Sunflower jumps in on the coffin prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunflower jumps in on the coffin prep

No big surprise to anybody who goes to games.

"Based on ticket scan averages, Wichita State has averaged no more than 689 fans per game in a season — which would fill just 8% of the stadium’s capacity — in the last three seasons. This year’s 412-person average would fill just 5 % of the stadium’s capacity."

Wichita State hasn’t sold out Eck Stadium in years. In 24 home games this season, Wichita State has filled just 5 % of Eck Stadium’s 8,153-person capacity. Information obtained by The Sunflower this week indicates ticket scan numbers, which would reflect real attendance, represent just 26 % of Wichita State’s reported attendance numbers this season....

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

"Wilkins identified weather as a leading factor to the lagging scan numbers. Televised games were also considered a factor, he said."

LOL

Weather certainly plays a factor in actual attendance, but I hope they really aren't trying to delude themselves into thinking that its the real reason nobody is showing up.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

In addition to a new coaching staff that will hopefully revitalize the program, it would be wise IMHO to knock ticket and concession prices down. GA should be $5 at most and include the hill. Make the upper part of the chairback seats $6 and $8, and the field box seats $10. Follow what the Atlanta Falcons did and lower concession prices. While the increase in total sales may not offset enough to balance out the lower revenue per item, the value of a happier customer outweighs that.

Since this makes sense, none of it will likely happen.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
      "Wilkins identified weather as a leading factor to the lagging scan numbers. Televised games were also considered a factor, he said."

LOL

Weather certainly plays a factor in actual attendance, but I hope they really aren't trying to delude themselves into thinking that its the real reason nobody is showing up.
      I’ll double that LOL to an LMFAO.

Do we have to sugarcoat everything or is our athletic department really that stupid? Having a perennial loser coming off an era of perennial winning probably has affected attendance, wouldn’t you say Russ?

Just pathetic excuse making. So it’s got the attention of the athletic department eh? Yah, you can really tell how much they care after doing nothing about it the last few seasons.

Remember people complaining about the early 2010 years? lol Boy, be careful what you wish for.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
        In addition to a new coaching staff that will hopefully revitalize the program, it would be wise IMHO to knock ticket and concession prices down. GA should be $5 at most and include the hill. Make the upper part of the chairback seats $6 and $8, and the field box seats $10. Follow what the Atlanta Falcons did and lower concession prices. While the increase in total sales may not offset enough to balance out the lower revenue per item, the value of a happier customer outweighs that.

Makes way too much sense.

Slashing prices? LOL. Not a chance with this athletic department. They’re in the mindset that they’d rather have 50 people paying $5 for hot dogs rather than 1500 paying $2 for them.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

I agree with this approach. I would make all the upper chairback seats no more than $7. Otherwise someone would just buy the $6 tickets and sit where they like anyway. I might even be more aggressive with the ticket pricing. $5 for general admission which would be every thing except the field level (blue) box seats. Price those at $8. Of course, if we ever did host post-season play again than you can raise your prices for those events.

Maybe get rid of the aluminum seating down the right filed line. We probably don't need the extra capacity and i have never thought those seats fit aesthetically.

No doubt our weather is a factor for me and having so many games televised no doubt has an effect on attendance. That just makes it even more important to have a highly competitive product on the field and pricing that can entice fans to deal with the weather and/or decide to show at the park over showing up in their living room easy chair.

Comment

people aren’t going to pay to see bad baseball. basketball yes, but baseball no.

Comment

Well I mean the ticket guy can’t exactly come out and say “our attendance is in the crapper because we have a empty suit of a coach about to be shitcanned”.

He openly admitted the gap between paid and actual was awful.

Comment

That is actually a very good investigative article for sunflower. Kudo for them getting hold of the real data. It clearly shows how there is people who want to support the program (season ticket sales), but refuse to invest their time on substandard product on the field.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How many of those season tickets are being sold to high level donors as a way to improve or maintain their men's basketball seating? And yes that kind of thing does happen.

• abdullah_sharif
                  abdullah_sharif commented
                  Editing a comment
                  happens all the time 1972.. look at non-basketball priority schools within the power 5.. they play to dungeons until football is over. i'm not sure how much this occurs at wichita, but it a thousand or so doesn't sound out of the question.

Do they even have ushers at the games anymore?

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, the seat Nazi's... those were the days my friends.

I'm pretty sure that the SASO board helps or gives consent to ticket prices in basketball. Does that pertain to baseball too? If so, they have to look at it a year at a time. I know that basketball ticket prices are going to go up (not sure how much) and that decision is going to be made in the next month or so and I think that SASO officials are involved in that.

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
                  Editing a comment
                  when i was on the board, baseball pricing never came up. iirc, there was a basketball committee that determined the scholarship $ need and worked it into the saso dues owed per seat by giving level.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                I'm pretty sure that the SASO board helps or gives consent to ticket prices in basketball. Does that pertain to baseball too? If so, they have to look at it a year at a time. I know that basketball ticket prices are going to go up (not sure how much) and that decision is going to be made in the next month or so and I think that SASO officials are involved in that.
                Interesting, I hadn't though about it in that light - but what I'm hearing you implying is the weak baseball program maybe requiring SASO to raise basketball ticket prices more to offset loss of revenue on the baseball side.

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks like basketball will be picking up another $100K tab, but we can easily make that up by charging an extra .63 cents per ticket, per game. Disclaimer: @WstateU's ole math proficiency ain't what she used to be...

After students reject more fees, WSU cuts $1.5M per year to pay for Business building

"Instead, the funds will come from budget cuts and reallocations. The university estimates $300,000 will come from the School of Business, $675,000 from areas within the Division of Academic Affairs, $200,000 from the Office of Research and Technology Transfer, $275,000 from other divisions and $100,000 from Athletics."

https://media.giphy.com/media/cIbh9m...ZENM/giphy.gif

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some more math.

The March referendum was the highest voter turnout ever, at 28.4 percent, for students at the university. They rejected the plan with 51.5 percent voting against raising student fees.

So the referendum was rejected by 14.6% of students (28.4% x 51.5%) and look at what it has wrought. Nice.

Again I wonder if Provost Richard Muma is a candidate to succeed President Bardo. I don't know much about him but the based on the small amount of limelight he has had since Dr. Bardo's passing I get the feeling he is on board with Dr. Bardo's vision.,

• abdullah_sharif
                  Editing a comment
                  i hope dr bardo's ghost is chilling in his old office waiting for the poor bastard that is going to take his place (like john wooden). he had vision and while he may not have always been right, he proceeded with high conviction and admitted his mistakes. textbook leader.

wooden on the other hand was a west coast mafia leader... cheated for years.

I was only showing that a group of people make money/ticket pricing which includes SASO fees which includes monthly payments to all athletes. Whether baseball pricing is related to basketball I have no idea but some of the wealthier athletic donors have wanted the WSU community to pay more of their fair share. This has been increasing since the 90s.

Comment

I want to see an investigation into "The Throwaway Year".

T

...:cool:

Comment

Well, my $0.02 is that TV coverage has nothing to do with attendance suckage. Baseball is significantly better in person as compared to basketball, IMHO. Staying home and watching a well produced broadcast of shocker hoops instead of fighting the crowd is sometimes tempting. There is no comparison between being at a live baseball game vs. watching a usually boring production on tv. Regardless. Anyway you cut it the numbers suck. Turn the page already!

Comment

Working...
                    X