2019 Summer Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Summer Baseball

Time to get this started, as the local leagues have kicked off already.

Big shakeup locally, as the Jayhawk League disintegrated after 45 years. Derby, El Dorado, Great Bend and Haysville joined the Sunflower Collegiate League; while Liberal, Hays and Dodge City opted for the Kansas Collegiate Baseball League (to cut travel costs, they're now the 3-team Jayhawk division of the KCBL facing a 7-team South-Central division). Those moves significantly bolster both leagues so there will be good baseball all over town this summer. The SCL will be playing $5 Tuesday doubleheaders in Eck Stadium throughout the summer beginning June 4.

Here are the SCL and KCBL players listed on rosters.

SUNFLOWER COLLEGIATE LEAGUE

Reece Koon - Cheney Diamond Dogs -- NBC TOURNAMENT

Quinton Albrecht - Derby Twins

Alex Jackson - Wichita Sluggers

Preston Snavely - El Dorado Broncos
    Preston Minor - El Dorado Broncos
    Cooper Elliot - El Dorado Broncos
    Jordan Boyer (postgrad) - El Dorado Broncos (left team)

KANSAS COLLEGIATE LEAGUE

Aaron Bechtel (Coffeyville CC) - Kansas Cannons -- NBC TOURNAMENT

Mateo Martinez (Possible 2019 recruit) - Park City Rangers

Tyson Cheatham - McPherson Pipeliners

Trevor Munsch -- Hays Larks -- NBC TOURNAMENT

CALIFORNIA COLLEGIATE

Ross Cadena -- Santa Barbara Foresters -- NBC TOURNAMENT

Jacob Katzfey -- Santa Barbara Foresters -- NBC TOURNAMENT

CAPE COD LEAGUE

Paxton Wallace -- Chatham Anglers
    Jake Hamilton -- Chatham Anglers

NEW ENGLAND COLLEGIATE LEAGUE

Brady Slavens -- Martha's Vineyard Sharks

Connery Peters -- Newport Gulls

Aaron Haase -- Upper Valley Nighthawks

COASTAL PLAIN LEAGUE

David VanVooren – Martinsville Mustangs (Not on the Mustangs roster)
    Jack Sigrist – Martinsville Mustangs
    Calvin Marley – Martinsville Mustangs
    Josh Killeen – Martinsville Mustangs

FLORIDA COLLEGIATE SUMMER LEAGUE

Ryan Stuempfig – Winter Park Diamond Dogs

TEXAS COLLEGIATE LEAGUE

Tristan McCraw – TBD

CENTEX COLLEGIATE BASEBALL LEAGUE

Seth Morrow -- San Antonio Angels -- NBC TOURNAMENT

MILE HIGH COLLEGIATE

Foster Gifford (Dodge City CC) -- Colorado Cyclones -- NBC TOURNAMENT

STILL KEEPING AN EYE OUT FOR ...

Tommy Barnhouse
    Liam Eddy
    Hunter Gibson
    Garrett Kocis (possibly still recovering from injury)
    Ryan Koval
    Jacob Lindemann
    Jake Owens (Johnson CC)
    Last edited by Wuzee; July 23, 2019, 02:23 PM.
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

For the casual fan I doubt any of the names are even recognizable. Oh how times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
      For the casual fan I doubt any of the names are even recognizable. Oh how times have changed.
      All of these names except Preston Minor, a reshirt sophomore, were freshman this year. Only Minor and Adam Stephenson saw any action this year and it was very limited and not very successful. How many will be on next year's roster remains to be seen.

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        Adam scored a huge run for us late in the season in Florida. Kid has a lot of speed, as do a bunch of our freshmen. They need to get on base first, but would love to see Shocks running all the time next spring.

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, I would love to see an aggressive use of speed in the Shocker's approach assuming we have it to bring it.

• Ricardo del Rio
        Ricardo del Rio commented
        Editing a comment
        Did someone mention speed?

Count me in.

Jack Brimacombe, good kid, great family. Hope he has a big summer and a great season at WSU next spring. Kind of surprised to see Reece Koon on a roster. Hope all those young men get a bunch of innings and figure out where the best spot is, for each of them.

Comment

I need to watch college ball more so I’m asking this question to bring me up to speed. Is the college game evolving to match mlb in that there is less emphasis on contact hitting and more power go for the long ball every time or is it the game I remember 7 years ago

Comment

• Awesome Sauce Malone
          Awesome Sauce Malone commented
          Editing a comment
          Well you cant hit the long ball if you dont make contact /shrug

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          The SEC is pretty much the alpha dog in baseball, and chicks do in fact dig the long ball. I think it's a little bit that way, but not as much as the MLB. Tough answer.

Nineteen Shockers to Play Summer Baseball

Here are the players that were not on Wuzee's initial list. Perhaps he can add these to his list. I like the way Wuzee has his list sorted by league and team.
        • Jack Sigrist – Martinsville Mustangs / @MvilleMustangs (Coastal Plain League)
        • Ryan Stuempfig – Winter Park Diamond Dogs / @FCSLDawgs (Florida League)
        • David VanVooren – Martinsville Mustangs / @MvilleMustangs (Coastal Plain League)
        • Josh Killeen – Martinsville Mustangs / @MvilleMustangs (Coastal Plain League)
        • Calvin Marley – Martinsville Mustangs / @MvilleMustangs (Coastal Plain League)
        • Tristan McCraw – Texas Collegiate League / TBA team
        Wuzee also has Seth Morrow on his list which is not on this list. Not sure if that is of any significance.

Additional players may be added to this list as the summer progresses.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 16, 2019, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• Wuzee
          Wuzee commented
          Editing a comment
          Updated ... with stats links.

Stumpy needs to figure it out. Too many tools. Sigrist is going to be a monster. Hoping VanVooren stays healthy and develops into the star he can be.

Comment

Very casual fan here, I recognize Paxton Wallace. I think I saw a previous article on him. Is the Elliot kid Terry Elliot’s son?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Very casual fan here, I recognize Paxton Wallace. I think I saw a previous article on him. Is the Elliot kid Terry Elliot’s son?
            Yes, that's Terry's son.

Comment

Any updates on how the guys are doing. Mainly just wanna know about Wallace, Katzfey, and Cadena.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                If you go to the thread opening post by Wuzee and click on the player's names you can see their summer stats.

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
              Are you talking players or leagues, Boston? It's definitely a new generation of players, despite the occasionally legacy name like Elliot.

But the summer baseball scene itself has also changed pretty dramatically since the days of the Victory League in Wichita (thus dating myself), the late, lamented Jayhawk League, and the days when there were several Shockers playing in Alaska every year. And what about the North Woods league, where guys would go to get bitten all summer by no-see-ums?

Comment

• BostonWu
                BostonWu commented
                Editing a comment
                Current WSU baseball roster

Wichita State Baseball‏Verified account @GoShockersBSB Jun 24
              .@GoShockersBSB Summer Update:

Brady Slavens: Hitting .257 w/9 H, 3 2B, 1 HR, 7 RBI, 4 BB & 3 SB for the @mvsharks

Ryan Stuempfig: 1-0 w/a 1.92 ERA in 3 starts for the @FCSLDawgs. Has given up just 3 ER in 14 IP w/14 SO

Aaron Haase: Leads the @UVNighthawks with 12 SO in 6.2 IP & has 2 SV

Connery Peters has a 2.87 ERA in 3 starts with 19 SO in 15.2 IP for the @NewportGulls

Cooper Elliot: Hitting .267 w/12 H, 2 3B, 7 RBI, 7 BB & 4 SB for @ElDoradoBroncos

Comment

Just a mid-summer update on the guys having decent summer seasons:
                • Cooper Elliott (Eld Broncos) is having the best summer of any position player. He's hit in 9 of the last 10 games and is carrying a .319 average with 2 HR and 14 RBI through 25 games.
                • Adam Stephenson (Eld Broncos) is 3-0 in 6 starts with a 4.05 ERA. He's coming off a complete game 3-hitter in a 3-2 win over the Wichita Sluggers.
                • Preston Minor (Eld Broncos) is 1-0 with a 3.32 ERA in 21.2 innings of middle relief.
                • Tyson Cheatham (McPherson Pipeliners), an incoming freshman, joined the Pipeliners in at the end of June. In 5 games he's hitting .250 with a homer and 7 RBI.
                • Paxton Wallace (Chatham Anglers) survived an early season slump and has raised his average to .257.
                • Aaron Haase (Upper Valley Nighthawks) has looked good in relief with 5 saves and 21 strikeouts in 11.2 innings.
                • Ryan Stuempfig (Winter Park Diamond Dogs) is 3-0 with a 2.63 ERA in 5 starts. He was selected to start the Florida Collegiate Baseball League All-Star Game.
                • Josh Kileen (Martinsville Mustangs) is hitting .306 with a homer and 9 RBI in 49 ABs as a backup catcher for the Mustangs.
                • Jack Sigrist (Martinsville Mustangs) is hitting .258 and leads the team with 13 SB in 93 ABs.
                • Brady Slavens (Marthas Vinyard Sharks) is at .263 with a homer and 12 RBI in 57 ABs.
                • Ross Cadena (SB Forresters) is hitting .250 with 2 HRs and 12 RBI in 68 ABs.
                • Jacob Katzfey (SB Forresters) is hitting .273 with 11 RBI. (I thought I read that he's not coming back, but I'll leave him on until we have confirmation).
                Also -- Alex Jackson has joined the Wichita Sluggers, but hasn't played yet. Preston Snavely has joined the Broncos and is 1-1 in his first two starts. I would expect to see a few more of the outliers pop up as we approach NBC Tournament time.
                Last edited by Wuzee; July 15, 2019, 09:54 AM.
                “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Wichita State Baseball‏ @GoShockersBSB Jul 12

WSU Summer update:

Position Players:

Brady Slavens: .292 avg. w/19 H, 6 2B, 2 HR, 14 RBI, 7 BB, 4 SB in 17 G for @mvsharks (Hit .218 in 2019 as a freshman)

Paxton Wallace: .263 avg. w/10 H, 3 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 8 BB in 20 G for @ChathamAnglers (Hit .256 in 2019 as a sophomore)

Jacob Katzfey: .284 avg. w/19 H, 2 2B, 8 RBI, 7 SB in 18 G for @SBForesters (Hit .276 in 2019 as a junior)

Ross Cadena: .278 avg. w/20 H, 5 2B, 2 HR, 12 RBI, 8 BB, 1 SB in 23 G for @SBForesters (Hit .248 in 2019 as a sophomore)

Cooper Elliot: .351 avg. w/33 H, 4 2B, 2 3B, 3 HR, 16 RBI, 14 BB, 11 SB in 26 G for @ElDoradoBroncos (Freshman redshirt in 2019)

Jack Sigrist: .258 avg. w/25 H, 3 2B, 11 RBI, 14 BB, 13 SB in 28 G for @MVilleMustangs (Hit .272 in 2019 as a freshman)

Josh Killeen: .306 avg. w/15 H, 4 2B, 1 HR, 9 RBI, 8 BB, 1 SB in 16 G for @MVilleMustangs (Freshman redshirt in 2019)

Pitchers:

Adam Stephenson: 3-0 w/a 4.05 ERA & 35 K in 33.1 IP (2 CG) & 6 starts for @ElDoradoBroncos (11.57 ERA in only 4.2 innings in 2019 as a freshman)

Aaron Haase: 2-0 w/a 3.46 ERA & 5 SV, 24 K in 13 IP & 11 G for @UVNighthawks (4.68 ERA in 32.2 innings in 2019 as a freshman)

Ryan Stuempfig: 3-0 w/a 2.25 ERA & 24 K in 28 IP & 6 starts for @FCSLDawgs (6.97 ERA in 20.2 innings in 2019 as a redshirt freshman)

The only guy not performing at or above his numbers for the Shocks this past season is Jack Sigrist. Difficult to know how the level of competition compares to the schedule the Shocks played in 2019.

The 3 pitchers have struck out 51 and walked 20 in these games for a 2.55 strike out to walk ratio.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 15, 2019, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I see you Cooper Elliot! (Although the SCL site has him at .316 through 32 games, so the WSU Baseball tweet likely transposed the last two numbers).

Middle infield is going to be a war this fall.

El Dorado plays at the Eck tomorrow. 8 p.m. start.
                    Last edited by Wuzee; July 15, 2019, 02:38 PM.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Working...
                    X