Shocks Host Oral Roberts -- Tuesday March 12th at 1PM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks Host Oral Roberts -- Tuesday March 12th at 1PM

First pitch has been moved up to 1 p.m. for the Oral Roberts game tomorrow, Tuesday, March 12that Eck Stadium. According to the athletic department's email: "This start time will be pending weather, as we expect severe thunderstorm’s starting in the evening of March 12th. If weather comes in earlier than expected, we will send out another email confirming the cancellation of the game. Be sure to follow Wichita State baseball on Twitter at @GoShockersBSB for the most up-to-date information."

The next series, which I look forward to attending, is Friday, March 16th at 6pm vs Rhode Island.

Go Shocks!

Shocker (5-9) Stats: https://goshockers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=BSB

ORU (6-6) Stats: http://www.oruathletics.com/sports/b...ms/oralroberts
    Last edited by DUShock; March 11, 2019, 03:58 PM.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

I think it's pretty safe to say todays game will be cancelled

Comment

The usual late winter/early spring weather issues. Fortunately it appears once this weather is out sometime tomorrow, we'll have a blustery Thursday then the weekend looks dynamite.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure about dynamite on an absolute basis, but on a relative basis Saturday and Sunday look pretty good. Primarily because the winds will be sub-10 mph.

Freshman Aaron Haase got the start against ORU. He gave up a lead off single but that was erased on a double play. After walking the next 2 batters he got a strike out to get out of the inning unscathed. In the 2nd a single, stirkeout, single and a walk loaded the bases with 1 out and that was it for Haase. Clayton Mcginness came on in relief. A fielder;s choice grounder to 2nd scored a run After another walk reloaded the bases Clayton got a strike out to end the inning. Shocks probably a bit lucky to only be down 1-0 at that point.

An ORU solo home run down the line in right field makes it 2-0 in the top of the 3rd.

In the 1st a walk and a hit batter put runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out and in the 2nd Brady Slavens lead off with a single but the Shocks couldn't do anything with those opportunities. Jacob Katzfey was hit by a pitch to open the 3rd. ORU had Jacob picked off but he managed to escape the run down and scrambled back to 1st safely. Which would proved to be big. Jordan Boyer followed with a single moving Jacob to 3rd. Hunter Gibson double off the wall in center to score Jacob and move Jordan to 3rd. Luke delivered Jordan to the plate with a sac fly to tie it up at 2-2. Still only 1 out with Gibson still on 2nd. After Mason O'Brien is called out on strikes, Paxton Wallace beats a grounder to the hole at short to put runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs. Paxton advanced to 2nd on a wild pitch. Bringing Brady Slavens up. Brady Slavens slashed a sharp single to left to score both runners and the Shockers lead 4-2. Nice rally by the Shocks.

This Brady Slavens kid looks like a keeper to me.

Connery Peters on to start the 4th on the mound. Looks like we are in for a Johnny Wholestaff approach to this game with no going more than a couple of innings. But we'll see.

David VanVooren ends the 4th with and outstanding defensive play running down a foul ball and reaching well over the ORU bullpen wall down the left field line to make the catch. Just excellent stuff.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 12, 2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Predetermined split today. Haase couldn't throw a strike (4 pitch walk to the #9 guy who came in striking out 18 of 41 at bats) then 2-0 on the leadoff guy and that was enough. Clayton did a nice job of limiting the damage. This ORU team has a lot of power.

Slavens needs to be in the lineup every day. I think Vanvooren should too, but health is a bit of an issue there so far. Those 2 have a truckload of talent.

So far Haase was not good, Clayton ok, and Peters has been nice. Nobody going more than 2.

Comment

Miller Pleimann in to pitch in the 5th. 3 more outs and the Shocks maintaining the lead and we have an official game.

Comment

They are playing at the Eck?? Wow. Must not have stormed much up that way

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              It rained like hell here. The drainage is really good at the Eck. But it rained a ton here.

Jordan and Luke are really swinging the bats well.

Comment

Easy to see why Brady Slavens was the #1 ranked player in Kansas.

Luke Ritter's lead off double to the left field corner and Brady Slavens' 2-out ground rule double to right field (maybe misplayed a bit by the right fielder but he was playing Slavens very shallow) produces a 5th run for the Shocks. After a David VanVooren walk Ross Cadena unloads his first homer of the year to left field and the Shocks lead 8-2 after 5 innings.

Comment

Good to see Ross square one up. I keeping hoping against hope he'll break out this season. I think he's a gamer but hasn't shown much at all. That 3 run homer was really served up to him, but he did what you're supposed to do when somebody hangs one. 8-2 Shocks. Stumpy on.

Comment

More rain on the way from the Southwest but I think we will be able to squeeze the full game in. Although the game is official as it currently stands.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 12, 2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Still 8-2 with Segal on. Another one of those guys to me at least with really high end talent but poor results. Love to see him dominate today.

Comment

Not razor sharp but you saw some of Segal's good stuff in the 8th. Need 3 more outs to post a nice comeback win for the Shocks.

Comment

Pretty solid work by the Shocks today against a team that historically has been very competitive against the Shocks. About the only thing that I could pick on today was the 7 walks i still too high but generally the relievers had one of their better efforts as a group today, Whether that can become something we see consistently is hard to say and remains to be seen but today was a good day for the Shocks.

Comment

Slavens' Career Day Leads Shockers to Victory

Hopefully, Brady did not do too much damage when he fouled a ball of his lower leg/ankle in the 7th and had to come out of the game. He was hurting but hopefully they just wanted to get him into the locker room and get some ice on his leg.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 12, 2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X