Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    But he dropped the ball.
    It appeared to me that he dropped the ball when he was trying to apply the tag. The guy should have already been called out before that point. He didn't need to tag him. It was a force play. As soon as Elam flipped him the ball and he caught it (which he did), McQueen should have called the guy out. That's what I and hundreds others were yelling at McQueen right after he blew the call.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
      It appeared to me that he dropped the ball when he was trying to apply the tag. The guy should have already been called out before that point. He didn't need to tag him. It was a force play. As soon as Elam flipped him the ball and he caught it (which he did), McQueen should have called the guy out. That's what I and hundreds others were yelling at McQueen right after he blew the call.
      There is the problem - it is a force play and the catcher tries to apply the tag. The only reason why a catcher attempts to the tag is if he doesn't think he has or can find the plate in time otherwise he just catches the ball and clears himself. By him trying to apply the tag he is telling McQueen he wasn't on the base (regardless of whether he was or wasn't). The reality is Arens was probably overwhelmed and wasn't thinking how many outs and just instinctively applied the tag and then dropped the ball.

But these fundamental plays is example of what is wrong with this team and wrong with this program. Parker with 2 outs and full count on the batter in the 8th was not running on the pitch. Fundamental breakdown. In little league you are taught this. It is like what Shane Dennis harped on all weekend - when you play a team like LBS, you have to be totally engaged mentally every play.

In the last few years I have watched player not running ball outs. I have watched players doing home run trots on balls that didn't make it out of the yard and held to a long single after it hits the wall, .....on and on. We hear excuses for injuries, we hear excuses because we lost recruiting classes to the draft, we have a coaching staff that does stuff that is just questionable. I don't think Gene even know how to effectively use whatever talent you have. He can't decide whether he is a small ball team or team that is going to use it team speed (we already know they not a slugging team with 0.387 slugging pct). Look at Elam. How many chances has Elam gotten to pitch in the last 2 weeks - twice. He is probably one of their most talented pitchers on the team, but no wonder he is a little rusty.

These were not the attitudes of the team/program in the 80's and 90's. You don't think the '89 had injuries? You don't think this program lost good players to the draft year in and year out?

Comment

Based on attendance, the time can't be to far away.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]243[/ATTACH]
        I totally agree with your graphic and understand the correlation you are trying to make it. It is definitely there. However, this year is still a bit skewed without the KU/KSU/OSU games that will undoubtedly boost attendance figures just a bit.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

There is the problem - it is a force play and the catcher tries to apply the tag. The only reason why a catcher attempts to the tag is if he doesn't think he has or can find the plate in time otherwise he just catches the ball and clears himself. By him trying to apply the tag he is telling McQueen he wasn't on the base (regardless of whether he was or wasn't). The reality is Arens was probably overwhelmed and wasn't thinking how many outs and just instinctively applied the tag and then dropped the ball.

But these fundamental plays is example of what is wrong with this team and wrong with this program. Parker with 2 outs and full count on the batter in the 8th was not running on the pitch. Fundamental breakdown. In little league you are taught this. It is like what Shane Dennis harped on all weekend - when you play a team like LBS, you have to be totally engaged mentally every play.

In the last few years I have watched player not running ball outs. I have watched players doing home run trots on balls that didn't make it out of the yard and held to a long single after it hits the wall, .....on and on. We hear excuses for injuries, we hear excuses because we lost recruiting classes to the draft, we have a coaching staff that does stuff that is just questionable. I don't think Gene even know how to effectively use whatever talent you have. He can't decide whether he is a small ball team or team that is going to use it team speed (we already know they not a slugging team with 0.387 slugging pct). Look at Elam. How many chances has Elam gotten to pitch in the last 2 weeks - twice. He is probably one of their most talented pitchers on the team, but no wonder he is a little rusty.

These were not the attitudes of the team/program in the 80's and 90's. You don't think the '89 had injuries? You don't think this program lost good players to the draft year in and year out?
          Right on. Let 89 and shocker3 spin that post away. They can't.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
          X