rule change on HBP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rule change on HBP

Among the rules changes, the most significant one is a crackdown on players leaning into pitches to "take a dose," to use the West Coast terminology. Players who lean in to get hit by a pitch will not be awarded first base, but if a player freezes in the batter’s box and gets hit, he will be awarded first. In other words, counter to popular belief, the hitter does not need to try to get out of the way of a pitch. If he wants to stand there and wear it, go ahead and wear it.

As has been discussed on SN before this does not appear to be a rule change. The determination of the flight of the ball and the batter's postion and action is up to the discretion of the umpire. Perhaps they are referring to an emphasis on the rules already in place.

From the 2004 Rule Book

d. When hit by a pitched ball at which the individual is not attempting to
    strike;
    A.R.—If the batter intentionally gets touched by moving or rolling any part of the body into
    the pitch, the umpire shall call a strike or ball in accordance with Rules 7-4 and 7-5.
    (1) If the batter is hit by a pitch in the strike zone, the pitch is a strike,
    the ball is dead, no runners may advance and the batter is not
    awarded first base.
    (2) If the batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball and
    the pitch is out of the strike zone, the pitch shall be called a ball. The
    ball is dead, no runners may advance and the batter is not awarded
    first base.
    A.R.—If the batter freezes (makes no attempt to avoid the pitch) and is hit by a pitch that
    is clearly inside the vertical lines of the batter’s box, the ball is dead and the batter is
    awarded first base.
    (3) If the pitch is ball four, the batter shall be awarded first base and
    credited for being hit by the pitch (the ball is immediately dead).

Comment

Didn't we see this called last year against one of our opponents? Was it Irvine or someone else? I beleive they had two guys that weren't awarded first base because the umpire ruled that they leaned into the pitch.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
        Didn't we see this called last year against one of our opponents? Was it Irvine or someone else? I beleive they had two guys that weren't awarded first base because the umpire ruled that they leaned into the pitch.

This happened to us and our opponents several times last season. It definitely seemed like "not getting out of the way" was a point of emphasis.

I do seem to remember that Irvine threw their elbows in front of a few pitches against you guys last year though.

Comment

So, as long as it appears you are maybe leaning back to avoid the pitch, then you get the HBP. If you lean in and get plunked, well then, you're just dumb.

Comment

Something I don't see talked about a lot is that the pitch must be in the batter's box in order for the player to be awarded a HBP. Even if a batter "freezes", if he's between the white lines, it's not a HBP

(2) If the batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball and the pitch is out of the strike zone, the pitch shall be called a ball. The ball is dead, no runners may advance and the batter is not awarded first base.
            This has always been my beef - a batter hangs out over the plate and is hit by a pitch just off the black, or even over the plate but up out of the strike zone.

Comment

Working...
            X