Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-State vs WSU

WSU leads 3-1, B8.

Shocks wiggled out of bases loaded jam in the top of the 8th. Shockers scored all 3 run in the 3rd with help KSU error.

KSU record is 13-6, RPI 133.

Comment

WSU scores another run in a botched pickoff and rundown by K-State.

4-1 Shox

Comment

Final 5-1 Shox

Comment

I’m telling you I like Kaminska. Give him more innings.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            I’m telling you I like Kaminska. Give him more innings.
            Needs to get healthy and build stamina.

Comment

Jace Kaminska (5.0 innings), Ryan Stuempfig (2.2 innings) and Aaron Haase (1.1 innings) combined on the 6 hit (5 singles and a double), 4 walk + 1 HBP, 10 left on base (7 of those in scoring position), 1 unearned run effort.

Shocks numbers were pretty comparable to K-State's. The Shockers scored 3 runs in the 2nd on a hit batter, a single, a K-State error on a sac bunt, and a single. The Shocks 2 run 8th came on a walk, wild pitch, infield single, a throwing error on a pick off attempt, and a single.

So neither team was exactly bashing the baseball.

The key inning for the Shocks may have been the 8th. Suempfig loaded the bases with no outs on a walk, a single and a walk then struck out the next two batters. Aaron Hasse then came on to pitch and ended the KSU at bat with another stirke out.

Jace Kaminska picked up his 1st win as Shocker.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Jace Kaminska (5.0 innings), Ryan Stuempfig (2.2 innings) and Aaron Haase (1.1 innings) combined on the 6 hit (5 singles and a double), 4 walk + 1 HBP, 10 left on base (7 of those in scoring position), 1 unearned run effort.
                The Shox aren't where anyone wants them to be at this time. We aren't as good as we hoped. However, if Wedge can return the Shox to National prominence, it will be because of our pitching, and pitching depth. When we were really good, our starting rotation was as good as anyone in the nation. And, while dominant Freshmen pitchers like Pelfrey are a possibility, they aren't the norm. Gene used to get at least one Top Notch Freshman Pitching Recruit to come to Wichita State each year. I hope that Jace becomes that dominant pitcher.

As much as I like to watch hitters like Alec Bohm at Wichita State, those types of players aren't easy to recruit, and Pitchers are the foundation we need to build this team from the ground up.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

The Shox aren't where anyone wants them to be at this time. We aren't as good as we hoped. However, if Wedge can return the Shox to National prominence, it will be because of our pitching, and pitching depth. When we were really good, our starting rotation was as good as anyone in the nation. And, while dominant Freshmen pitchers like Pelfrey are a possibility, they aren't the norm. Gene used to get at least one Top Notch Freshman Pitching Recruit to come to Wichita State each year. I hope that Jace becomes that dominant pitcher.

As much as I like to watch hitters like Alec Bohm at Wichita State, those types of players aren't easy to recruit, and Pitchers are the foundation we need to build this team from the ground up.
                  Agreed. Pitching is and always has been the key in baseball. Even back in the pre-BBCOR bat days when the batters could use those old rocket launchers the Shocks generally had very good pitching. But the college baseball environment has changed a lot since those days and I wonder if a larger percentage of the top pitchers coming out of high school are opting for pro ball over the college route. The college baseball scholarship limits make it a tough sell to the top prospects -- both pitchers and position players.

Apparently, KSU had been on a roll hitting coming into this game so that makes Jace Kaminska's outing even more encouraging. But it will take more than one guy in the pitching arsenal to get back to national prominence (a much more difficult thing to do now than it was 20 years ago). Hard to believe it has now been 25 years since the Shocks last appearance in the College World Series. For now I would just like to make an appearance in the NCAA Tournament again. It has been 8 years since we did that.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 24, 2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

We need to healthy with our pitching. I said going into the year that I didn't feel like we matched up well with our Friday guys (in conference especially) but that the deeper the weekend gets, the better we would get. But I expected Jace (based on fall ball) to compete for the Friday/Saturday slot and then Hamilton for sure to be a mainstay. I figured on 4 solid starters and right now we have maybe 1.5. I do think there is potential for Josh and Jace to be guys we could count on late next month and May. Jace was good last night.

I'd feel a lot better about the back half of the weekend if we could count on Peters, Lindemann & Hamilton at some point, but that point seems a long way off, if at all.

Comment

[QUOTE=WuDrWu;n1291217]We need to healthy with our pitching. I said going into the year that I didn't feel like we matched up well with our Friday guys (in conference especially) but that the deeper the weekend gets, the better we would get. But I expected Jace (based on fall ball) to compete for the Friday/Saturday slot and then Hamilton for sure to be a mainstay. I figured on 4 solid starters and right now we have maybe 1.5. I do think there is potential for Josh and Jace to be guys we could count on late next month and May. Jace was good last night.

I think Jace deserves an opportunity to pitch in weekend rotation. He was dominant in the fall. He is comfortable as a starter vs a reliever i believe. We should only give 5th year guys so many chances before we move on.
                      Last edited by Coach K; March 26, 2021, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        I'd feel a lot better about the back half of the weekend if we could count on Peters, Lindemann & Hamilton at some point, but that point seems a long way off, if at all.
                        I take it that Jacob Lindemann must have showed something in fall ball that caught your fancy because he has yet to show much promise in actual games a Shocker. 23.1 innings of work spread over 22 appearances the last 3 seasons. An ERA of 5.02, a WHIP of 1.95 including 21 walks. On the other hand he also has 21 strike outs.

What did you see from him and where would he fit into the mix?

Comment

Omaha won't be a pushover this weekend. They've managed to take a game off every non-con opponent, and all solid teams. Creighton, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I take it that Jacob Lindemann must have showed something in fall ball that caught your fancy because he has yet to show much promise in actual games a Shocker. 23.1 innings of work spread over 22 appearances the last 3 seasons. An ERA of 5.02, a WHIP of 1.95 including 21 walks. On the other hand he also has 21 strike outs.

What did you see from him and where would he fit into the mix?
                            He's a 23 year old man, 6'3 and a good delivery and has had his arm fixed. He can pitch. He was nails in Florida in 19, getting the win in a pressure situation against USF in a must win game, then getting the save against top 20 ECU after leading 6-1 in the 9th, Haase gave up a homer and 2 hits, and Jacob comes in with runners everywhere and the game on the line and shuts them down. Did the same thing against UCONN in a loss. Kid was nails down there in huge moments.

Admittedly, a terribly small sample size. But I liked what I saw, but man does he have a hard time staying healthy. Really feel bad for him.

Comment

Working...
                            X