Shocks at UConn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks at UConn

Really hard to say for sure what is going through the Shocker players' minds at this point. But things definitely are not going well. The Shocks have 11 games left in the regular season, 8 of which are on the road (where the Shocks are 3-12 on the season) and the 3 home games are against ECU, the class of the AAC this year. Maybe the Shocks can start playing better but at this point there are no signs of that happening. After the loss to K-State the Shockers RPI is now 120th, worst in the AAC.

The 3 remaining AAC opponents include UConn who is 5-5 (including 3 losses to ECU) in its last 10 games, ECU who is 8-2 and USF who is 7-3. The Shocks are 2-8 over their last 10 games during which the have given up an average of 7.7 runs per game and have scored 4.1 runs per game.

I would expect UConn will be highly motivated this weekend considering they have the 2nd best RPI ranking in the AAC at #25 despite being sub-500 in the AAC at 7-8. In addition to the Shockers, UConn has series remaining at home against USF and on the road at Tulane. Despite the strong RPI I would think UConn would feel some urgency to polish up that AAC record for NCAA at-large purposes. If they close strong they should be in pretty good shape. If not they could be on the outside looking in.

In AAC play UConn has a team ERA of 3.16 which is 2nd in the AAC but they are only hitting .241 (8th in the AAC) with a .370 slugging percentage (7th in the AAC). The Shocks have a 7.16 team ERA in AAC play (last in the league) and are hitting .271 (4th in the league) with a .391 slugging percentage (5th in the AAC). I don't think those numbers, especially the pitching comparison, bodes very well for the Shocks. I guess we'll see.

The Shocks currently are 1-game up on last place USF. USF is at Memphis this weekend. At this point missing the AAC Tournament is in play for the Shocks.

I'll interject an yogi-ism here, "it ain't over till it's over"; I'm afraid it's over... :(

"Guess it's over, call it a day
    Sorry that it had to end this way
    No reason to pretend
    We knew it had to end some day, this way
    Yes, it's over..."
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Weekend Series at UConn Altered

Due to anticipated rain throughout the day Sunday, May 5, in Storrs, Conn., the Wichita State vs. UConn baseball series schedule has been altered.

The two teams will now play a doubleheader starting at 11:30 a.m. CT (12:30 p.m. ET) Saturday, May 4, at Dunkin' Donuts Park in Hartford. There will be no game Sunday.

The series opener is still scheduled for a 5 p.m. CT (6 p.m. ET) first pitch Friday, May 3, at Dunkin' Donuts Park.

Comment

I'll be at the game tonight. Y'all want me to make a #FireButler sign?

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
          I’ll seriously venmo $20 to you for your troubles if you do.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
            Or we could go the freebie route, and every time you see Butler on the field start chanting "Hoooooooper". Unless you can get in the press box and get on the PA, then just whisper "Hooooper" over the PA.
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

wsu loses 4-0.

Comment

The team is 2 and 13 in the last 15 games. Have they packed it in knowing they're playing for a dead man walking?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  wsu loses 4-0.
                  Not totally unexpected with the Shocks facing one of the top pitchers in the league in left Mason Feole. Shocks only managed 3 hits. Liam Eddy actually had a quality start allowing 3 runs over 6 innings. I'm not sure what UConn has behind Feole but we'll find out tomorrow. UConn appears to only a so-so offensive team.

In any case, the Shocks have now lost 13 of their last 15. USF leads Memphis 9-7 into the 8th in Memphis. If USF holds on the Shocks will fall into a last place tie in the AAC with the Bulls at 5-11.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    USF did, in fact, hold on to beat Memphis by a 10-7 final score.

Seriously where did Doc and DSB go? Do they not care anymore either?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

shox almost win game 2, and push through for big win in game 3.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Seriously where did Doc and DSB go? Do they not care anymore either?
                      Must be trying to sell the ouija board and large koolaid vats to some poor gullible fool. Good grief, the rose colored glasses viewpoints and Butler accolades should have stopped 4 years ago.
                      Last edited by Veritas; May 4, 2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Shocks for the most part pitched pretty well in this series although UConn is not a strong offensive team. The Shocks also outscored UConn 13-11 in the series. Unfortunately they still managed to lose the series.

Out of the frying pan into the fire next weekend with ECU coming to town.

​​​

Comment

Working...
                        X