NCAA to grant extra year for spring sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Here is my question. If I am an academic senior, who has enough hours to graduate in May with a credentialed degree, what classes am I going to take for 2 semesters? I would feel much better if I were a senior at UNC, because my academic adviser would certainly have a colorful and variety of classes I could take I'm sure.
    Another dilemma for seniors who are graduating this May is remaining academically eligible. They will either now have to declare another major or enroll in graduate school. A combination of these two things could lead some seniors to leaving WSU to pursue a professional career.

While the majority of WSU spring coaches told The Eagle that their seniors plan to return next spring, WSU track and field coach Steve Rainbolt said he had one example that is likely going to have to leave in senior Mason Buckmaster, a seven-foot high jumper and reigning conference champion.

“Mason was jumping better than ever before and he was looking to have a huge spring season for us,” Rainbolt said. “But he’s got a very nice job as an engineer already lined up in Fort Worth that he starts in July. So he’s not going to be able to compete anymore, at least not for Wichita State.”

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Here is my question. If I am an academic senior, who has enough hours to graduate in May with a credentialed degree, what classes am I going to take for 2 semesters? I would feel much better if I were a senior at UNC, because my academic adviser would certainly have a colorful and variety of classes I could take I'm sure.
      You are never forced to graduate, so you are welcome to take any class you want as long as they add up to the minimum credit hours required by the NCAA. Graduation has a minimum credit requirement, there's no maximum. But ... you should consider entering grad school because the credit hour minimum drops quite a bit. Also, one year graduate degrees are becoming popular -- so that's another thought.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Another dilemma for seniors who are graduating this May is remaining academically eligible. They will either now have to declare another major or enroll in graduate school. A combination of these two things could lead some seniors to leaving WSU to pursue a professional career.

While the majority of WSU spring coaches told The Eagle that their seniors plan to return next spring, WSU track and field coach Steve Rainbolt said he had one example that is likely going to have to leave in senior Mason Buckmaster, a seven-foot high jumper and reigning conference champion.

“Mason was jumping better than ever before and he was looking to have a huge spring season for us,” Rainbolt said. “But he’s got a very nice job as an engineer already lined up in Fort Worth that he starts in July. So he’s not going to be able to compete anymore, at least not for Wichita State.”

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy
        Or simply postpone your graduation. You aren't forced to graduate, just because you can.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how Wedge plays this out. Some of our Seniors may want to stay but the question remains, do they help the overall team move forward from a baseball standpoint? One or two of them may help from a leadership POV, or in a relief pitching role, in the short term, but from the long view, the log jam may cause more problems than it's worth. Some of them may be willing to not play and be on the team but I don't think that Wedge wants that. One thing for sure imo, is that Wedge won't allow a "cancer" to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
            It'll be interesting to see how Wedge plays this out. Some of our Seniors may want to stay but the question remains, do they help the overall team move forward from a baseball standpoint? One or two of them may help from a leadership POV, or in a relief pitching role, in the short term, but from the long view, the log jam may cause more problems than it's worth. Some of them may be willing to not play and be on the team but I don't think that Wedge wants that. One thing for sure imo, is that Wedge won't allow a "cancer" to develop.
            Well we had something like 5 unfilled positions to begin with didn't we? If so, these seniors are no different than graduate transfers from a "log jam" perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Well we had something like 5 unfilled positions to begin with didn't we? If so, these seniors are no different than graduate transfers from a "log jam" perspective.
              The logjam will be created because every player from Freshman to Senior gets an extra year of eligibility. It's not just the Seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

The logjam will be created because every player from Freshman to Senior gets an extra year of eligibility. It's not just the Seniors.
                Let me think this through ..

Current seniors become similar to grad transfer but really equivalent to Rseniors (1 year eligibility)
                Current juniors become seniors but equivalent to Rjuniors (2 years eligibility)
                Current sophomores become juniors but equivalent to Rsophomores (3 years eligibility)
                Current freshmen become sophomores but equivalent to Rfreshmen (4 years eligibility)
                Incoming freshmen are freshmen with 5 years to play 4

So the "logjam" is at the freshman/sophomore class. But with 5-ish unfilled roster spots, I think that puts WSU in an amazing situation, actually.

HCEW has made it clear he wants to win championships starting now. That removes any debate: You want the most skilled guys you can possibly have, as long as you can have them. A _proven_ senior is worth his weight in gold.

Ross Cadena for two more years?! HECK YA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

As Shockm said the logjam will be in the freshman class in terms of eligibility.

We had 9 freshman on the roster last year. They will return as freshman in terms of eligibility (assuming all do, in fact, come back and there could be some who don't). Add whatever incoming freshmen recruits to that number and as Wedge said you essentially have two freshman classes.

We had 5 seniors this year. Next year if they all come back we will have 5 seniors.

Shocker head softball coach Kristi Bredbenner has already signed an 8-player freshmen class and returns 6 freshmen form this past year. Sounds like all 3 of her seniors want to return and all 3 were very key players so she is not going to run them off. So she will have a 14-player freshman class in a sport that typically has a roster of around 20 players (that is the limit for the squad when they travel and the Shockers would have played their first 31 games of this season on the road -- the Shocker softball team only had 12 games out of 56 schedule at home this past season). Do you redshirt most of your incoming freshman and then just skip recruiting for one year? It is a challenge for the coaches.

Then you have the financial challenges which isn't helped by the fact the most, if not all, spring sports do not generate much in the way of revenue. Maybe baseball if it is successful.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 2, 2020, 01:28 PM.

Comment

A new article from The Athletic discusses the problem, along with where the money to support it will come from (a big issues for football schools who can't be entirely certain they will have a season):

https://theathletic.com/1720401/2020...eball-reeling/

“If there’s no college football this year,” says Bakich, “that’s kind of the doomsday scenario.”

And what does that doomsday scenario look like? You don’t want to know. But it entails budgets that could shrink dramatically. It involves drastically altered schedules and travel. It could potentially involve schools dropping out of Division I — or dividing Division I baseball into two tiers, much like football. Finally, there is the ultimate nightmare: Schools that will have no choice but to drop most, or possibly all, non-revenue sports — and yes, that includes baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      A new article from The Athletic discusses the problem, along with where the money to support it will come from (a big issues for football schools who can't be entirely certain they will have a season):

https://theathletic.com/1720401/2020...eball-reeling/
                      It's going to get interesting quickly...

Iowa State Coaches, Staff Take $4M in Pay Cuts Because of COVID-19

"Per Pollard, the changes were implemented in light of the $5 million shortfall the department encountered after the Big 12 and NCAA Division I men's basketball tournaments were canceled because of COVID-19."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...se-of-covid-19
                      Last edited by WstateU; April 3, 2020, 01:56 PM.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I don't understand the gloom and doom of financial impact here with these scholar/athletes. The actual cost to the university of additional classes is on paper only. The classroom and instructor are already there. They don't get paid more for each student. Room and board. I have no idea how they are paid/reimbursed for lodging but I'm sure there is university owned lodging that could be made available to these athletes. Do all sports have training tables? How much more does that amount to to provide for the 2nd year seniors that return. Womens tennis is the only head count sport in the spring and there were two seniors on the roster. It would be different if schools were being asked to provide scholarships for fbs football but a handful of spring sports should not cause more than a blip on the financial side of the athletic department. As I said the scholarship costs nothing except what the university assigns to it. If I'm way off base here i'm sure there are people out in SN land that will be happy to point out my flawed thinking. Go Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          I don't understand the gloom and doom of financial impact here with these scholar/athletes. The actual cost to the university of additional classes is on paper only. The classroom and instructor are already there. They don't get paid more for each student. Room and board. I have no idea how they are paid/reimbursed for lodging but I'm sure there is university owned lodging that could be made available to these athletes. Do all sports have training tables? How much more does that amount to to provide for the 2nd year seniors that return. Womens tennis is the only head count sport in the spring and there were two seniors on the roster. It would be different if schools were being asked to provide scholarships for fbs football but a handful of spring sports should not cause more than a blip on the financial side of the athletic department. As I said the scholarship costs nothing except what the university assigns to it. If I'm way off base here i'm sure there are people out in SN land that will be happy to point out my flawed thinking. Go Shocks
                          My understanding is that scholarships, room and board, etc. are real dollars transferred from a school's scholar athlete scholarship organization (ie. SASO) to the university.

WSU's issues will be far smaller than schools who rely heavily on football revenue, if fall sports are cancelled.

Comment

So the school could mitigate that loss by not making the transfer. It would seem that with the new President's theme to enhance the student experience at WSU that this would be a logical step to enhance the student/athlete experience.

Comment

Forgive me if I'm repeating what's been said earlier, I haven't read through everyone's notes. I'll just add what I have been told regarding the situation.

No promises that I heard correctly or completely understand what was conveyed to me.

Seniors will be granted an extra year at the same scholarship amount they previously received. For example if Alex Jackson was on 1/2 scholarship then he is allowed 1/2 for next year too. If all your seniors are walk ons then no extra scholarships can be offered.

Neither the roster number over 35 nor the scholarships in excess of 11.75 (or whatever the threshold is currently) will be affected by the returning seniors. So if all the seniors choose to return (they won't but for the sake of discussion) then the Shocks could have as many as 39 on the roster next year and (assume all were on half scholarship, they weren't but) be over 2.5 scholarships for next year.

I'm not sure how it affects years after that, but I was told it's going to take 4 years to clean up....whatever that meant.

The real mess is going to be the draft and how that unfolds with timing etc. Rosters have to be turned in, when is the draft taking place, how many rounds.....going to be lots of turmoil. I'm just guessing but given the uncertainty of professional games actually being played, it won't surprise me if a bunch of kids opt for school over pro this season, whether by choice or not. Both incoming freshmen and draft eligible college students.

Under a regular full draft, I suspect 4-7 eligible current roster guys could be taken (most if not all in late rounds) but now with everything as it is.....man, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                So the school could mitigate that loss by not making the transfer. It would seem that with the new President's theme to enhance the student experience at WSU that this would be a logical step to enhance the student/athlete experience.
                                I heard some from 810 on the issue and the P5 AD's were complaining that they missed out on the Million dollar payments from the NCAA Tourney. If football was affected, it would affect their pocketbooks by even more because no one would be going to see football, and maybe television monies would be affected. It may be that we are jumping the gun a little and predicting in April, what will happen in August/September. Treatments and testing are being enhanced right now and changes are happening by the day. If they check temperatures everyday before practice, and if treatments continue to be enhanced like hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine phosphate - shown below). It was reported by our former Kansas governor/doctor Dr. Jeff Colyer that doctors were prescribing these drugs to themselves and they were helping keep doctors/health care workers healthy while taking them. Most schools operate on quarters and I could see schools not beginning in August or beginning on line in August, and then picking up in November and having a shortened fall football season.

"Clinical trials are needed to provide scientific evidence that these treatments are effective," adds DHHS. To determine whether either drug may be effective against the virus, a number of studies are currently ongoing. At the University of Washington, for example, researchers are working to determine whether hydroxychloroquine can prevent transmission in people exposed to the virus.

"We currently don't know if hydroxychloroquine works, but we will learn in as short a timeframe as possible what the outcome is," said principal investigator Ruanne Barnabas, associate professor of global health in the University of Washington schools of Medicine and Public Health. The Centers for Disease Control and Preventions (CDC) adds that hydroxychloroquine is available by prescription only and may react with other drugs. As such, it should be used under the discretion of a doctor.

Similarly, chloroquine phosphate is only available in the U.S. by prescription for the treatment of malaria, according to the CDC. In recent weeks, several studies aimed at understanding the efficacy and safety of chloroquine found that there is "pre-clinical evidence of effectiveness and evidence of safety from long-term clinical use."

It's too early for the sky is falling P5 elite Athletic Directors to be throwing in the towel. Too many possibilities to make decisions this early.

Comment

Working...
                                X