Don't underestimate this team...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't underestimate this team...

Yes, this team will be young- 11 frosh, 14 soph, 5 jrs, and 5 srs. They will play a different game than we've seen in the past. They are fast- and will bunt, steal, beat out grounders, take the extra base, advance from 1st to 3rd, and score from 1st on the double. Bunt and run, hit and run, rush a throw, draw a throw from the outfield, move runners up on the throw- they'll force their competition to make mistakes. They will get runners into scoring position. There is still enough power with Coy, Gillespie, and maybe Coonie to drive in runs. Less posting "0's" and more 1-2 run innings. The pitching staff is deep, and with all that speed, the defense will cover more ground and turn hits into outs. It's a team built for the surface they play on. Add Billy Hall and reading pitchers, and you have a formula for success- and success breeds confidence.

The thing that stands out in this group of freshmen is that WSU recruited some tough, nasty competitors. They will get down in the dirt and compete. They have a lot of heart, and there's no quit in 'em. In my opinion you can't have enough of these guys. Add them to Coonie, Minnis, and McGreevy and you have a good core for a great team chemistry.

It should be an exciting brand of baseball and be fun to watch. Speed kills- and it also wins lots of baseball games...

"You can't measure heart..."

Don't overestimate them either. A lot of unknowns. A huge hole left by the departure of Chris O'Brien. A hole that is unlikely to be filled anywhere close to full.

Question marks remain regarding the physical health of Bayliff, Harbutz, Mateychick and Beringer.

Beringer, Mateychick, McGreevey and Gillaspie are probably looking at some disciplinary action (or at least they should be). If it's my team these guys would be suspended for the first 12 games of the season -- that would take them through the series in Hawaii. That may be moot in Beringer's case due to the back injuries he sustained in the car accident. Based on fall ball Beringer looked like he was ready to become a key contributor. Unfortunate but self-inflicted.

Johnny Coy has great power but we need to be able to protect him and keep teams from simply pitching around him.

Hopefully, we will have enough pitching to carry the team to a successful season, but that remains to be seen.

Comment

Glad your not the coach 72
      First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by shock10 View Post
        Glad your not the coach 72
        You are a wise man.

Comment

I don't really see anything wrong in 72's post. In fact, he is spot on with everything.

This team has more to prove than to disprove.

And shock10, if your reaction was about 72's calling for suspensions, he is dead right about that. Just because players have WSU uniforms on don't mean they are immune to anything and are infallible in nature. They fudged up and they need to pay the price. If it means W's and L's early in the year, then so be it. That's the price you pay. Otherwise, what does that show the rest of the team about doing such actions? That it's ok, we'll just get a slap on the wrist and forget about it? UH, NO.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Not overestimating, just happy that we'll see something other than station to station, boring baseball- and runners at first with no outs that get stranded there.

As for suspensions, Mateychick is of legal drinking age and was the passenger. He wasn't doing anything illegal. McGreevy and Gillespie were in camp looking forward to the duck hunt in the morning. No proof that they were doing anything wrong. If Beringer was drinking and driving he deserves punishment, although he's paid a pretty big price already. WSU can't hand out suspensions due to what they perceive to be the situation, they can only act on what can be proven.

Comment

Originally posted by WSU Baseball Guy View Post
              Not overestimating, just happy that we'll see something other than station to station, boring baseball- and runners at first with no outs that get stranded there.

As for suspensions, Mateychick is of legal drinking age and was the passenger. He wasn't doing anything illegal. McGreevy and Gillespie were in camp looking forward to the duck hunt in the morning. No proof that they were doing anything wrong. If Beringer was drinking and driving he deserves punishment, although he's paid a pretty big price already. WSU can't hand out suspensions due to what they perceive to be the situation, they can only act on what can be proven.
              I agree with you that there is no need for suspensions for McGreevy or Gillespie and probably not for Mateychick either. Last I heard there is nothing wrong with going duck hunting.

Comment

I think the question was there any university/team rules broken regardless of what law enforcement charges are brought. If everybody was underage except one and there was alcohol involved - I wonder who bought the alchohol? The ducks because they figured they would have a better chance of escaping?

Comment

Originally posted by WSU Baseball Guy View Post
                  they can only act on what can be proven.
                  This isn't a court of law. The Coaches don't have to prove anything and they shouldn't have to. If these players have integrity they should come totally clean with the Coaches on what happened. If they don't have the integrity and strength of character to do that then why would you want them on your team. Furthermore it has nothing to do with what is legal or illegal, it is a matter of right and wrong. It has to do with team rules and policies and the expectations you have for your young men and it has to do with accepting responsibility for your actions. I realize that is asking a lot.

Mateychick was of legal age and no doubt bought the alcohol. Providing alcohol to minors and then getting into a car with one of them is WRONG any way you slice it. If any of the guys refused to drink and they can convince the coaches of that then I would ease up on the discipline for them, but the chances of that being the case are quite small. Furthermore, did McGreevey and Gillaspie try to disuage Beringer from getting in the vehicle? You do realize the two young men came within a gnat's eyelash of losing their lives. Thank goodness they did not injure or kill anyone else.

That said I understand that my opinion on this will be in the minority.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 5, 2012, 11:23 AM.

Comment

If, in fact, alcohol was not involved then I am totally off-base here. But from everything that has been reported that would not seem to be the case. If it is established that there was no alcohol involved then obviously no discipline is needed. It's possible I am assuming too much at this point.

Even if it is etablished that alcohol was involved and a factor I would not expect the discipline to be as severe as what I proposed so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 5, 2012, 09:45 AM.

Comment

We should have higher standards. The coaches can do anything they want. I trust ADES is involved in the matter and will be guiding the staff.

2 seasons Gene.

Comment

The discussion of potential punishment should be addressed in the other thread regarding this matter. Regarding the outlook of this season, unless we got 3 or 4 hitters who suddenly transformed into Connor G's and if our defense doesn't improve, we are in store for a low 30 win total and no tourney invite again. Based on the tradition, facilities and fan support the expectation of making the tourney every single year exists especially in the piss poor MVC. I will never waiver from this and yes, get pissed on 30 win seasons. What can I say, I've been spoiled.

Comment

I was pretty impressed with what I saw during fall ball. We will see if that pans out during the regular season.

I am looking forward to opening day, which is now just a little over a month away. I hope we have some really nice weather in March when we have a 20 game home stand.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                            I wonder who bought the alchohol? The ducks because they figured they would have a better chance of escaping?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Don't overestimate them either. A lot of unknowns. A huge hole left by the departure of Chris O'Brien. A hole that is unlikely to be filled anywhere close to full.
                              Maybe -- but keep in mind that O'B jumped from .291 / 1HR / 25RBI his junior season to .410 / 10HR / 70RBI his senior season.

Guys do work. Guys get better.

(I'm actually more worried about replacing his defense and ability to handle pitchers than I am about his offense.)

Go Shox!
                              “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Working...
                              X