#18 Wichita State @ #16 East Carolina, 3 Game Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #18 Wichita State @ #16 East Carolina, 3 Game Series

Poll rankings for each team below (GoShockers.com selectively used the highest ranking for each team in their game notes and the topic title reflects the same):
    • Collegiate Baseball: WSU 18, ECU 28
    • Perfect Game: ECU 22, WSU 23
    • D1 Baseball: ECU 16, WSU 22
    • USA Today: ECU 17, WSU 23
    • NCBWA: ECU 18, WSU 22
    • Baseball America: ECU 17, WSU n/a
    Projected starting pitchers and game times listed below:
    • Thursday, 5:30 PM CST: Codi Heuer (RHP, 4-0, 3.18 ERA) vs. Trey Benton (RHP, 4-2, 2.43 ERA)
    • Friday, 5:30 PM CST: Liam Eddy (RHP, 5-0, 1.57 ERA) vs. Chris Holba (RHP, 5-0, 1.32 ERA)
    • Saturday, 12 PM CST: Tommy Barnhouse (2-1, 3.21 ERA) vs. TBD (Tyler Smith started last Sunday against UCF but was ineffective, he is 3-0 with a 1.37 ERA on the season. Next most likely would seem to be Jake Agnos (2-2, 4.29 ERA))
    Breakdown of some key statistical comparisons below:
    • .Avg: WSU .283, ECU .283
    • HR: WSU 27, ECU 16
    • SB: WSU 24, ECU 30
    • ERA: WSU 3.24, ECU 2.58
    • SO: WSU 222, ECU 187
    Looks like this should be a fun battle of pretty good hitting against really good pitching for both teams. Hopefully our fellas bring their A game to town, they are going to need it.

Go Shocks!

Also, tomorrow's game will be on the American Digital Network. Friday's game and Saturday's game will be shown on Pirates All-Access - at first glance this does not seem to require a subscription, but perhaps if a visitor from ECU checks this thread they can let us know.

Mike and Shane will have the call on 1330/98.7.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
      Also, tomorrow's game will be on the American Digital Network. Friday's game and Saturday's game will be shown on Pirates All-Access - at first glance this does not seem to require a subscription, but perhaps if a visitor from ECU checks this thread they can let us know.

Mike and Shane will have the call on 1330/98.7.
      I'm pretty sure you're right about no subscription. I watched the volleyball match at ECU and there was no fee.
      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

And Here. We. Go.

Comment

I really want the guys to do well, but it seems like when the build up gets this high, the moment seems to big for them and they piss down their legs. I'm not predicting that to happen, nor do I want it to happen, but it's definitely not off the table. Going back to the last caliber of team we played on the road was Missouri.. and that was a failing no-show.

Here's to hoping.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Going 0-3 this weekend would not surprise me. ECU is just getting healthy and some key players are returning that will be pumpes to make a atatement.

I think we split Fri/Sat and then it comes down to who wants it more in the rubber match. I hope that is us.

Comment

• Steeleshocker
              Steeleshocker commented
              Editing a comment
              The series starts today, not tomorrow.

• Downtown Shocker Brown
              Downtown Shocker Brown commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, wasnt awake yet.

Lets just play it that we split Fri/Sat and that it comes down to who wants ot more tonight. Yeah, thats what I meant.

I'm trying not to put too much importance in this series, but it's tough. Such a big series for so many reasons. Seriously, when was the last time we played a meaningful conference series, much less one against a quality opponent? I think we might have taken 2 of 3 flukishly against Missouri State a couple of years ago (checked 2016) but we had already lost 2 of 3 to Evansville, effectively ending any hopes of a decent league.

Losing the series or even getting swept isn't the end of the world or the season. At all. This is a really good team that's fighting to host. At their place. But win this series and WE'RE the ones fighting to host all of a sudden. It just feels like this week is huge for the psyche of our program. Do we belong or not. ECU knows they belong. We're about to find out if we do.

Go Shocks!

Comment

Really need to grab at least one win this weekend. Anything more would make for a fantastic week, whereas getting swept would be disappointing (not fatal, but damaging for sure).

Should be fun. As Doc noted, we've waited a long time for a series that matters at this stage of the season (last was probably the 2012 team that wilted and finished bubble-out).

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Losing the series or even getting swept isn't the end of the world or the season.

Go Shocks!
                I absolutely agree with that. Getting swept in 3 blowouts isn't the end of the world but certainly would put a damper on what the guys have done so far this season and will raise questions about how the Shocks will finish out the season. If we get swept in 3 competitive games where the Shocks play and ptich well, while disappoinitng from a lost opportunity standpoint, is not the end of the season. There is still a lot of season left to get some good things done. On the other hand if the Shocks win a couple of these games were feeling pretty darn good about the rest of the season. But there is still a lot of season left that presents plenty of potential pitfalls.

If our pitching, in particular, holds up well against ECU, I will feel pretty good about the Shocks regardlesss of the outcome of the games.

Comment

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    I really want the guys to do well, but it seems like when the build up gets this high, the moment seems to big for them and they piss down their legs. I'm not predicting that to happen, nor do I want it to happen, but it's definitely not off the table. Going back to the last caliber of team we played on the road was Missouri.. and that was a failing no-show.

Here's to hoping.
                    We also didn't have Heuer or Eddy on the bump.

Comment

• WheatShock
                      WheatShock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Missouri didn't have their best guys throwing either.

• Cdizzle
                      Cdizzle commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah. that game was like a flashback nightmare of everything bad about the previous 4 seasons, not just a poor midweek pitching performance. For now it stands as an outlier bad memory this season, so I'm not going to freak out about it in this thread unless by Saturday there is a much more noticeable trend in games against top end teams.

Pre-series Eagle article: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...207152629.html

Comment

Runs may be at premium this weekend. Important to have productive AB's whenever a situation arises to move runners along. Something that has not always been a strength of Todd Butler teams but we wills how it goes this weekend. Need to take advantage of as many opportunities as you can because you never know when or if you will get another one.

Now that I said that what this be a bunch of 10-8 games.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        There is still a lot of season left to get some good things done. On the other hand if the Shocks win a couple of these games were feeling pretty darn good about the rest of the season. But there is still a lot of season left that presents plenty of potential pitfalls.
                        New territory for programs and fans alike. Gone are the days of running roughshod over the Valley competition and focusing on a handful of games at best. Pretty much everyone can get you in any sport on any night in this league. They have the tools and they have the talent! It's indeed a brave new world.

Comment

• Cdizzle
                          Cdizzle commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Other than, you know, volleyball.

Boom, suck it AAC!

Let's see.....so far......new conference........Volleyball hosted an NCAA regional......basketball 4 seed........softball top 50ish type team?......baseball in the discussion for a seed.........

Put me down for a yes.

Thank you AAC.

And thank YOU Darron Boatright!

Comment

Working...
                        X