No announcement yet.

Baseball: Wichita State vs Texas Southern - Feb 21-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Launch angles, calculators, actually practicing outside in the cold. Lots of very humorous comments, although also more than a little sad.

His talk about putting the staff together was great. I got the impression Wedge was not surprised to hear from Boatright and already had his affairs in order to give the answer he did. I got the impression he was surprised when Hibbs was chomping at the bit to join him in Wichita. The more I hear him talk about picking the 2 Mikes, the more confident I feel about it. I'm guessing that if we (or maybe just I) saw the list of finalists he was seriously considering, these aren't the 2 guys we/I would've picked as the on-paper dream team. But something about the Mikes convinced him over the rest of that list, and that is an encouraging thought.

I didn't think his comments on Wallace were particularly encouraging, with regard to recovery or otherwise.

He was (obviously) very pleased with the starting pitching this weekend. Didn't love Hamilton's walks but was OK with it cause it was A) the season opener and he was a little amped and occasionally overthrowing and B) they couldn't touch him. Was also (obviously) disappointed in the pen on Friday. One of the team goals is to reduce walks by HALF. They didn't get off to a very good start in that regard, and he's going to keep looking for guys that'll do that. Was also pleased with the fielding. Said a couple things needed cleaned up, but was pretty pleased with it.

We're going to try to cover the plate, get on base, apply pressure, and drive in runs. Thought they did a pretty good job of getting on base and applying some pressure this weekend. Need to work on coming through in key spots to convert.

He wasn't sure exactly how they were going to approach pitching rotation with midweek games. Said the focus would be on winning the weekend and then figure it out from there. Indicated he wants guys to know when they need to be ready. So he'll probably tell a guy "you're going to start on Tuesday, unless we need to use you in XYZ situation on the weekend." Might not have defined closer, setup, etc. but will have guys that need to be ready if things go haywire in the 2nd, guys that need to be ready for middle relief and guys that need to be ready in the 7/8/9th. I think he's going to feel this out, leaning on Pelfrey and Hibbs.

Some talk about pace of play, not needing a calculator to figure out the next pitch you're going to throw, and how that seemed to help the starting pitchers. Is also pleased with how Cadena has done calling games, given that very big change in direction.

I highly recommend listening to that show if you get a chance.

Comment

Wow. I was a HUGE advocate for Wedge coming back to WSU (please feel free to check my comment history) and this dude is delivering.

Honest question-- as a new parent myself, how could you not want your kid to be lead by that guy?! As a former Marine, I know a leader when I hear one, and I would go to war for that man... Incredibly impressive. Parents should be lining up to have Wedge coach their kids.

I'm excited for the future.

Comment

I don't know if anyone wasn't a huge fan of Wedge coming back to WSU. I think a lot of us thought it was such a pipe dream we dismissed it and moved on to supporting other viable candidates. It's certainly exciting. It may take some time. It may never work. But if it can work, he will make it work. And I don't know if he's in it for 20 years, but I do know he isn't trying to get something on his resume so he can take a job elsewhere.

One thing from the show I didn't mention was him talking about Pelfrey. Said Pelfrey had 2 dream jobs. One was to be a MLB starting pitcher. The other was to be the WSU pitching coach. Came back to WSU to finish his degree and get his foot in the door. Sounds like there were some things around that dedication that led to Pelfrey being retained.

Comment

As a novice, I liked when he said that allowing Cadena and the pitcher to call the shots, it puts the opponent's offense on defense. In football I am a massive fan of the no-huddle offense, and allowing the guys on the field to upset the defense by pushing the pace and keeping them confused. It feels to me like that's the same tactic in baseball when you allow the catcher and pitcher to call the shots and move in their own direction at their own pace.

It's not hard for me to imagine that over time an elite catcher knows each pitcher's abilities and limitations better than the pitchers themselves.

P.S. Unless the opponent has a guy in the tunnel watching the pitch-cam, banging on a trashcan.
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            As a novice, I liked when he said that allowing Cadena and the pitcher to call the shots, it puts the opponent's offense on defense. In football I am a massive fan of the no-huddle offense, and allowing the guys on the field to upset the defense by pushing the pace and keeping them confused. It feels to me like that's the same tactic in baseball when you allow the catcher and pitcher to call the shots and move in their own direction at their own pace.

It's not hard for me to imagine that over time an elite catcher knows each pitcher's abilities and limitations better than the pitchers themselves.

P.S. Unless the opponent has a guy in the tunnel watching the pitch-cam, banging on a trashcan.
            I agree that the catcher has a unique feel for the game, each pitcher, and each hitter. An intelligent catcher has a unique position where he can see better than anyone else, the weaknesses in a hitter's batting stance by where he stands in the box, etc. Because of how close he is to the action, what the catcher sees and feels, cannot be seen or felt as well by anyone else on the diamond including the coach, and even the pitcher. The catcher learns a pitchers strengths, and weaknesses, and can react to the pitcher each game because he knows if the pitcher is at his best or is he is struggling during that game (examples, his curve ball isn't breaking the way it usually does, his location is lacking, etc.) and help the pitcher by giving good targets, moving around the target up and down/ inside and outside, giving the pitcher confidence through his words, etc. Another aspect to the pitcher/catcher relationship, is that they have a feel for each other (when the pitcher shakes the catcher off, etc.). A good catcher has the respect of the pitcher and a respect for the pitcher because not all pitchers are equal, experienced enough, or ready to make their own decisions. Because of Wedge's experience behind the plate, he knows how to lead in this area and he obviously has confidence in Ross Cadena and his feel for the game.

I might add that this is more important in baseball than in football because in football, a quarterback has to know all of the blocking assignments which will change when there are blitzes and stunts from defensive backs, linebackers, etc. The coaches upstairs often hava better feel for what is happening, how the defense is lining up (angles for blocking, etc.) and how the defense is making adjustments imho.

Comment

We’re gonna sweep Texas Southern!!!!

*positive vibes*
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Forecast actually has improved for baseball. Tomorrow is doable and Saturday actually looks quite nice. I suspect they may try to squeeze in 2 Saturday because Sunday looks dreadful.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Forecast actually has improved for baseball. Tomorrow is doable and Saturday actually looks quite nice. I suspect they may try to squeeze in 2 Saturday because Sunday looks dreadful.
                  What time is the rain supposed to begin on Sunday?

Comment

I’m seeing 7-9 am

Comment

Looking forward to the game. Taking the cold weather golf gear to wear so I should be toasty. Looking forward to seeing SB and JJ at the game unless they wimp it out which would not surprise me at all since they are more delicate than I.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        We’re gonna sweep Texas Southern!!!!

*positive vibes*
                        That's the kind of positive attitude I like to see on this board.

Comment

Let's do it!! Go Shox!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            I’m seeing 7-9 am
                            Update today I presume? Wouldnt mind heading out tomorrow

Comment

The game is on for 3pm today for sure?
                              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                The game is on for 3pm today for sure?
                                Yes and they've changed to a DH starting at 1pm tomorrow. Both 9 innings tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X