This Might Kill Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Might Kill Attendance

No more bring your own beer to the Hill for baseball games.
    Fans can no longer bring their own beer to Wichita State baseball games. The rule change comes as Wichita State updated its state liquor license. Spectators were previously permitted to bring in coolers “of reasonable size” into the outfield grounds. WSU plans to inform fans of the change closer to its home-opener on March 1. The...

There's no might about it...

Comment

I think it could very well impact attendance although I guess those would be primarily those want an excuse to drink a bunch of beer as their primary motive with supporting the Shockers as a secondary motivation. And perhaps that is the great majority of the hill people. OTOH in recent years drinking beer may be the only way many fans can make it through a game.

The implication is that this is being mandated by Kansas ABC and not by WSU although it is a bit hard to say for sure from this article.

No doubt their will some pissed of fans who don't get the memo and show up at the ballpark with a cooler of their favorite suds.

Comment

It's a WSU thing. There's no law that prohibits it. Grilling on the outfield hill and having a few beers is a good time even when the baseball teams sucks, a lot of people do it. This won't completely kill it for me, but will make it less likely I come out to a game when we're not good.

Comment

I really enjoy how the WSU AD straight up lies to people when changes come about.

We have to take the caps off of bottles in CKA because of the AAC.

Nope.

We have to stop allowing beer on Coleman Hill because of the KS ABC.

Nope.

What other things are they not being truthful with?
          Last edited by SHOCKvalue; February 13, 2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Why do we even have a baseball program anymore? Honestly?

I don't drink but this move is moronic on so many levels. All this is is another money gouging maneuver by WSU. "You can no longer bring in your own beer but you can gladly buy ours for $9 a pop at the concession stand, which is located conveniently on the other side of the stadium".

Who the hell is the AD? Oh wait, nevermind.

Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Kansas liquor laws have gotten more lax over the last several years (Sunday sales, legalized happy hour, grocery stores selling full strength beer, etc). It's hard to see ABC being the cause of this change.

Comment

I looked at the Kansas ABC handbook for public venues which I think, but can't be certain, would cover Eck Stadium. It states that public venues may allow customers to bring into the premises their own alcoholic beverages for consumption by the customer and the customer''s invited guests. The venue may not store the customer's alcoholic beverages. The customer must remove their alcoholic beverages when departing the venue. The public venue may also prohibit this practice.

Sounds to me like this is a decision made by the WSU athletic department if, in fact, this is the correct citation of the applicable rules.

Comment

It's becoming increasingly hard to give my money to an athletic department that boldface lies to you and assumes you are an idiot.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Used to hit the hill for every home game in the spring.. grilling, beer, and baseball. First it was charcoal and now beer...

oh the good ole days of paying off the guy at the gate.. a burger or hot dog to bring in the hard booze..

athletic department... bad timing. Another momentum killing idea.

Guess we’ll just have to pass em’ over the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Why do we even have a baseball program anymore? Honestly?
                      jobs program?

Comment

The fun police are on duty.

Comment

In 2020, I was planning on finally attending a game at Eck in person for the first time since Gene was fired after they fire Butler in May, but now I don't see the point. Sitting on the hill and BYOB was one of the things that made Eck so unique. Now it's just a corporate ghost town.

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
                            In 2020, I was planning on finally attending a game at Eck in person for the first time since Gene was fired after they fire Butler in May, but now I don't see the point. Sitting on the hill and BYOB was one of the things that made Eck so unique. Now it's just a corporate ghost town.
                            I would suggest that for those of you whose attendance decision will be effected by this ban should communicate that to the athletic department.

dboatright@goshockers.com

bkemnitz@goshockers.com

paul.suellentrop@wichita.edu

rwilkins@goshockers.com

Comment

Working...
                            X