X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Baseball Opens the Season on Friday

Shockers Open Season at Angels College Classic

2019 Angels College Classic
    Game 1: Wichita State (0-0) at Grand Canyon (0-0)
    Friday, Feb. 15 | 6 p.m. MT | Phoenix, Ariz. (Brazell Field at GCU Ballpark)
    Radio: 98.7 FM/1330 AM (Shane Dennis, pxp)
    TV: Fox Sports Arizona/Fox Sports Midwest (Barry Buetel, pxp; Mike Rooney, color; Jody Jackson, reporter)
    Live Video | Live Audio | Live Stats

Game 2: Wichita State vs. Grand Canyon
    Saturday, Feb. 16 | 4 p.m. MT | Tempe, Ariz. (Tempe Diablo Stadium)

Live Audio | Live Stats

Game 3: Wichita State vs. No. 5 Stanford
    Saturday, Feb. 16 | 7:30 p.m. MT | Tempe, Ariz. (Tempe Diablo Stadium)

Live Audio | Live Stats

Game 4: Pepperdine vs. Wichita State
    Sunday, Feb. 17 | 10 a.m. MT | Tempe, Ariz. (Tempe Diablo Stadium)

Live Audio | Live Stats

https://goshockers.com/news/2019/2/13/baseball-shockers-open-116th-season-feb-15-17-in-phoenix.aspx

No word on the probable starting pitchers for the Shocks.

That's a serious tournament to get things underway.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      [h=1]

No word on the probable starting pitchers for the Shocks.
      Pelfrey gave this as the starting rotation:

Game 1: Sr Clayton McGinness
      Game 2: Jr RH Preston Snavely
      Game 3: RS Frosh RH Ryan Stuempfig
      Game 4: Jr RH Tommy Barnhouse

As he talked about the staff, seems that they have some raw talent, the question is will they be capable of using it to win Games.

I don’t know if it is good or bad thing, but he said the offense was a tough out in inter-squad scrimmages and they didn’t swing at many bad pitches.

Comment

Wow! I’m stunned by that rotation. I’ve heard gushing comments about how good Eddy and Segal have looked and progressed. No doubt Stuempfig is talented. Good to see Barnhouse ready! Any roll call from transplanted Shockers that will be in attendance?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Wow! I’m stunned by that rotation. I’ve heard gushing comments about how good Eddy and Segal have looked and progressed. No doubt Stuempfig is talented. Good to see Barnhouse ready! Any roll call from transplanted Shockers that will be in attendance?
          Readily admit that I don't following the players as close as I used to, but yeah...Wow.

Starter #1 last year had an ERA of 5.18, pitched a total of 40 innings in 10 starts and 1 relief, walked 29 batters, 11 HBP, and 7 wild pitches.

Starter #2 last year had an ERA of 4.93, pitched a total of 32.2 innings in 1 start and 33 relief, walked 12 batters (reasonable), 4 HPB, and 7 wild pitches.

What's with Eddy?

Comment

Snavely looked great in the fall. Totally different pitcher than last year. Looks very good.

Comment

RH: A New Set of Wheels for 2019

Sully looks at the Shocker speed guys and HCTB says he plans on utilizing that as much as possible this year.

David Van Vooren, Jacob Katzfey, Alex Jackson and Jack Sigrist singled out as guys that may have the green light . We'll see how it goes.

VanVooren may be limited this weekend by a slight right hamstring strain.

Confirming the post by SB Shock above regarding the Shockers starting rotation this weekend:

Senior Clayton McGinness, a reliever who compiled a 4.93 ERA and a 2-0 record, moves into the rotation and will start Friday's opener.
              Junior Preston Snavely, 4-1 with a 5.18 ERA will start Game 2.
              Redshirt freshman Ryan Stuempfig is scheduled to start the third game.
              Junior Tommy Barnhouse, also a reliever in 2018, is scheduled for the fourth game. He went 3-2 with a 2.96 ERA last season.

"I saw a great improvement from two weekends ago, pitching, to last weekend," Butler said. "The pitchers threw strikes and guys were throwing secondary pitches for strikes down in the count."

Sounds like the starting OF will be David VanVooren in left, if his hamstring allows, Jacob Katzfey in center hitting 3rd and Paxton Wallace in RF and hitting cleanup. If VanVooren can't go look for either Sigrist or Hunter Gibson in left.

The infield looks to be Luke Ritter at 3rd, Jordan Boyer at SS, Alex Jackson at 2nd and either Mason O'Brien, Garret Kocis or Jake Plastiak at 1st. I look for Mason to get the start in game 1.

Junior Noah Croft and sophomore Ross Cadena will share time at catcher.

I assume the DH role will rotate among Noah, Ross, Hunter and the 3 first base options, Maso, Garret and Jake with perhaps right vs left matchups determining the starter and perhaps substitutes.

Sully really did not talk about the pitching beyond who the scheduled starters are.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 15, 2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Wow, just wow. 1500 fans here already. GCU represents.

Comment

What's the weather like? I would expect the Shocks preparation to be quite a ways behind the warm weather teams in this tournament. Hopefully the Shocks will be competitive.

Comment

Cloudy and cool. Slight breeze. about 62 I think.

Comment

Cheerleaders and band on the field for opening day ceremonies.

Comment

Sen. McSally sings God Bless America.

Comment

I think it is 15 here with a wind chill of 1.

Comment

Do we swing and miss more than any team the past 10 years??

Comment

Cue the circus already

Comment

Working...
                              X