2019/2020 Coaching Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    This is like the Evan Wessel giving up his scholly discussion. On the surface, it's awesome for WSU. However, I don't think you can or should do that. Pay anyone their worth. If Coach Pelfrey can do the job, let him do it and pay the man. I don't care how much he's made. I feel like any other way opens the door for all kinds of problems. And I get what you're saying. I just don't think it's practical or right.
    Maybe Pelphray isn’t good enough to be one of the top two full time Assistants. Tough decisions.
    Last edited by Shockm; June 7, 2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      IDK I hope he is because Mike has shown he's all in for WSU. Eric will do what he believes is best for WSU.

• Shockm
      Shockm commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. It won’t be what’s best for Mike. Eric Wedge has the guts to do what’s best for the program.

Being efficient with the roster is splitting up the scholarships in the most effective way . . . maybe some will have the scholarship % decreased.

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      Check PM

Dizzle, have to disagree with you on Baseball Clemente. The man was a Hall of Famer!

Comment

• Dark Lord
      Dark Lord commented
      Editing a comment
      You have obviously not quite picked up on what he was talking about.

Originally posted by ABC View Post
    Being efficient with the roster is splitting up the scholarships in the most effective way . . . maybe some will have the scholarship % decreased.
    Could be some adjustments there. But my guess is that's not quite what he was getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Could be some adjustments there. But my guess is that's not quite what he was getting at.
      I was kind of thinking more along the lines of not over-recruiting as much as we have been doing. In any case, there are limits on what a coach can do. No more than 27 players on scholarship and a minimum one-third scholarship to any player getting a scholarship. IMO roster and shcolarship management is one of the more difficult challenges Coach Wedge will face and no doubt he will be leaning on Gene and Brent for advice in that area. But we will see.

Comment

If they are on partial scholarship they can still pursue academic assistance as well right or grants

Comment

I read an article out of Arkansas that mentioned HCTB getting fired and Dave VanHorn said he thought he should have gotten the last year. It wasn't terribly flattering towards WSU.
          Not surprising; Gene wasn't exactly Van Horn's biggest fan following the Charley Boyce debacle (although the Shocks could have avoided the whole problem by just winning the first final, as they probably would have but for Gene's stubborn loyalty to senior experience over raw but superior freshman talent, and his notoriously slow hook). And Van Horn is obviously a Butler fan.

Still, Butler's record, now at two schools, proves him to be a better assistant than head man. And as for Van Horn, he's had a fine career at Arkansas, and I'm sure his family and friends and fans like our pal Charlie are very happy with him -- plus, he did get the better of Gene in 2004. But as between him and Stephenson, there isn't the slightest question who ranks higher in the college baseball coaching pantheon; and I doubt that Van Horn could flip that around if he coached until he was 70. So let him be as disparaging as he wants, and maybe even take Butler back to do what TB does best, which is to be an assistant in a quality program.

Comment

Found the article Doc was mentioning.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• OregonShocker
              OregonShocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow. I've seen marriage vows that aren't as complimentary...

I knew Butler struggled, but "169-1801"... jeez, he was really bad.
            I knew Gene had a glowing record, but "1,837,675-1"... wow, he was really good.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              I knew Butler struggled, but "169-1801"... jeez, he was really bad.
              I knew Gene had a glowing record, but "1,837,675-1"... wow, he was really good.

That's Arkeeensaw math right there bubba...

Comment

• jdmee
                jdmee commented
                Editing a comment
                I wonder who the assistant coach was for the 200614 year.

HCEW is going to put together a spectacular staff.

Comment

• Shockm
                Shockm commented
                Editing a comment
                Got a PM for me Doc?

HCEW is going to put together a spectacular staff.
              Guess based on what you know about Wedge, or excitement based on rumblings?

I'm excited to hear who he selects. Trying to keep a very open mind about it.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                Check PM

Furthermore, Mike Pelphrey has made millions during his long major league career and if he has made good business decisions, he probably isn't coaching for the money.

He actually may need the money.. He went through thiis and also apparently got caught up with Bernie Madoff.

PORT ST. LUCIE — Johnny Damon and Xavier Nady of the Yankees have company when it comes to losing money in the Stanford Financial money scam: Mets pitcher Mike Pelfrey. Pelfrey admitted today…

Comment

• BOBB
                BOBB commented
                Editing a comment
                Around 70% of the invested funds have been recovered. Not including the fabricated gains. Also Pelfrey played like 8 years after this fell apart. He should be ok.

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              Found the article Doc was mentioning.
              Saw the article -- thanks, Kel.

I'll give Van Horn this: he's right that Gene did not leave WSU on good terms. And Doc was right in noting that Gene had a good bit to do with the poor circumstances of his departure. But if Butler is really all that as a coach and recruiter, shouldn't his "total rebuild" have produced a record above .500 in year SIX?

It does appear that he can recruit, at least in terms of numbers. As for coaching, though? Maybe not so much. In fact, his second best record -- and only other season above .500, apart from 2018 -- was built in part with the leftovers from the previous regime from which he needed to "totally rebuild;" and even then it was a number ol games worse than the previous year's 39-28 that helped usher Gene out the door. Hmmmm.

As I and others have said before, if Van Horn really believes what he says about Butler, the obvious choice would be to bring him back as an assistant at Arkansas (or as a consultant if no spot is open -- gotta use that SEC football money for something). To paraphrase another former Shocker, Bill Parcells, Butler's record says he isn't a very good head coach. But he's done really well as an assistant, so why not put him back at the level where he's shown he can excel. How about it, DVH?
              Last edited by WSUwatcher; June 12, 2019, 10:53 PM.

Comment

A name I'm not sure I've seen brought up much, if at all: Russ Morman.

He's a legacy guy with a heck of a 'hitting coach' resume. Not sure if he is still plugged in with the program or not. In fact, my google-fu is kinda failing for much recent info at all.

Player page for Russ Morman [1982-1999] with MLB, Minor, College and summer league baseball stats along with biography, draft info, salary,transactions,awards and more!

Obviously not a lot there says college coach. But the dude could hit the heck out of the ball, and given how long he was in AA and AAA ball as a hitting coach, I'm guessing he could teach hitting the ball, too.

Really, really curious what kind of pro/amateur, legacy/non-legacy, experience/youth mix Wedge decides on.

Comment

Working...
                X