Hit'n and Such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit'n and Such

I went and looked at how WSU hitting and Pitching have compared against the NCAA Avg since 1997 (chose this date just because that is all the NCAA data I could find easily). I plotted the averages in 4 year periods (except for the last 2 with the bat changes).

2012 looks a lot better than it really is, it is pretty bad. The ND series is weighted to much right now (62 of the 107 WSU runs were scored in that series). That series almost makes a terrible hitting team seem average. In the end it will all average out. Without the ND series, WSU is averaging 3 runs per game, and pitching is giving up 4.1 runs per game. But it will all work out when more games are played and each season has those type of series.

Capture.JPG

Thanks for bringing up this glorious data an hour after a devastating basketball loss.

Comment

So if I read your chart right, last year's WSU team averaged almost one full run more per game than the ncaa average. That actually kind of surprises me. It seemed like our offense was pretty weak last year.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
        So if I read your chart right, last year's WSU team averaged almost one full run more per game than the ncaa average. That actually kind of surprises me. It seemed like our offense was pretty weak last year.
        If you thought last year was weak, you haven't seen nothing yet.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          Thanks for bringing up this glorious data an hour after a devastating basketball loss.
          Just part of the overall theme of the day, lax. For the Shocks and us fans, Friday the 13th fell on Thursday the 16th this month. Besides, thinking about baseball, however unsatisfactorily, is a way to NOT think about basketball -- and there's something to be said for that right about now.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
            You are reading it right. I was surprised a little also. The important thing is the difference between runs scored and runs allowed - that is a very good indicator of winning pct (using the Pythag theorem). WSU last year actually underachieved by 3 or 4 wins. Which confirms suspicion based on the number of players drafted that WSU last year was better talented than their record indicated. WSU just wins those 3 or 4 games that they should have won but lost and they probably go to NCAA last year.

Regardless of the bat excuses, WSU hitting (or run scoring ability) has clearly been on a decline relative to all the other NCAA teams the late-90's.

Comment

Nice I would to see the average of just the top 50 teams. Take the north Dakotas of the world out of the equation to see how wsu really stacks up over the past few years. That maybe a little to depressing though.

Comment

Yeah, probably to much work (alot of teams probably play a series against a ND anyway so it all averages out in the long run). I mainly did this excersise to answer the question of whether it was the "bats" or not that has caused the demised of wsu baseball hitting - which it is not.

Comment

I would imagine that a chart of inflation-adjusted annual revenue from baseball would look startlingly similar to the chart of our offensive output.

Comment

Money does talk. And it has to be talking more and more every year this keeps up.

Comment

In 4 games vs. the 24th ranked team this weekend total run for WSU 21 for PU 23 Hits WSU 41 PU 38 errors WSU 6 PU 6 as I watched this weekend I thought Purdue was a good hitting team now its over the Shockers out hit them ??? Go figure.

Purdue hit .281 on 38 hits in 135 at bats with 10 walks 6 hit by pitch and struck out 21 times.

WSU hit .303 on 41 hits in 135 at bats with 12 walks 2 hit by pitch and struck out 28 times.

Shocks need to cut down on there strikeouts but its not as bad as people say. Is it?

WOW just 3 hits raise your average .022 points that's a gork, a flair, a seeing eye ground ball.
                      Last edited by shock10; March 18, 2012, 07:11 AM.
                      First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by shock10 View Post
                        In 4 games vs. the 24th ranked team this weekend total run for WSU 21 for PU 23 Hits WSU 41 PU 38 errors WSU 6 PU 6 as I watched this weekend I thought Purdue was a good hitting team now its over the Shockers out hit them ??? Go figure.
                        They have the #1 team batting average in the country. I was glad to see the Shox OUT HIT THEM!
                        Last edited by shox1989; March 18, 2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

You might make an argument that our pitching evened the playing field. Purdue came in averaging almost 10 runs a game. Our pitching knocked them down to an average of 5.75 runs per game (for the 4 game series). WSU came in averaging 5.7 runs per game and we ended up scoring 5.25 runs per game (in the 4 game series).

The bottom line is we split with a very good baseball team and that makes me very happy!

Comment

Purdue hit .281 on 38 hits in 135 at bats with 10 walks 6 hit by pitch and struck out 21 times.

WSU hit .303 on 41 hits in 135 at bats with 12 walks 2 hit by pitch and struck out 28 times.

Shocks need to cut down on there strikeouts but its not as bad as people say. Is it?

WOW just 3 hits raise your average .022 points that's a gork, a flair, a seeing eye ground ball.
                            Good points. Holding that Purdue team to a .281 batting average is a testament to our good pitching. If we can hit around .300 this season and play good defense we should have a really good season.

Comment

Like I said, our excellent pitching leveled the playing field, allowing us to get the split with Purdue. You have to love that we out hit the top hitting team in the country!

Comment

Working...
                              X