Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks to play two fall exhibition games

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/9/2...announced.aspx

Cowley College and Team Canada coming to Eck in September. $5 tickets! Team Canada is likely the U18 team, which will be coming off a fall "Friendship Series" vs. Team USA U18.

Last edited by Wuzee; September 2, 2021, 02:07 PM.
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Guys have been looking good so far, and Monday is almost here. Hope to see many of you there Monday afternoon. Bring a picnic basket, it's likely to be a long game.

Comment

Shockers Fall to Cowley in Exhibition

Cowley College defeated Wichita State 15-11 in a 16-inning exhibition game at Eck Stadium.

Box Score: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...WSU_CC_box.pdf

Cowley used 10 pitchers. The Shocker used 9 pitchers.

Cowley scored 15 runs (all earned runs) on 18 hits, 11 walks, 3 hit batters and 2 Shocker errors.

The Shockers score 11 runs (all earned runs) on 17 hits, 13 walls. 3 hit batters and 2 Cowley errors.

Only of the 9 Shocker pitchers had scoreless outings. Payton Tolle pitched 2 scoreless innings allowing 1 hit and striking out 3 and Connor Holden pitched 2 scoreless innings allowing 1 hit and striking out 2.

Xavier Casserilla led the Shockers going 2-for-5 with four RBI and a home run, while Chuck Ingram went 3-for-5 with three doubles.

Hopefully, HCEW and PCMP learned a lot from this 5 hour scrimmage. Still losing to a Juco team even if it was scrimmage game doesn't build a lot of confidence, either with the players or the fans. But I guess those things can happen, especially in baseball.

WuDrWu I presume you were probably there for at least some portion of this scrmmage. Any thoughts? Anyone else at the scrimmage who can share some observations?

Comment

We have to figure out who is making the team. There are 44 kids out now and they have to get to 35.

I didn't see all of it...maybe half. 16 innings. Tolle (I was wrong before, it's pronounced TOLL-eee) is just a specimen. He made a couple of nice plays in the field but I thought he was late a lot at the plate but when he hits it, it's hit hard.

I thought he pitched ok. His numbers were better than anyone's but I didn't think he was dominant or anything (you'll take that every time though).

We were only throwing limited pitches, mostly fastballs. UT transfer Austin Wallace just could not throw a strike in his 2nd inning of work. His 1st was NAILS. Then he walked I think 5 in his 2nd inning. Couldn't get a gift strike. I feel pretty confident we've got our hot corner guy in XC. He's got a strong arm, seems ready, and can hit a little (had a 2 run jack tonight).

Short I think is the only other up in the air position right now. That and DH (Tolle certainly has a inside lead on that).

Will Stark was patient and seems to be a team guy (anything you need he'll do). Jordan Rogers looked like he knew what he was doing out there. Janson Reeder hit the ball hard.

Pitching was kind of a mess but like I said, the guys were limited with the pitches they could throw. Lindemann punched 2 guys out that would have gotten big leaguers out but gave up 2 hits and 2 runs in an inning. Pretty sure Stumpy will be a starter when the spring rolls around (only 5 months away believe it or not....less time than since basketball ended).

I thought Matt Boyer was a bit of a pleasant surprise. He gave up a run on 5 hits in 3 innings. He didn't K anyone, but he hit 94 on the gun more than once.

Connor Holden will probably get first crack at closer, and I get the feeling he's a bit of a gamer.

Cowley had a guy that touched 96!

Comment

I know it’s a scrimmage but it’s a little embarrassing.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            I know it’s a scrimmage but it’s a little embarrassing.
            Nah. Cowley is a top-flight juco program. Their top arms and position players are D1 players in everything but name, with multiple D1 transfers on their roster. Plus, it wasn't even a normal scrimmage. At one point they stopped the game mid inning and called it over because the pitcher hit his pitch count and they wanted to fit innings into the time window for the new guys. At that point, WSU did a complete line-change at every position. Cowley stuck with the top half of their order for the entire game, with their guys logging 8 ABs for the day.

I really hope this isn't the format for the Team Canada game, though. Would like to see a normal game.

Past that, I agree about shortstop. Unfortunately, I really didn't see anybody that was close to Stewart's ability with the glove. Thornhill didn't seem like he had much range and also had a throwing error on a rushed DP throw. Brock Rodden, who was listed as a SS coming out of H.S. looked good with the glove at third, making a very nice diving stop and throw, so he might be an option at SS. I didn't stick around long enough to see Will Carpenter.

Whatever happens, Xavier Casserilla is a straight-up stud, though, and has to be the guy at third. I would guess that Tolle is front-runner at DH and he also looked like a fantastic insurance policy for Kocis at 1B.
            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Good highlights if you follow Wichita State Baseball Analytics and Equipment. They show some good intersquad plays. For instance, XC going the other way for a 435 foot bomb today.

Comment

10-4 good guys headed to 8th. Casserilla is 3-4 with two doubles.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                  10-4 good guys headed to 8th. Casserilla is 3-4 with two doubles.
                  I am pretty sure we have a player at third base.

An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

The new X man….

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

I am pretty sure we have a player at third base.
                      We gotta a guy there.

Comment

Shockers won 13-8 in a 12 inning game.

Casserilla finished 4-7 with two doubles and a triple.

Box Score

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Nebraska Exhibition Game Canceled

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/9/2...cancelled.aspx

Wichita State and Nebraska announced Tuesday the cancelation of next Saturday's fall exhibition due to COVID-19 protocols. The game was originally scheduled to be held at Haymarket Park in Lincoln on October 2.

The contest will not be rescheduled.

The Shockers begin the Black and Yellow Fall World Series on Saturday, October 9 at 1:00 PM. The final game of the five-game series will be held Saturday, October 16 to round out the fall portion of the schedule.

Comment

Well this sucks. JJ and I had a road trip planned this Saturday to Lincoln. We watched a little of the WSU Team Canada game yesterday. I will tell you Xavier Cassarilla is going to be a keeper at third base. Gonna love this guy baseball fans.
                            Last edited by pogo; September 29, 2021, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              Well this sucks. JJ and I had a road trip planned this Saturday to Lincoln. We watched a little of the WSU Team Canada game yesterday. I will tell you Xavier Cassarilla is going to be a keeper at third base. Gonna love this guy baseball fans.
                              The blonde behind home plate in the tennis outfit was a keeper also!
                              An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Working...
                              X