WSU vs Nebraska (Fall Ball Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU vs Nebraska (Fall Ball Edition)

Early word was Nebraska was leading after 3 in the 16 inning game.

quote from Nebraska fan, not sure if he's talking in general or talking about today.

What if you're a Shocker baseball fan and Husker football fan? Then things have gone into a tailspin...

Comment

Nebraska won the first session 8-0 (unofficially)

Comment

Wichita lineup for the first set:

1. Van Vooren RF
        2. Katzfey 1B
        3. Ritter 2B
        4. Wallace 3B
        5. Jackson LF
        6. Cadena C
        7. Gibson DH
        8. Boyer SS
        9. Cox CF
        10. Kocis (Extra HItter)

SP - Lindemann

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          quote from Nebraska fan, not sure if he's talking in general or talking about today.
          I imagine both.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Nebraska won the first session 8-0 (unofficially)
            Unofficially, we still suck.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Pathetic. Butler is a clown. Why isn’t this obvious to ADDB? Winners win.

Comment

Talk to somebody that follows Nebraska (and was at the game for awhile). I asked him about the quality of Nebraska

Missing some pieces, but overall not bad”

Comment

WSU evidently lost the 2nd game 5-3.

Comment

I'm sure I'll be accused of a variety of things for trying to spin this......clearly this was more about trying to identify who is going to help us next spring and not winning the games. Most pitchers didn't go more than 1 inning. Cal Carver looked the part. So did Garrett Kocis. One other freshman pitcher looked good, but I don't know the kids well enough to tell you for sure who it was. Need to hit better for sure. Clayton was nails. Just a little takeaway.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      I'm sure I'll be accused of a variety of things for trying to spin this......clearly this was more about trying to identify who is going to help us next spring and not winning the games. Most pitchers didn't go more than 1 inning. Cal Carver looked the part. So did Garrett Kocis. One other freshman pitcher looked good, but I don't know the kids well enough to tell you for sure who it was. Need to hit better for sure. Clayton was nails. Just a little takeaway.
                      No doubt about that Doc. But I think the same was probably true of Nebraska. The bottom line is the Shockers were outscored 13-3. And while it is just one fall scrimmage against a quality program (although one that struggled last year largely due to injuries to their ptiching staff) it does reinforce my perception/expectation that this Shocker team will be offensively challenged. If that does prove to be the case then being able to put together a quality pitching staff will be even more critical to the success of this team. These kind of games where the pitching is 1 inning at a time probably don't provide much to go on, especially if you didn't see the game, the results also don't provide any answers but the fact is the Shocks gave up 13 runs in 14 innings which on the face of it is not good. I don't think the concerns about this team stem from this game alone. This game just provides another layer that doesn't do anything to ease those concerns.

Comment

WSU evidently lost the 2nd game 5-3.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huske...d57113aa1.html
                        I agree with you. Rome wasn't built in a day. Rebuilding takes time.

As for the scrimmage games, there was a focus on pitch counts so not everything was played at full innnings. Shockers unfortunately gave up a lot of walks. I understand that on base runners were scored as runs if the inning was cut short from pitch counts.

I tend to focus on the positives. There were definitely pitching struggles finding the zone but highlights as well. McGinnis came out on fire for 2 innings and so did the newcomers McCraw, Carver and Plyman. Need to give these guys more mound opportunities if the veterans aren't showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by txkidsports View Post
                          Rome wasn't built in a day. Rebuilding takes time.
                          I think that is a valid observation. The fact is, however, that this is the start of year 6 for HCTB. How much time do think a head coach should given for a D-1 baseball rebuild?

My opinion on this is that you should at least see some clear signs of progress by year 3 especially when a coach is hired based primarily on his recruiting prowess.

One thing HCTB has had is more then a fair amount of time to get the job done. Perhaps the athletice administration think he is getting the job done although as far as I know they have not extended his contract. Unfortunately, the fans don't seem to share that opinion as evidenced by declining ticket sales.

Comment

Originally posted by txkidsports View Post

I agree with you. Rome wasn't built in a day. Rebuilding takes time.
                            I'm not sure what you agreeing with me on - I have only posted as much information I could garner from a variety of sources. It sounds like you have some personal knowledge of what transpired. I think many would appreciate a full scrimmage report.

But the bigger issue - Butler has to show he is now in "re-load", not rebuild. Otherwise, if we are going back into "rebuild" in year 6, WSU might as well cancel the baseball program, level the baseball field and let the university put it to better use. Winners win!

Comment

Why are some of you talking about or insinuating there is a future with Butler?

This is his final year so it’s all pretty much irrelevant.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• SB Shock
                                SB Shock commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I assume you are confident he will be fired at the end this next season, but for those who don't know Butler does have another contract year after the 2018-19 year.

• ShockerFever
                                ShockerFever commented
                                Editing a comment
                                If Todd Butler makes it 6 years through a 7 year contract, without a single NCAA appearance or winning conference record and isn't shown the door because of a one year buyout, then Eck Stadium deserves to be burnt to the ground because that will put the final nail in the coffin that this incompetent administration does not give one single iota about baseball.
                            Working...
                            X