Signings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signings?

All the emphasis has been on the Shocks' very successful basketball recruiting lately, but don't baseball players also have a fall signing period? A little publicity about them would be nice, too.

why? There is obviously nothing to see or there would be some pub.

Comment

SB always filled with anger, what a sour puss. For everybody else here is some info.

Brandon Peterson

Garrett Brummett

Tanner Kirk

Parker Zimmerman

Gage Matuszak

I can't find anything background on this kid other than out of Utah. I imagine there is a Sam Hall connection.

Blake Logan

Comment

I knew about the commitments, Ta -- in fact, I think there may have been even more than what you've listed.

The question, though, is who actually signed. For example, the link you gave about Brandon Peterson says in the story, "He plans to sign with WSU in November." So, come on, baseball office: did he? And who else did? Shocker Baseball tends be almost as low-profile about these things as basketball is high-profile, and I've never understood why. Are they really that afraid of letting the pros know in whom they're interested? If I remember correctly, MLB teams have plenty of scouts to find talent whether WSU issues a press release or not, so it's not exactly a case of letting the cat out of the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          I knew about the commitments, Ta -- in fact, I think there may have been even more than what you've listed.

The question, though, is who actually signed. For example, the link you gave about Brandon Peterson says in the story, "He plans to sign with WSU in November." So, come on, baseball office: did he? And who else did? Shocker Baseball tends be almost as low-profile about these things as basketball is high-profile, and I've never understood why. Are they really that afraid of letting the pros know in whom they're interested? If I remember correctly, MLB teams have plenty of scouts to find talent whether WSU issues a press release or not, so it's not exactly a case of letting the cat out of the bag.
          Nope just those 6 signed, more will sign in the spring.

Comment

Did we recruit Matuszak as a pitcher or first baseman or both?

Comment

That is a pretty good group of 6 signees. I liked the comments of Tanner Kirk in the Lincoln newspaper:

"Some of my buddies are already there — Taylor Doggett, A.J. Ladwig and Casey Gillaspie," Kirk said. All three are freshmen at Wichita State. Kirk played with Doggett at Southeast, while Ladwig is from Millard West and Gillaspie from Millard North. All played together in the summer.

"The coaches there are unbelievable and have been there forever. It's the place I wanted to go. It's all about baseball there and it's just like a family," Kirk said. "It's kind of close to home, you can drive there, it has nice facilities and it's just awesome."

Read more: http://journalstar.com/sports/high-s...#ixzz1eBVtDk47

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town View Post
                SB always filled with anger, what a sour puss. For everybody else here is some info.
                I'm not filled with anger, maybe indifference, but not anger. I would be happy to see my indifference proven wrong, but the program continues it decline and Gene himself has proven his own words prophetic.

"I think we took it as far as we could possibly take it. We want to do that here at the University of Oklahoma." -- Gene Stephenson
                If you look at ranking of WSU you continue to find they have relative high rankings (below is Collegiate baseball rankings - unfortunately they don't archive beyond that)

2010 - 24th
                2011 - 34th

Logically to me - if your program continue to get Top 25-30 recruits then you should be Top 25-30 program. So when you are not a top 25-30 program, but a top 60-80 then either the rthe coaches are not capable of using the talent they have or developing the talent.

Comment

I'd be curious to find out if the recruiting class rankings include the players who have signed with a school but then opted to sign a pro contract after being drafted. WSU seems to lose a prized recruit or 2 to the major leagues every season. That could drammatically lower our recruiting class rank if you remove those players. We tend to lose a decent number of underclassmen to the draft as well. Combine those factors with injuries, especially to our starting rotation and I can see how WSU might not live up to the expectations we have set for it based on based on past performance. A lot more schools are pouring money in to baseball and new stadiums and putting a bigger influence on recruiting as well. The names Gene Stephenson and WSU baseball may not carry the same weight they once did, but I don't doubt Gene's ability to coach or develop the players he's had in his program. I'm sure a lot of our former players owe a great deal of success to Gene and his staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                    I'd be curious to find out if the recruiting class rankings include the players who have signed with a school but then opted to sign a pro contract after being drafted. WSU seems to lose a prized recruit or 2 to the major leagues every season. That could drammatically lower our recruiting class rank if you remove those players. We tend to lose a decent number of underclassmen to the draft as well. Combine those factors with injuries, especially to our starting rotation and I can see how WSU might not live up to the expectations we have set for it based on based on past performance. A lot more schools are pouring money in to baseball and new stadiums and putting a bigger influence on recruiting as well. The names Gene Stephenson and WSU baseball may not carry the same weight they once did, but I don't doubt Gene's ability to coach or develop the players he's had in his program. I'm sure a lot of our former players owe a great deal of success to Gene and his staff.

What he said! +1

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                      I'd be curious to find out if the recruiting class rankings include the players who have signed with a school but then opted to sign a pro contract after being drafted.
                      Collegiate baseball rankings are done late in the fall, so I would assume that pro-signing have been accounted for.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        Did we recruit Matuszak as a pitcher or first baseman or both?
                        I have no clue on this one, I can't find jack on him.

Comment

Here ya go

Comment

Gage Matuszak was coached by Logan Sorenson's dad. Sounds like he will be a good one:

Comment

Matuszak has no connection to Sam Hall. He never was mentioned in anything having to do with Utah baseball. Maybe he'll surprise someone.

Comment

Working...
                              X