No announcement yet.

Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like our roster could be almost completely different next season.

Comment

I think Will Stevens has a shot as our closer or set up guy.

Comment

FYI, I just posted an updated Class of 2021recruiting list in the pinned recruiting thread.
        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Thanks Wuzee!

Comment

There are 32 names currently on the roster. We know:

Officially out of eligibility: Snavely, Bartlett, Barnhouse, G Stroh

Took part in senior day and highly unlikely to return: Eddy, Stuempfig, Gibson, Wallace, Bechtel

Draft eligible and probably wouldn't return if drafted: Kocis, Haase

Gone according to Twitter: VanVooren

That's 20-22 remaining.

I would purely guess there are no more than 7 that might seek a better fit elsewhere for a variety of reasons, mostly to find a place to play more.

17 commits on Wuzee update.

Based on those numbers, I would guess we aren't done bringing in new faces for fall 2021.

Comment

Going to be a lot of new faces next year. Still pending who goes where after the draft, but I am cautiously optimistic going in to next season. On one hand you have a lot of guys who were hand picked by EW and staff on the other they will be very young and inexperienced.

Go Shox!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                Going to be a lot of new faces next year. Still pending who goes where after the draft, but I am cautiously optimistic going in to next season. On one hand you have a lot of guys who were hand picked by EW and staff on the other they will be very young and inexperienced.

Go Shox!
                How things shake out this summer and what the roster looks line for next season will be very interesting to follow.

Right now we have 32 players on the roster. We have 4 seniors who finished their eligibility this season.. That would be Corrgian Bartlett, Preston Snavely, Tommy Barhhouse and Gareth Stroh. In addition, 5 other players with eligibility remaining took part in the senior day festivities. Those would be Hunter Gibson, Liam Eddy, Paxton Wallace, Ryan Stuempfig and Aaron Bechtel (based on the tweets posted on the Shocker baseball twitter account on May 23rd).

So were down to 23 players. If all 17 of the recruits that are still committed at this point showup that would take us to 40. 5 over the active roster limit. Of the 23 players remaining on the current roster their not doubt be some player losses. I suppose the big question among those players is what will Garret Kocis and Aaron Haase do regarding starting their pro careers. Hard to imagine Kocis will be be back. Hard to say with Haase. No doubt there are at least a few others who will see the handwriting on the wall and decide to go a different route as well.

So at this point I don't think Coach Wedge has over-recruited at all, but, yeah, next year's team will have a totally new look. In a way this next year will pretty much be year 1 of Coach Wedge's attempt to rebuild the Foundation of Shocker baseball but I'm not expecting any overnight miracles in this effort but I certainly hope to see signs of promise for a better future in a couple of years.

Comment

It's probably easier to list what returning players we can dependably write into the lineup next year.

Assuming both Kocis and Haase move on (not a 100% certainty) here is my list. Not a very long one:

Position Players (Including the DH):
                  C - Ross Cadena
                  2B - Jack Sigrist
                  OF - Couper Cornblum

Starting Pitching:
                  RHP - Jace Kaminska

Relief Pitching:
                  RHP - L.J. McDonough (who knows maybe L.J. gets a shot at a starting role).

I don't see any of these guys being dislodged although that is not impossible. But everything else is wide open for staking a claim for meaningful playing time IMO.

Comment

I think Kocis is back unless the money is too good to pass up. He has flourished under this staff.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      I think Kocis is back unless the money is too good to pass up. He has flourished under this staff.
                      I agree. He bought in and was a leader. He absolutely should do what's best for himself, but I won't be surprised if he returns.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        It's probably easier to list what returning players we can dependably write into the lineup next year.

Assuming both Kocis and Haase move on (not a 100% certainty) here is my list. Not a very long one:

C - Ross Cadena
                        2B - Jack Sigrist
                        OF - Couper Cornblum

Starting Pitching:
                        RHP - Jace Kaminska

Relief Pitching:

I don't see any of these guys being dislodged although that is not impossible. But everything else is wide open for staking a claim for meaningful playing time IMO.

Andrew Stewart is too easily dismissed.

Ryder Giles for ECU hit .216 and fielded .966 for a team that spent the entire season ranked and is hosting a regional this weekend.

Andrew Stewart fielded an INCREDIBLE .989 at the toughest position, making 2 errors there all season, and in addition made more than 1 exceptional game changing like defensive gem. He hit .201 (.220 in conference). Yes, we need more production there, but he was spectacular defensively, and not penning him in doesn't make sense for this program right now. He must at least be penciled in.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Ryder Giles for ECU hit .216 and fielded .966 for a team that spent the entire season ranked and is hosting a regional this weekend.

Andrew Stewart fielded an INCREDIBLE .989 at the toughest position, making 2 errors there all season, and in addition made more than 1 exceptional game changing like defensive gem. He hit .201 (.220 in conference). Yes, we need more production there, but he was spectacular defensively, and not penning him in doesn't make sense for this program right now. He must at least be penciled in.
                          Good point. We can afford one .215 hitter in the lineup if they can play elite defense and not strike out. Our depth off the bench will hopefully improve to the point we can pinch hit for him if needed with a better hitter.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Also: Stewart ended the year on an 7-game hitting streak and raised his average 50 points in May (He hit .267 with 9 RBI for the month). I'll be interested to see if that carries over to summer ball (he's back with Cheney).
                            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

C - Ross Cadena
                              2B - Jack Sigrist
                              OF - Couper Cornblum

Starting Pitching:
                              RHP - Jace Kaminska

Relief Pitching:

Seth Stroh is certainly someone I'd like to see back. Needs to cut back on the strikeouts, but he has good pop in his bat.

Comment

What happened to Cade Clemons this year? Was it a bad slump? I had high hopes for him after the COVID shortened season. I know his average was low, but he had some pop.
                                Last edited by wyatt; June 2, 2021, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X