No announcement yet.

Please read and share your comments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please read and share your comments...

I'd like to see the thoughts of the Shocker fanbase:

Sorry the link takes so long to load, but be patient. The whole article is about how the Big 10 commissioner would "fix" college baseball to help out Big 10....errr northern schools.....

Interesting that he doesn't seem so worried about sharing the wealth in hoops or college football...

Comment

I'm surprised the Big 10 still has baseball. Without it and a compensating women's sport, there would be more money for football and basketball.

As much as I would like to see Valley schools and WSU gain a bone from the NCAA regarding baseball, I would also just as soon see the Big 10 not get that bone.

Lastly, Delany once again showed his true colors. If he's for something, it's probably not a good thing for us.

Comment

At least he addresses the problem; that southern schools had an advantage that the nothern schools can't do anything about.

One of the commentators stated that all schools have different advantages etc. But Ohio State's advantage in basketball is b/c of their efforts to raise money, recruit good players, have a good coach etc.

The southern schools have an advantage that has nothing to do with their efforts.

I can't think of any other sport that the weather makes as much of a difference. Maybe golf or track. But there are lots of indoor opportunities to practice those sports and those are individual sports without the need of another team in order to improve and get tuned in.

Having two baseball divisions is silly, though it would advantage WSU in the same way the current system favors southern schools.

We can practice outdoors in February. You simply cant do that in Michigan or Minnesota.

Having a uniform start date in March is the easiest, best and most simple solution.

Comment

Just wait, global warming will take care of the imbalance.
          Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
            At least he addresses the problem; that southern schools had an advantage that the nothern schools can't do anything about.

One of the commentators stated that all schools have different advantages etc. But Ohio State's advantage in basketball is b/c of their efforts to raise money, recruit good players, have a good coach etc.

The southern schools have an advantage that has nothing to do with their efforts.

I can't think of any other sport that the weather makes as much of a difference. Maybe golf or track. But there are lots of indoor opportunities to practice those sports and those are individual sports without the need of another team in order to improve and get tuned in.

Having two baseball divisions is silly, though it would advantage WSU in the same way the current system favors southern schools.

We can practice outdoors in February. You simply cant do that in Michigan or Minnesota.

Having a uniform start date in March is the easiest, best and most simple solution.

Excellent. Now, my .02.

Gene has been advocating a later starting date for decades. That's the only change that needs to be made. Deciding teams on geographic location is nonsense and that he even brings it up is crazy.

The advantages the southern schools have are borderline insurmountable. Yes, a team like WSU or Nebraska, even Notre Dame for a couple of seasons, can overcome and succeed but it isn't going to happen very often and your chances diminish the further north you go.

There are almost no reasonable arguments for not moving the season to late spring and summer. The kids are already playing in leagues across the nation in the days and nights. A June trip to play Wisconsin would be a joy, for instance.

Northern teams can choose to play on the road against teams that have been playing for up to a month outdoors, play terrible teams at home (southern teams don't need to leave home), try to cram games in mid week later in the season, throwing #3, #4 or #5 pitchers when the southern teams are throwing their aces more regularly etc etc.

Move the start date to April 15, after basketball is done. Then we can play the CWS in late July. Sounds good to me.

Comment

I'm not so sure we want a uniform start date later in the yr. Just think about all the Northern BCS schools that could pull recruits from us and then there would be more teams we would potentially have to out play to get into the regionals. Call me crazy but this would hurt mid majors....think about basketball or football

Comment

Originally posted by baseball06
                I'm not so sure we want a uniform start date later in the yr. Just think about all the Northern BCS schools that could pull recruits from us and then there would be more teams we would potentially have to out play to get into the regionals. Call me crazy but this would hurt mid majors....think about basketball or football
                A) "football is losing proposition into the foreseeable future"--Warren Armstrong

B) Non-BS Conference schools are competitive even in the criminal racketeering that is the NCAA tournament Division I basketball process.

C) Winning is perhaps the most significant aspect to recruiting for any program. I wish Krusty and crew could get the ship righted. I fear he's asleep at the helm or worse that he was correct as he alluded to the Oklahoma media and he's taken WSU as far as he can.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Why wasn't he so adamant about this new philosophy until now?

The hypocrisy of some people is just hilarious.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Re: Please read and share your comments...

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                    I'd like to see the thoughts of the Shocker fanbase:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2011061...change-the-cws
                    fluff piece as july 1st approaches. have you read an article in the weird herald looking at delany negatively? or any B1G school for that matter?

Comment

I do think the major problem would not only be with the southern schools, but also with the MLB. The draft takes place in June and they need to fill their short season teams. Moving the start date back would also have to be worked out with the MLB. Another reason it probably will not happen anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxPride
                        I do think the major problem would not only be with the southern schools, but also with the MLB. The draft takes place in June and they need to fill their short season teams. Moving the start date back would also have to be worked out with the MLB. Another reason it probably will not happen anytime soon.

I wondered when someone would bring this up. I hope the MLB doesn't have that kind of influence over the NCAA.

I fear, however, it does.

Comment

if MLB actually does go to hard-slotting should put more talent in the college ranks. with more talent available, maybe the gap shrinks and you see more northern schools with decent baseball programs.

i like the later start and ending. i also would like to see them let them play more games a year too though. playing in the summer should allow for that.

Comment

Maybe this is a dumb idea but what about splitting the season? 1/2 the season August to September and the other half March to May. Play the out of conference games in the fall only. Use both fall and spring results to determine who goes to the NCAA playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                            X