Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Since we are on the topic) Retired Numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Since we are on the topic) Retired Numbers?

Since we are talking about it in the other two big sports threads, should the University of Wichita start retiring numbers?

If so, what would be the guidelines?

Also, would you go New York Yankees and retire all the great (and not so great) players to ever play for you? Or do you go Boston Red Sox and be very rigid with who you retire or not?

Last question, who would your picks be?
    The Assman

Let's retire Butler's.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I'm not big on retiring numbers.

Say a kid has grown up playing baseball and loves WSU. The kid loved watching Alec Bohm rake the ball all over the field the past few years and is #18 from now through the time he eventually gets drafted out of high-school in the 5th round but wants to attend WSU just like his childhood idol. Willie Schwanke (WSU Head Baseball Coach in 2031) tells the kid we would love to have you at WSU so you can live out your life long dream of playing Shocker Baseball and being drafted higher than your hero someday, BUT, you can't have #18, it was retired in a ceremony back in 2028 after Alec hit the game winning HR in the World Series. Kid signs pro and doesn't attend WSU.
      Last edited by shockfan89_; June 25, 2018, 07:14 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

This program used to be about getiing to the CWS with an emphasis on team. We are in the dumps now so maybe we should look at it to drum up some interest in the program. For the record I like how KU basketball handles this issue by retiring "jerseys" rather than numbers. The difference being that your jerseys number goes to the rafters, but can still be worn by another student athlete at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
          This program used to be about getiing to the CWS with an emphasis on team. We are in the dumps now so maybe we should look at it to drum up some interest in the program. For the record I like how KU basketball handles this issue by retiring "jerseys" rather than numbers. The difference being that your jerseys number goes to the rafters, but can still be worn by another student athlete at some point.
          I agree that may be a better method. But KU does it out of necessity. They wouldnt have any numbers available to use by now.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
            I'm not big on retiring numbers.

Say a kid has grown up playing baseball and loves WSU. The kid loved watching Alec Bohm rake the ball all over the field the past few years and is #18 from now through the time he eventually gets drafted out of high-school in the 5th round but wants to attend WSU just like his childhood idol. Willie Schwanke (WSU Head Baseball Coach in 2031) tells the kid we would love to have you at WSU so you can live out your life long dream of playing Shocker Baseball and being drafted higher than your hero someday, BUT, you can't have #18, it was retired in a ceremony back in 2028 after Alec hit the game winning HR in the World Series. Kid signs pro and doesn't attend WSU.
            Willie Schwanke?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• shockfan89_
              shockfan89_ commented
              Editing a comment
              I was just using that to illustrate my point on retiring numbers, but, since you brought it up, could he do any worse than the last five years???
          Working...
          X