Coach Show - Valentines Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Show - Valentines Day

Did anybody listen to the show? Was coach spreading alot of love on Valentines Day? Wasn't able to listen and it looks like it didn't get archived.

I wasn't prepared for it and caught a little somewhat by accident.

Yes, 10 was spreading the love...thick.

He seemed to be really high on one of the catchers, but again I was preoccupied. Could it have been the kid from Carroll?

Comment

Saw him on tv and he was talking about needing to play alot of people. It kind of irks me because he says this every year that if they aren't producing then they will play someone else. Never happens. Sometimes these guys are going "O" fer and they are still trying to hit their way out of a slump. Or if someone is stinking it up in the infield they are there the next game too. Loyalty is a good thing but you need to jump on another horse once in awhile just to see what it will do.

Comment

Wouldn't say never. Remember Jason Ficken (I think his 1st name was Jason), the starting 2b back in the 90's or so. He started off slow and some 140 lb Frosh named Hooper stepped up and took his spot. How about Bascue's SR season. He was buried early but made the most of the opportunities and had a great SR season. There are many examples of guys stepping up and taking a position.

When there are proven returners, Gene gives them the benefit of the doubt. If Coy goes 0-fer his first 3 games, I would hope he still starts the next three. (I happen to think Johnny will start fast and have a monster year).

Does he stay too long with guys somethimes, absolutely. Was Grimes frustrating to watch @ SS when he was kicking the ball around the IF, you bet he was but could we afford to do without his bat? However, when there are so many newbies, he does tend to play more guys. Sometimes that manifests itself with the LH/RH platoon early on. Sometimes one or the other hits well enough to take the position and sometimes the platoon sticks. Pinch hitters can also earn time with good AB's. I would guess that there will be a little more shuffling than usual this year.

As fans, we tend to have a pretty short time horizon. When somebody K's in a big situation, gives up a costly hit or walk, or has a crucial error, we want to get somebody else in there. It's kind of human nature to make the pain stop right now. Coach Marshall's caller asking about playing White more instead of Carl Hall is a great example. Carl struggled a bit and White had one good game. Marshall pointed out that he had watched them both at practice everyday and Hall had consistently outplayed White. Was that loyalty to Hall or is Coach Marshall simply going with the guy he believed gave us the best chance to win?

We have lots of question marks this year, we are picked 3rd in the mighty valley, and nobody expects us to do anything. Additionally, I haven't seen this much negativity about a sport on this board since reading the posts about the Men's basketball team after last year's MVC tourney loss. That was just 11 months ago and there were actually people suggesting that we fire HCGM.

The nice thing about low expectations is that they are low. Have a bad year and that's what you were expected to do. On the otherhand . . . maybe they will surprise us?

Comment

Gene is really high on Tyler Baker, a catcher who can also play other positions. He also expects great things from Gillaspie and freshman pitchers Gardner and Ladwig.

He expects a breakout year from Harbutz. He also said if Bayliff becomes 100% he will surprise a lot of people.

Starting pitchers this weekend: Smith, Mormann, and Minnis.

Comment

Working...
          X