment

On the other hand you shouldn't be able to buy a tenured coaching position by making a donation and I don't think that as Pelfrey's intention or goal. The head coaches have or should have pretty much total control over who their assistants are (subject to any conduct clauses in their contracts). That wasn't the case with Butler and Kemnitz and then when that didn't work out that became an excuse for Butler.

Personally I don't think I have enough information to really evaluate MP's job performance as a pitching coach from a technical and strategic standpoint. Ultimately, the decision on who to start and when to make pitching changes lies with HCEW. And while MP no doubt has input and some responsibilities in recruiting the recruiting coordinator is Siriani and, again HCEW no doubt has final approval on whether to make an offer or not.

Since the buck ultimately stops with HCEW and since HCEW has the ability to pick and chose his assistants I will leave it up his judgement as to whether MP should stay or go. If HCEW is keeping MP around only because he donates money to the program, which I doubt is even remotely the situation, then HCEW isn't doing his job.

If HCEW thinks MP can do the job then I'm fine with that. If HCEW doesn't thing MP can do the job then he should make a change. If HCEW is true to his word that he is not here to make friends then I trust that he will make a much more informed decision about MP than I could possibly make.
                Don’t disagree with any of this in theory, but reality makes it visibly uneasy. Same reason you never name a stadium after an existing coach.

Comment

Don’t disagree with any of this in theory, but reality makes it visibly uneasy. Same reason you never name a stadium after an existing coach.
                  Was the bullpen named after MIke after he became the Shocker's pitching coach? Asking because I do not know.

Comment

And that’s why you don’t make safe, inside hires, based on past on the field accolades and donations and not experience. Now, you’re left in this spot.

So now our pitching suffers and thus our program suffers because of a legacy hire. That’s so WSU. Unfortunately for Pelfrey, he was a Butler hire and that should probably mean something too.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Not saying the performance of the pitching staff is where it should be. But if MP is the problem and HCEW keeps him around then the blame belongs on HCEW.
                      So what’s the point of a pitching coach? What should be then expected of a pitching coach?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

So what’s the point of a pitching coach? What should be then expected of a pitching coach?
                        A good question. And since HCEW's opinion on that is the only one that really counts he would have to answer that.

According, goShockers.com the email address for HCEW is ltalbott@goshockers.com (that would be Lottie Talbott, Administrative Assistant).

Not sure if you can get that question to him on his coach's show although a good chance he will not have another show this season. At least none are scheduled at this point.

All I know is the HCEW has publicly state the program is not where it needs to be and he is not here to make friends. Whether that will lead to any personnel changes remains to be seen.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 25, 2022, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X