Rule Change for This Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Change for This Season

Probably already covered, but it's so good that I wanted to mention it again.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a 20-second action rule that will be enforced before all pitches in the 2019-20 academic year.

My understanding is that it applies to both bases empty situations as well as when runners are on base.

The pitcher has 5 options to stop the clock:

1)Begin the windup motion
    2)Throw a pickoff to an occupied base
    3)Batter is granted time
    4)Step off the rubber
    5)Call timeout to talk to a fielder or catcher (these are limited in the game I believe)

1st violation the pitcher gets a warning. After that a ball is awarded in the count.

For the batter, a strike shall be awarded the count with no warnings.

Each team is allowed 3 offensive and 6 defensive conferences per game and no more than 3 may include a coach.

A pitching change is NOT a charged conference.

From Collegiate Baseball:

The Missouri Valley Conference proved nearly 30 years ago that utilizing a 20 second play clock can substantially reduce the time of games.

In 1989, the year prior to implementing the 2 year experiment, MVC games averaged 2:52 for 9 inning games.

During the 1990 and 1991 seasons, the league was allowed to experiment with a 20 second clock. In 1990 MVC games averaged 2:38 for 9 inning games. This included 105 conference games and the post season MVC tournament.

In 1991 games were reduced to 2:32 with the additional time savings due to players, coaches and umpires being more used to the change.

The average CWS game in the last 3 seasons has been between 3:19 - 3:33 per game.

Schools are not required to install clocks but can. If no clock, the umpire will keep the time on the field.

There was another comment about people leaving after the 6th or 7th inning so often, especially families and especially at night games. This is so true.

I loved the pitch clock for those 2 years. Thrilled to see it return. And hats of to Gene for being 30 years ahead of the curve in 1989. He was the catalyst for making this happen.

Not wild about stepping off the rubber stopping the clock unless there is a at least one runner on base. Doesn't seem necessary with the bases empty.

Comment

I think I'm missing something. If a pitcher must only step off the rubber to stop the clock, how does this speed him up?

For the record, I think batters are at least as much to blame for pace of play, though it usually gets placed only on the pitching team. I also generally think batters are granted time way too frequently and too close to the pitch being imminent. Hopefully putting a clock on the pitcher also means they will be a little less willing to grant time to a hitter 13 times in the same AB.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
        For the record, I think batters are at least as much to blame for pace of play, though it usually gets placed only on the pitching team.
        I agree that a lot batters screw around too much these days. They should also put a time limit on how long trips to the mound and conferences can last.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I agree that a lot batters screw around too much these days. They should also put a time limit on how long trips to the mound and conferences can last.
          But what if I gotta blow some kisses to the ladies in section 102, and dab a little while they try and phone cam the guns?
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

But what if I gotta blow some kisses to the ladies in section 102, and dab a little while they try and phone cam the guns?
            That's fine by me.

And watch out for high and in the ear.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

That's fine by me.

And watch out for high and in the ear.
              Was I supposed to know that was the pitcher's girlfriend winking at me?!?!
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Doesn't matter. Chicks dig the long ball.

Comment

Comment

Do what you must, but do it fast. If you're any good you should have few innings to spread that around. If you suck, no one wants your damn kisses or photo opp anyway.

Comment

I think limiting the visits, which isn't new but might be modified, will take care of most of this.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I think limiting the visits, which isn't new but might be modified, will take care of most of this.
                        Not that it is mandated but I'm hoping the Shocks getting back to the catchers calling the game will help Shockers games quite a bit. Seemed to at the fall world series game that I attended.

Comment

I agree, but I bet that those are going to be granted far less often. It sounds like if the pitcher is ready to throw, the batter better be ready too.

I submit that the "stepping off the rubber" will be addressed at the end of the season. No doubt it will need adjusting, but this is a very good start at least in my opinion.

Comment

Looks like she was doing more than that...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Looks like she was doing more than that...
                              Hand signals...
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X