Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todd Butler returning for 2019 baseball season

Per Will Kunkel

Can't even make a Regional with a top 3 pick, another first rounder and two other AAC 1st team members and he gets to keep his job.

The standards of the Wichita State athletic department, in regards to baseball, are at a low we haven't witnessed since before Gene took the job.

Comment

:confusion::frown-new::confusion:

Comment

It makes me want to puke.
        An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
          Can't even make a Regional with a top 3 pick, another first rounder and two other AAC 1st team members and he gets to keep his job.

The standards of the Wichita State athletic department, in regards to baseball, are at a low we haven't witnessed since before Gene took the job.
          Woof. When you put it that way...yikes.

Comment

I had the opportunity to chat one on one with Todd yesterday. As a fan that was very much on the fence about retaining Butler after meeting him I am now fully on the side of retaining him and staff at least for the end of his contract. He was convinced before the season started that we would have a 40 win year. Losing Tyler Jones was a big factor. He had made huge strides in the off season and was looking to be our Friday guy and a dominate arm. The young arms on the team weren't used to the work load and they faded and were very tired down the stretch.

While this was his most talented team, they did under perform. But as fans of WSU did we help the cause by not showing up to the games to support our team and school? How many people missed out on seeing the number 3 pick in the draft and other extremely talented ball players? As fans could our home game support resulted in helping in 3 more wins and therefore a regional birth? I have to say I should have attended more games this year so I am not here to throw stones.

I guess my point is Todd Butler has earned more of my support and don't we owe support to him and his team as WSU fans? Nobody likes fair weather fans, but isn't that exactly the type of fans most of us are being?

So, I'd like to challenge those of you that are baseball fans to throw support to the team instead of backing away. Attend games next year when you can. Send your kids to his baseball camps this summer, go to the fall world series, etc. That is what I will be doing and I hope that some shockernet will consider doing the same.

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
              Downtown Shocker Brown commented
              Editing a comment
              Imagine if we had a coach recruiting Pitchers to go along with the bats we had? Codi held his own in Fridays. We really struggled Saturday and Sunday. Hoping Jones and Eddy can give us solid spots and then we can get Davis/Kilgore/Snavely/Stuempfig to step up. Get the incoming FR to step up in Mid Week (Pliemann) can step up there.

Injuries are always a key to any season, and we didnt have the backup to recover. I think that changes starting next season.

Lotta eskimos being sold dump trucks full of sno cones 'round these parts.

Almost cult-like in the irrationality and psychosis.

I maintain that - excluding all other possible characteristics - Todd Butler is a salesman the levels never seen on the WSU campus, either athletically or academically-speaking. I purpose the nickname Teflon Todd. Could also go with Tesla Todd to analogously reflect the disconnect between stock price and actual fiscal performance.
            Last edited by SHOCKvalue; June 6, 2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

The bravado some fans have for a program that hasnt been to the CWS in these players lifetime should also be examined.

There are plenty of reasonable facts to support both HCTB staying, and had he been dismissed.

Simple fact he is our coach. Dont like it/him, fine. Dont cheer him. These are our players. We should support them. Period. Their success, regardless of the coach, is what will help rebuild our reputation among the kids just moving to High School.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                The bravado some fans have for a program that hasnt been to the CWS in these players lifetime should also be examined.

There are plenty of reasonable facts to support both HCTB staying, and had he been dismissed.

Simple fact he is our coach. Dont like it/him, fine. Dont cheer him. These are our players. We should support them. Period. Their success, regardless of the coach, is what will help rebuild our reputation among the kids just moving to High School.
                Can you point to me the volume of posts on this forum critical of the players, as opposed to the coach? I'm sure you can find some in game threads, but when it comes to big picture regime type of threads like this one almost no one is saying anything about the players.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Can you point to me the volume of posts on this forum critical of the players, as opposed to the coach? I'm sure you can find some in game threads, but when it comes to big picture regime type of threads like this one almost no one is saying anything about the players.
                  It's not the posts that I am concerned with. It is the lack of fan support for the Players

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

I can find TONS in game threads, and show an abundance of posts from people not going to games as a vote against the regime. That is not supporting the players.

Were you being rhetorical, or do you really want a list? Hopefully you recognize these to be facts, as they are. I can pull them if you like.

Comment

I can find TONS in game threads, and show an abundance of posts from people not going to games as a vote against the regime. That is not supporting the players.

Were you being rhetorical, or do you really want a list? Hopefully you recognize these to be facts, as they are. I can pull them if you like.
                      I'm certainly game to see your list of posts critical of the players in threads topical to Butler and/or the state of the program. Otherwise, you personally making a connection between a desire for regime change and a lack of projected player support is an island you'll need to live on by yourself, intellectually. The latter is a logical non-starter.

I don't need to see posts indicating a "vote against the regime", as that is the established consensus opinion of (I'd conservatively guess) about 75% of WSU fans.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22 View Post

It's not the posts that I am concerned with. It is the lack of fan support for the Players
                        Guess you've missed all of the celebration in various corners of the interwebs about the historical performance of our players in this year's draft?

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22 View Post

First, SHOCKvalue said other than game threads. We can find that kind of stuff in basketball threads, too (not saying it's right).

Please tell us how one can support the players without it appearing to support the coach. How does one make a very strong NO vote for the coach that the athletic department will notice/feel?

Personally, I feel the baseball program has gotten itself into a Catch 22 position.

Comment

When a product sucks you don't buy it.

A fundamental econ 101 lesson, understood in spirit all the way down to the animal kingdom.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
                              SHOCKvalue commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Certainly, the market's first reaction to a substandard good or service is to buy more of that good or service in irrational hope the charity investment will lead to good or service improvement.

Said no economist ever.

Ever.

• shocker22
                              shocker22 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              However, the baseball budget has nothing but decreased since Butler arrived along with fan support. How can we expect the same results from the past when we are not giving the same support currently?

• SHOCKvalue
                              SHOCKvalue commented
                              Editing a comment
                              How do you know the baseball budget has decreased? Baseball is not a line item on the Equity in Athletics disclosures. If you have specific figures, as opposed to complete conjecture, I would be interested in seeing it.

The overall AD budget has increased roughly 25% since Butler has been in Wichita (low $2xM to high $2xM), so I seriously doubt that baseball's budget has suffered. It is probably the second most important sport to WSU, and at worst it is T2 with VB..
                          Working...
                          X