X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nm
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Baseball America periodically surveys college coaches to compile a list of 10 assistants with bright futures as head coaches. The first list, compiled in 2001, included future stars such as Vanderbilt’s Tim Corbin, Virginia’s Brian O’Connor and Texas Christian’s Jim Schlossnagle. Half of the coaches who made the most recent list, compiled in 2012, are now head coaches, including East Carolina’s Cliff Godwin and Auburn’s Butch Thompson.

It has become increasingly common for top programs to reach into the ranks of assistant coaches when hiring a head coach. In the Southeastern Conference alone, five of the eight head coaches hired in the last two years were assistant coaches at other schools in the conference, including Thompson, who was Mississippi State’s pitching coach before he was hired at Auburn.

T

...:cool:

Comment

I feel like I'm the only one that sees Wedge as the number one target... honestly-- how could you not?

Hooper and Standiford would make great assistants, but let's be real... Hooper has managerial experience with guys that scrape your driveway during the winter, and yes, Standiford does drive the short-bus better than just about anyone, no doubt...

Wedge, however, has led at the highest level, and has had success. No idea how you don't make that phone call first. You think kids get excited for a former player that manages a club team? A guy that manages at the D-IV(AAAA) level? No. Kids get excited about a guy that managed CC Sabathia, Ichiro and Felix Hernandez.

It's Wedge. It has to be Wedge.
        Last edited by WichitaStateGuy; May 23, 2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• shockfan89_
          shockfan89_ commented
          Editing a comment
          I am not opposed to Wedge. I would love to see a Wedge/Hooper duo with Hooper taking over for Wedge some day. Either way, it is time to go with a Shocker Alum who played under Gene. This will help bury any hard feelings harbored by the old guard and allow the maximum fan support possible.

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, not trying to be a smart a$$, but...

One of my favorite songs ever. enjoy! :)According to Gary Wright, the song was inspired by Autobiography of a Yogi, which was given to him by George Harrison...

• OregonShocker
          OregonShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          WichitaStateGuy; I would hope he'd be excited, but I suspect he probably understands the reality of the work involved. As far as closing out his career, I guess it depends on whether he's content with his current role or looks to get back into managing.

Are we officially looking yet?

Asking for a friend.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          "We" are...

T

Wedge would be an awesome option, and probably #1 on many WSU fan’s list. But much like it’d be nice to win the lottery, you don’t include that $500M in your projections for your retirement plans.

I’d also bet salary (here or there) is almost a non-consideration for him, as he’s done... okay... in that regard since his playing days here.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          Wedge would be an awesome option, and probably #1 on many WSU fan’s list. But much like it’d be nice to win the lottery, you don’t include that $500M in your projections for your retirement plans.

I’d also bet salary (here or there) is almost a non-consideration for him, as he’s done... okay... in that regard since his playing days here.
          All I'm saying-- he's the best candidate. The phone call must be made first and foremost.

Comment

There are several names with ties to WSU that would, IMO, have the potential to be great hires. I would be very excited about a number of them.

But I think it's worth maintaining that there are also a LOT of other fish in the sea that have great potential as head coaches at a place like WSU. I would also be very excited about them.

Any of them could fail. But that wouldn't be worse than current. The only true failure for the athletic department at this point would be not trying.

I really hope I'm given reason to head back out to the ballpark next season. There are probably 400 decisions that could be made that would have my butt back in seats for a few years, and 1 decision that will not.

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

All I'm saying-- he's the best candidate. The phone call must be made first and foremost.
              I would agree, alum w/major league managing experience, he would be a dream get. Bring along Hooper and it gets even better. Heck make Gene a special consultant and you could tell recruits its gonna be like the 90's again better get on board!

Comment

Not sure that I am buying that Eric Wedge would be the dream hire. Maybe he would but maybe he wouldn't. His MLB winning % is about the same as Tood Butler's is at WSU and his teams only made the post-season 1 time in 10 years. However, I don't think the job of MLB Manager is that comparable to being a Collegiate Head Coach.

A college head coach no doubt has some managing duties but he also has to be a teacher of the game, a developer of players and a maker of men in addition to a motivator and game manager. Add in the all-important recruiting aspect of the college game, managing limited scholarships, working around class schedules and complying with NCAA rules and you have a totally different animal.

Besides I'm not sure Wedge would even have any interest and it's possible he has already conveyed that to Wichita State. He his no doubt leaving the good life on Mercer Island in Seattle and he has a 12 year old daughter and a 10 year old son. Very possible he is in same frame of mind as P.J. Forbes in that he wants to spend more time with his family at this stage of things. Not sure Wedge would be buying what we are sellling.

Of course, at this point in time there isn't even a job opening to fill. Hard to say whether there will be or not.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 25, 2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• shockfan89_
                  shockfan89_ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Valid points, but I think Wedge's strong points were the points you listed as college head coaching duties (teacher of the game, developer players, making boys into men, motivating, game manager. I actually think Wedge was more suited to be a college coach than a professional manager. Although, I will admit Wedge would probably have some of the same issues as Marshall. He might be a little bit intense for today's 18-21 year olds.

Interesting interview from a couple months ago. http://www.kfhradio.com/blogs/drive/...n-kevin-hooper

Comment

• Cdizzle
                  Cdizzle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I especially like the part where Hoop basically says it's not a secret he would like to be the WSU skipper.

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If one of the priorities would be to re-energize the fan base as quickly as possible I'm not sure you could do better than Hoop.

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hooper has been on staff at Wichita State previously. Unfortunately it didn't last too long no doubt to our detriment.

I posted this on the Fire Todd Butler thread but perhaps it more appropriately belongs here.

If HCTB is terminated this year or next year is Sammy Esposito a viable candidate to take over? No head coaching exerience but he has put in a lot of years as a volunteer assistant which tells me he is motiviated and determined and doesn't give up easily and he has coached at a very successful D-1 program in South Carolina. Actually Sammy's resume compares favorably to Gene's when Ted Bredehoft plucked him from Oklahoma.

If we do make a change I think we have a guy who could probably express a pretty knowledgable opinion about whether Sammy should be considered. Some guy nicknamed 10.

Who knows maybe we have a HCIW and don't even know it.

Comment

Who thinks Brent Kemnitz will put in for the job?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post
                    Are we officially looking yet?

Asking for a friend.

Good win today. I have nothing more to say about that, but...

If Wichita State makes a move after the season (which seems reasonable after an 8 seed) will the next head coach come from Gene's tree? (I think it should)…

OR... Does a guy like Gary Henderson (who led MSU to the World Series last year, to not be retained..) have a shot?

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...all/730047002/

Comment

Brent has ZERO interest in the job and wouldn’t be considered if he did. That’s almost as bad as whomever said Gene should come back for a season. Laughable.

Comment

Guys... I'm starting to see visions of a packed Eck Stadium again.

That's.

All.

I'll.

Say.

About.

That.

T

Comment

• bleednblackngold
                          bleednblackngold commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Are you sure you should be using a wedge for that? I like it! Go for it!
                      Working...
                      X