Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Admission For Andover Residents

Free Admission Offered to Andover Residents

Wichita State will be offering free admission to the May 6 softball and baseball games to all residents of Andover and eastern Sedgwick County who were affected by the tornado on April 29.

Wichita State will be offering free admission to the May 6 softball and baseball games to all residents of Andover and eastern Sedgwick County who were affected by the tornado on April 29.

The softball game vs. UCF starts at 6 p.m. at Wilkins Stadium and the baseball game vs. Houston starts at 6 p.m. at Eck Stadium. Fireworks will take place on the east side of Eck Stadium after both games are completed.

Residents affected by the tornado can pick up their tickets at the ticket office at each stadium.

Fans will have the opportunity to donate to the United Way Disaster Relief Fund at both games. If you are unable to attend, click here to make a donation.

Not sure free admission to the baseball or softball game is much solace to anyone affected by the tornado but I do like the fact they are soliciting donations to the United Way Disaster Relief Fund.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 2, 2022, 06:10 PM.

Free admission to the baseball game? Haven't they suffered enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcatmo21 View Post
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcatmo21 View Post
        That's why softball is also an option, but Wilkins only seats 1000.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

That's why softball is also an option, but Wilkins only seats 1000.
          May not even be that high.

The goShockers.com site says that is the capacity: https://goshockers.com/sports/2015/5...l_Complex.aspx

However, in a write up in his RoundHouse column after the KU game Paul Sullentrip wrote: The Shockers (25-13) run-ruled Kansas 9-1 in five innings in front of a sold-out crowd of 762 fans at Wilkins Stadium. Link to article: https://goshockers.com/news/2022/4/2...ing-there.aspx

The box score for the KU game reported that attendance at 762 fans.

And IIRC, Coach Bredbenner mentioned on her radio show that they had to turn some fans away at that game.

Not sure, how many Andover residents will show up but, in any case, if you are interesting in going to any of the 3 games vs UCF this weekend you might want to go ahead and purchase your tickets online. Note that all tickets are general admission so it would be good to show up early as well.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 5, 2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

May not even be that high.

The goShockers.com site says that is the capacity: https://goshockers.com/sports/2015/5...l_Complex.aspx

However, in a write up in his RoundHouse column after the KU game Paul Sullentrip wrote: The Shockers (25-13) run-ruled Kansas 9-1 in five innings in front of a sold-out crowd of 762 fans at Wilkins Stadium. Link to article: https://goshockers.com/news/2022/4/2...ing-there.aspx

The box score for the KU game reported that attendance at that 762 fans.

And IIRC, Coach Bredbenner mentioned on her radio show that they had to turn some fans away at that game.

Not sure, how many Andover residents will show up but, in any case, if you are interesting in going to any of the 3 games vs UCF this weekend you might want to go ahead and purchase your tickets online. Note that all tickets are general admission so it would be good to show up early as well.
            Maybe they could temporarily move the left field bleachers from the Eck... they don't seem to be used much anymore.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If capacity is less than 800, they need to find a way to add more seats. They play enough games against KU and OU that they'll more than likely sell the tickets. And if they continue to be relevant and with the local softball culture with the youth, they could really potentially capitalize on some of that. Turning away fans is never a positive for a sport like this.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

You can stand outside the outfield wall and watch but with the new wall most will need a stool to stand on to see over the new fence.

The one place you can get reserved seating is to rent an outfield pavilion in right field. Accommodates up to 20 fans. Single games starting at $300.

https://goshockers.com/news/2022/3/7...s-stadium.aspx

If you do sit out there pay attention. Lolo has hit a couple of frozen ropes for home runs this year that could do serious damage if you found yourself on the receiving end of one of those.

I don't know if this pavilions are included in the capacity numbers. I don't think they are.

Comment

I officially want the new AD to raise money to get a section of seats added down the third base line. It's been a bit since I've been to Wilkins and I wasn't thinking about it at the time, but from what I can picture and easily access with a quick search, I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to build up seating around what's already there and add another 300-400 seats. And there appear to be available spacing to build something in the outfield if they wish down the line. I know we don't have to get crazy with seating, but I'd rather have a bit too much for a sport like this, than not enough. Especially when we're talking a need of less than 2k total. I'd love to see maybe 1200-1500 as an option at some point. Especially if Kristi keeps things rolling.

I could be wrong about availability down third base. The pictures I'm finding don't give me a good view of everything, but regardless, I'd like to see capacity increased and would like to know why they claim 1000 but then don't utilize that. But there's definitely outfield space that could be used to add a few hundred seats. I need to pay more attention.
                  Last edited by SubGod22; May 5, 2022, 11:54 AM. Reason: Questioning my memory on the structural design around Wilkins Stadium because I'm a big dumdum.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    If capacity is less than 800, they need to find a way to add more seats. They play enough games against KU and OU that they'll more than likely sell the tickets. And if they continue to be relevant and with the local softball culture with the youth, they could really potentially capitalize on some of that. Turning away fans is never a positive for a sport like this.
                    The Shocks are only playing 11 games at home this season. I think that is bit of an outlier although not sure why that was the case this year. Plus the Shocks will only play 47 games this year. Lost a couple to weather but they still were 7 games short of the 56 games allowed.

For the 8 home dates prior to the UCF series they have averaged attendance of 552. HIghest attended game was not the KU game but the Okie State game at 776. Perhaps use of the right field pavilion area was greater for the OSU game.

If you build it will they come? It will be interesting to see how the UCF series draws as these are the most important games of the season.

Comment

Working...
                    X