X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fHCGS Shocker HoF

Congrats!

Well deserved.

"Seeing a little freshman go out there, and just all of a sudden you'd see his elbow turn and he dips his shoulder down and it's 'Oh man, I didn't expect that,'" said former Shocker outfielder Ryan Jones.

https://21143.mc.tritondigital.com/O...3?t=1544718356
    Last edited by Veritas; December 13, 2018, 01:39 PM.

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    Congrats!

Well deserved.

"Seeing a little freshman go out there, and just all of a sudden you'd see his elbow turn and he dips his shoulder down and it's 'Oh man, I didn't expect that,'" said former Shocker outfielder Ryan Jones.

https://21143.mc.tritondigital.com/O...3?t=1544718356
    Unfortunately, I have other commitments this weekend; I hope people buy tickets, support this young team and honor Gene.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Unfortunately, I have other commitments this weekend; I hope people buy tickets, support this young team and honor Gene.
      It’s already sold out. He’s the only being inducted as well. To be honored at the game at Intrust as well.

Comment

The Hand Shake history is funny as hell.

I don't know what you mean. I was just shakin' hands.

Yeah, right Coach.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 13, 2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Classic!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
            So nice to see Gene being appreciated for all he did. Happy for him. Think he held back a little shaking ADDB’s hand or did he “get ‘em” with the hand shake? Great story.

Gene Stephenson, the sole inductee of Wichita State's 2019 Pizza Hut Shocker Sports Hall of Fame class, was inducted during halftime of the Wichita State men's basketball game against Southern Miss on Dec. 15. He was also honored at a dinner Dec. 14 at the Drury Plaza Hotel Broadview.

Last edited by Veritas; December 15, 2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Gene was humbled last night with all the attention and accolades. Video congrats from Coach Snyder, Coach Martin, Casey Blake among others. The video recounting the 89 season and a veritable who's who of WSU Baseball.

By NO means a complete list (over 500 in attendance, guessing close to half were ex-players and spouses); Eric Wedge (dressed as the Col) Joe Carter (both speeches were fantastic) Kevin Hooper, Phil Stephenson, Jim Thomas, Loren Hibbs, Kevin Penner, Chris Wimmer, Greg Brummett, Nate Robertson, several Blumas, Braden Looper and on and on and on and on.

All very appreciative, a lot of success, a lot of stories, most of which I had never heard (no catchers at Texas Tech in year 1 and we sweep the first day DH with them ranked!). Eric Wedge makes you want to run through a brick wall. Just a wonderful evening.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                Super awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Great for Gene. Long overdue honestly.

Skybox? He should own the whole damn stadium. They better name the thing after him soon.

Also, does anybody think it's a little odd to do this at the Intrust game and not on campus? I know I'm probably reading more into that than anything but I just think it's a little weird.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Great for Gene. Long overdue honestly.
                It was long overdue, but Gene has to wear that. He would have been in sooner if he would have allowed/agreed. Some reasons made sense, others didn't. He wears the delay, nobody else.

Look, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion on how this whole thing went down. Not going to change people's minds. But this was done very very well, and mostly because Gene finally allowed this to happen.

What's disappointing is that so few people will be there today to honor him at Intrust. THAT'S the real tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  What's disappointing is that so few people will be there today to honor him at Intrust. THAT'S the real tragedy.
                  No argument that more should be attending the game today. But imo the Athletic Department needs to wear that. The way season ticket prices have escalated the past several years, the struggling and growing young shocker team, and the no name opponent they are playing, this result should have been forecasted months ago. I saw it coming. So should have the Athletic Dept.
                  I will add that prices are 20-25 percent too high for this year.
                  Last edited by Shockm; December 15, 2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

It was long overdue, but Gene has to wear that. He would have been in sooner if he would have allowed/agreed. Some reasons made sense, others didn't. He wears the delay, nobody else.

Look, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion on how this whole thing went down. Not going to change people's minds. But this was done very very well, and mostly because Gene finally allowed this to happen.

You just can’t help yourself, can you? Always trying to get in a dig at Gene and stick up for the AD department’s handling of any situation.

This is about honoring Gene, his players, and program. Why don’t you give it a rest for a bit. Your supposed great insider knowledge and constant murky Nostradamus predictions get old.

Comment

I’m sorry it came across as a dig at Gene, it wasn’t meant that way. I was simply commenting on what was said publicly at the event. It’s not insider info, but hey , no problem. Good luck to everyone!

Comment

Gene was humbled last night with all the attention and accolades. Video congrats from Coach Snyder, Coach Martin, Casey Blake among others. The video recounting the 89 season and a veritable who's who of WSU Baseball.

Which Coach Martin and Coach Snyder ? TIA.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My guess would be K-State's Bill Snyder and Florida's Mike Martin.

Nice summary of the event

Comment

Working...
                        X