New American Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New American Baseball

If I'm looking at it correctly, we're adding 5 baseball programs as UNT doesn't field a team.

FAU is certainly competitive with what we lost in UCF, at least in the last few years.

Rice had a nice run, but they've been pretty bad for at least 4-6 seasons.

UAB hasn't done much in that same time frame.

UNCC has been up and down, but every bit as good as say Cincinnati (in fact better, if not a lot better).

UTSA probably a step down from Houston, but it's not a big step down by any measure.

My guess is the RPI needle moves down a shade, but not much. We'll need improvement from Rice and UAB for sure, but I would hope and expect that they will improve with the conference upgrade.

It should be 10 teams for baseball when the dust is settled. Hopefully back to 3 game weekends. 27 league games. Really hope the tourney stays in Clearwater though but I won't be surprised if it changes, perhaps dramatically.

Medium-term history aside, I think you're possibly selling UNCC short. Their new coach won 41 games and went to a regional in his first year. Hell, they were in the discussion to host, even. I doubt that's an accident. Looking forward to that series, especially given Scooter's history there. It's a ways out, but I would expect them to join ECU, Tulane, FAU and the Shocks in the top half of the league in a couple of years.
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

As far as moving the tournament from Clearwater JJ and I will Scout the Frisco area in the Spring as a possible site.

Comment

The Clearwater venue is really first class, 2021 being a bit of an exception (and it really wasn't The American's fault per se). It's also a beautiful area, sun and sand, and a nice bonus for the kids if you ask me.

Nothing against Frisco, which is a really neat area.

That being said, when I had my ear to the ground at the Stadium in Clearwater in May, I heard more than one person discuss hosting on site at the previous year's champ's home. Not sure if it will get traction, probably not. But that trip is extraordinarily expensive with basically no revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          The Clearwater venue is really first class, 2021 being a bit of an exception (and it really wasn't The American's fault per se). It's also a beautiful area, sun and sand, and a nice bonus for the kids if you ask me.

Nothing against Frisco, which is a really neat area.

That being said, when I had my ear to the ground at the Stadium in Clearwater in May, I heard more than one person discuss hosting on site at the previous year's champ's home. Not sure if it will get traction, probably not. But that trip is extraordinarily expensive with basically no revenue.
          It is beautiful in Clearwater but as you said it is an expensive trip. I would think somewhere like Frisco would be more centric and better attended. I could see a bidding process for schools to host like in the old movalley days. Eck is a superb facility and with the River Park baseball field available that might be a consideration.

Comment

It's going to be interesting to see what UTSA and Rice especially think about dropping 60-75K on the post season tourney. It's not chump change, especially these days for non revenue generating sports.

Comment

How many rainouts occur at Clearwater? Nice beaches but it seems to rain a lot and when sunny it is downright sultry.

I prefer the tournament moves to Riverfront, OKC or the Dallas area.

Comment

I think the first year for WSU in 2018 we had a day delayed by weather that moved things around a bit, but hardly a big deal. Maybe there was a Saturday championship game delayed or called off one year because of storms. Of course the league was 8 at that point and could be somewhat larger in the near future. However, it's late spring, storms will be everywhere and no site will be exempt from weather delays based on location. That's a silly point.

Proximity to Wichita, or a more centralized location in general certainly is a valid argument, but I would think an argument more limited to those that are actually going to support and attend, so I'm not sure why you care.

There's no way the league would forego Dallas for OKC and there's zero chance that Wichita would host unless it's rotational or based on performance (championships) as ECU and the Florida schools for starters would never put up with it, and shouldn't. It's not 1990 and Gene isn't coming back.

Clearwater, rotational or Dallas, in that order, are the likely destinations.

Comment

I was actually in St Pete at that time.
                  I’m not impressed with the area or weather.
                  Move it to a closer location.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                    I was actually in St Pete at that time.
                    I’m not impressed with the area or weather.
                    Move it to a closer location.
                    Mike.Aresco@theamerican.org

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Thank you…

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Thank you…
                        Give him the “business”…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I suggest Nashville. Only Temple would be more than 10 hrs away. It would be drivable. The Sounds have a very nice ballpark. Lots of activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                            I suggest Nashville. Only Temple would be more than 10 hrs away. It would be drivable. The Sounds have a very nice ballpark. Lots of activities.
                            I like it. That too would be much better than lousy Tampa St Pete area and its horrible wet, humid spring weather

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                              Nashville would be great. Very cool city but the traffic is terrible. Jack Daniels distillery is a reasonable drive for those enjoying an adult beverage.

Comment

Working...
                              X