Introducing, your next head coach of the Wichita State Shockers: Kevin Hooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    I'm not saying the next coach of WSU baseball, whenever that may be, won't be tied to WSU's past, but I do not believe that person will be Kevin Hooper. I also promise you I'm as big a fan of Kevin Hooper as anyone here.
    Is your belief regarding Kevin Hooper driven by Hooper or by Wichita State or do you just not believe Kevin has the qualifications experience-wise?

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      There are a couple of reasons I won't discuss here, nothing nefarious, but I have doubts about his ability to successfully manage the off the field parts, especially considering his void of D1 experience at any level of coaching.

My point is simply this......If you keep looking to repeat the 90s you're going to always be disappointed and fail. I'm not saying the next coach of WSU baseball, whenever that may be, won't be tied to WSU's past, but I do not believe that person will be Kevin Hooper. I also promise you I'm as big a fan of Kevin Hooper as anyone here.

Carry on.
    I'd rather shoot for repeating the 90s and be disappointed than be content with mediocrity.

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't and won't argue the other side there. Totally get that line of thinking.

My point is simply this......If you keep looking to repeat the 90s you're going to always be disappointed and fail. I'm not saying the next coach of WSU baseball, whenever that may be, won't be tied to WSU's past, but I do not believe that person will be Kevin Hooper. I also promise you I'm as big a fan of Kevin Hooper as anyone here.

Carry on.
    Nobody is expecting 90's. NOBODY.

But then you have some that think WSU baseball shouldn't even expect to make regionals once every 5 years. That's just as unrealistic and embarrassing as anybody that would expect 90's type results anymore.

Why is Kevin Hooper not a possibility? Did Sexton and Boatright's handling of Gene burn those bridges or something? I sure hope that's not the case.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      The handling of Gene has NOTHING to do with why I believe Kevin Hooper won't be the next coach, at least today. I explained above.

If nobody is expecting the 90s, they sure are referenced a lot. I expect to make a regional more often than once every five years. If HCTB is our coach for the next 5, I believe we will make more than 1, more than 2. I think 3 or 4, and that's just an opinion. If we hire a new coach, it will be zero or luck. Again, my opinion.

• ShockerFever
      ShockerFever commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait a second. You’re telling me a coach that has NEVER been to the NCAA’s before, including with his BEST team EVER, is now magically going to guide us to a regional in 3 or 4 of the next 5 years??
      Unfortunately Doc this is where you’re finally off the rocker on something. Everything else you’ve been in line with. But are you freaking serious? This is where I believe the personal relationships are impeding your logic. This absolutely makes ZERO sense in any angle possible.

We are Southern Illinois now. Wow.

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Doc might be taking into consideration the AAC effect with his prediction. While HCTB will never be a top AAC coach, he might be able to eek out a top 4/5 finish every few years which could earn us a bid. It's nauseatingly mediocre in theory, but not completely out of left field.

Instead, why don't we consider for a moment the AAC effect with a coach that's actually competent...

Boy, now wouldn't that be fun?

T

...:cool:

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I'd rather shoot for repeating the 90s and be disappointed than be content with mediocrity.
    There's this dude that always says, "If you demand perfection, oftentimes you can achieve excellence."

This same dude wouldn't agree with a lot of what has been said about Shocker baseball with regard to lowering expectations to meet current product.

This dude has been pretty successful at exceeding expectations and telling "be satisfied" to go **** itself...

T

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree that HCTB is not HCGM. Feel free to keep looking for the baseball version of HCGM and when and IF you find him (1 in a million) then you better EMPTY YOUR ****ING POCKETS because it's going to cost HUGE and I am not seeing that from the vast majority here.

Look at Mark's roster players from all over and not just Kansas. He has the conections to go out west and being guys in. Mark would have WSU in the CWS in short order.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      That's good because whoever the next coach is will certainly have to recruit beyond the borders of Kansas. Mark is certainly a viable candidate in my opinion although that will count for nothing if and when a decsion to make a coaching change is made.

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      Not being a smartass......out of how many seasons has Mark had Tabor in the NAIA CWS? And it's going to be CWS here "in short order"?

Please...…..

Correct me if I'm wrong. Northern schools in the CWS since 1990:

Creighton 1991, Indiana 2013, Kansas 1993, Kent State 2012, Missouri State 2003, Nebraska 2001, 2002, 2005, Notre Dame 2002, Oregon State 2005, 2006, 2007, 2013, 2017, Stoney Brook 2012, Wichita State 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996

That's 19 bids out of a possible 224 bids or about 8%. AND fully 47% of those bids are us and OSU. Only OSU is still relevant (IU kind of is). It's pie in the sky to say anyone is getting us to the CWS anytime soon. It's a different world.

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Between the scholarship limits imposed by the NCAA and Title IX considerations, the competition for players with pro-baseball both coming out of high school and after 3-years of college play (if that), and the weather-related advantages bestowed on the warm-weather schools by starting the season in mid-February (instead of say playing from mid-April to mid-August) and college baseball seems to reside in the land of the misfit sports.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

T

Comment

Best kind of salad is a Wedge salad..... always has been, boys.

Comment

• WichitaStateGuy
        WichitaStateGuy commented
        Editing a comment
        He did, in fact, play D1 ball for some school in the midwest...

• Cdizzle
        Cdizzle commented
        Editing a comment
        WuDrWu, is that a requirement? I was under the impression it wasn't the 90s anymore, WSU is way behind the curve, and would likely have to go bargain-bin shopping.

• ShockerFever
        ShockerFever commented
        Editing a comment
        Well the current, soon to be former, head coach has D1 experience and look what that got us. Going .500 in the Southland is about a wash vs. no experience honestly.

Doc is sounding rattled...

I'm getting excited now!!!!!!!!!!

T

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        Well played sir. :) And actually I would tell you. You aren't a bunch.

• OregonShocker
        OregonShocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I get why you would be reluctant to tell this bunch. Just PM me with the name. :-)

• ShockerFever
        ShockerFever commented
        Editing a comment
        Is it because we aren’t in the family circle, Doc? Is it because we’re all a bunch of meanies who should be handing out quarter million dollar + a year salaries just for the hell of it?
        Last edited by ShockerFever; May 30, 2018, 03:19 PM.
    Working...
    X