No announcement yet.

Shocks Host Memphis to start AAC play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering that too, seemed like a very quick hook. Glad to start 2-0 in conference play. I fear if the team does too good though, ADDB might decide to keep Butler

Comment

ShockerFever I was unable to make it to today’s game but at last night’s game, I think I heard Fever shout at Boatright, “Hey Boatright, there are more hotdogs here than fans.” Go Shox!
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Walters has been pretty solid 2 nights in a row. 3 total innings, 5 Ks, 1 soft single, no walks, no runs. 36 total pitches so he's probably got enough in the tank for a bit tomorrow if needed.

The rest of the pen should be fresh.....hope that's a good thing. Shane didn't say who starts tomorrow. I suppose it could be just about anyone, but have to think it's probably Eddy, maybe Clayton or possibly Stumpy.

This Memphis staff is quite the opposite of WSU. They don't have great stuff, but they throw strikes. The staff has almost a 3-1 K/BB ratio. The Shocks have done a nice job of being ready to hit and not being late. Better game today and doing what they need to do at home. They aren't splitting the atom, but I'll take doing what you're supposed to for a change.

Comment

Ross Cadena is heating up a bit (finally). The sophomore from Texas is 11 for his last 23, .478. It feels like our top 5 guys, Boyer, Gibson, Ritter, Wallace and O'Brien are pretty solid at the dish. If Cadena can become consistent and be the 6th guy then we should be able to piece together the rest of it based on match ups and who is playing better. Still think we've got to get Brady in there more often than not, if not every day.

Comment

Shocks and Memphis tied at 3-3 into the 7th inning. I like the Shocks chances to pull out the sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Shocks and Memphis tied at 3-3 into the 7th inning. I like the Shocks chances to pull out the sweep.
              I guess my confidence in the Shocks was misplaced. Actually my optimism was based more the quality of the Memphis team than on the dominance of the Shocks. Perhaps this loss is on me for putting the jinx in play.

In the Memphis 9th a single up the middle off of Aaron Haase to open the inning triggered a pitching change to Connery Peters. A single to left and and infield single loaded the bases for Memphis. A 4th consecutive single, this one through the right side plated 2 runs from Memphis. Leaving runners at 1st and 3rd still with no outs. Memphis was able to push one more run across to take a 6-3 lead in to the bottom of the 9th.

The Shocks had the heart of the order up with Boyer, Gibson, Ritter and O'Brien but only Gibson reached base after being hit by a pitch.

The Shocks only managed 5 hits today with Luke Ritter's 2 run home run in the 4th being the only extra base hit.

Shocks get the series win but the sweep was there for the taking. I guess a lot of credit goes to the Memphis pitchers, especially their 4 relievers who combined for 4.1 innings of scoreless, hitless baseball to keep the Shocks at bay.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                Very disappointing day. Everything set up for a good solid start to league play. But we fell back into so many of the same mistakes that have plagued this team so far. Misplayed a fly ball into a triple, fell behind all day, didn't compete well at the plate. Left the bases loaded twice late. Too many walks. Stayed with Clayton too long.

Cincy won 2 of 3 at USF. The only good thing is we own the tiebreaker over Memphis if it comes down to that.

• DUShock
                DUShock commented
                Editing a comment
                I was only able to see Friday and Sunday's game but listened and followed Shockerstats for Saturday. Yesterday was an opportunity squandered. On too UNO.

Go Shox!

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hopefully, it doesn't come down to a tiebreaker with Memphis to see who gets left out of the AAC Tournament but it was close last year.

For the 2nd consecutive game the baseball Shocks play at the same time as the basketball Shocks in the NIT. If the baseball team has to lose against Omaha in order for the Shocks to beat Indiana in the NIT I will happily live with that outcome. Not sure the baseball Shocks will have much a home field advantage.

Omaha is 14-5-1 this year having played USC (1-2), Seattle (2-2), Savannah State (1-1-1), Santa Clara (4-0), North Dakota State (3-0) and Purdue-Fort Wayne (3-0).

Omaha does have the advantage of having only 1 midweek game while the Shocks will have to spread their pitching over 2 games as they host K-State on Wednesday.

Comment

Listening to Shocker basketball while watching Shocker baseball is a nice day. Go Shocks!
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Working...
                X